Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phlebotomy Course

Options
  • 15-04-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, Is there anyone out there that has undertaken a Phlebotomy course in the UK and found work here in Ireland. I am considering doing a 2 x day course with Maxis Healthcare and then a one day live blood session but want to make sure it is valid in Ireland.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

I'm not a phlebotomist myself, but friends who've found phlebotomy work were trained on the job with no prior experience. So I wouldn't say it would make a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Phoeb135

Thanks AndrewJD. Appreciate your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Phoeb135 wrote: »
    Hi, Is there anyone out there that has undertaken a Phlebotomy course in the UK and found work here in Ireland. I am considering doing a 2 x day course with Maxis Healthcare and then a one day live blood session but want to make sure it is valid in Ireland.
    Thanks

There is an embargo on hiring in the HSE afaik. There may be positions in private hospitals, but you'd have to check if they accept that course.

Thanks Abby19. The problem is getting someone in the HSE to actually confirm if they will accept this course. It is like getting blood from a stone - pardon the pun!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Phoeb135 wrote: »
    Thanks Abby19. The problem is getting someone in the HSE to actually confirm if they will accept this course. It is like getting blood from a stone - pardon the pun!

I don't actually think the HSE is hiring. That is one of the problems that junior doctors are citing as to why their workload is so bad on weekends, they have to do all the routine phlebotomy as well as their own work. I have heard of a hospital that when a phlebotomist left they weren't replaced.

A lot of the phlebotomists I have met used to be (are still?) nurses who drifted into phlebotomy.

Private hospitals may have openings - but they are each individual entities and you may have to contact each individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 phleb

Hi,

I would definitely secure some clinical placement before spending money on any course.
    In-house training is very rare these days unless you are an RGN.

Thanks for that. I am in the process of doing that now so fingers crossed it will work out.

Advertisement