Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque Book refund?

Options
  • 15-04-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Received a cheque book from BOI today, I don't want it, can I send it back to my branch and get a refund of the stamp duty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yes. Don't use any cheques (some banks have rules about the cheque bokk having to be full) and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

vicwatson wrote: »
    Received a cheque book from BOI today, I don't want it, can I send it back to my branch and get a refund of the stamp duty?
    Were you actually charged the medallion stamp duty? Banks changed the way they charge for this some time ago. Instead of being charged all at once for an entire book of cheques in advance they now charge on an 'as you write' basis, or at least what you have written (been paid from your your account) within the quarterly charging period @ 50c per cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Were you actually charged the medallion stamp duty? Banks changed the way they charge for this some time ago. Instead of being charged all at once for an entire book of cheques in advance they now charge on an 'as you write' basis, or at least what you have written (been paid from your your account) within the quarterly charging period @ 50c per cheque.
    Thanks for that. I was wondering if I was enjoying some special arrangement with my bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I received a new book of cheques, then was debited €12.50 on my account for said cheques.

So if I send them back to the bank to say I don't want them I assume they will refund my €12.50?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone know on this? Tks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yep, they're obliged to refund you if you return them unused.

Advertisement