Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My shoes

Options
  • 15-04-2013 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

New member recently and have enjoyed my reading so far. I am 31 years, running since August 2012, ran 2 x 10k's (PB 47 min), 2 half Marathons (PB 1:38) and have a lot planned this year the finally being DCM 2013 where I hope for 3 hr!

I run and train with Brookes Ghost and am trying the five fingers. At the moment I am looking at switching to the Saucony Kinvara. This is because I noticed from looking at my current runner I seem to be heal striking. I naturally run on my forefoot/mid and am a neutral runner as far as my gate test in November 2012 said. The heel striking maybe due to when I get tired, run slower or the cushioning on the ghost's. The Kinvara has less cushioning and are a lighter shoe so hopefully will prevent heel striking or at least hurt me let me know. Any feedback on the runners. I am doing the Wexford Half on Sunday where I hope to get 1:30-1:35 depending on how I perform. I was going to wear my old runners Asics Enduro 7 which I think are in better condition than the ghost. I wear these as everyday runners and in the gym etc. I only got the Ghost in November 2012 and the heels are worn down more on the outer side. Any advice welcome!

Kind Regards

Wolf!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Shoes alone won't change your running form, but going to a lighter, more flexible shoe with a lower profile like the Kinvara will help you make adjustments to your form as you develop sensory pathways.

Be careful with the transition as too much too soon will possibly hurt you.

Enjoy and good luck with the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Hi Amphkingwest,

Thank you for the feedback. I've been doing some short runs with the 5 fingers so that has started preparing the calf's!

Thank you again.

Kinvara are a good shoe and feel very fast. Will definitely improve your times. Good cushion in them also. Transition to long distances gingerly though as although they're cushioned the upper is not as rigid as the shoes that you've been using thus far so you should take it easy.

Thank you Glasso I am looking forward to getting them!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Hi Wolf,

I was previously running with Asics 3030 and training with Marell Barefoot Access.
    I switched to Kinvara 3 a few weeks back [ thanks to our friends in Bray :-) ] and absolutely love them.
    Calves have been ok so far , maybe thanks to compression socks , but all my previous Asics aches are gone
    Enjoy !

• Advertisement

Thank folks,

I got the gate test and my alignment is great and I land on the ball of my foot! They said I am a neutral runner. Thanks for the feedback really looking forward to getting them, I had to order my size 12!

Did roughly 5 miles@6:32 avg last night. It felt much more comfortable and this morning I felt good (no heel pain!) Will buy a second pair......

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Kinvara 4 is out today .... :-)

Might buy them! Will have to not eat pizza for a month!

Advertisement