Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIPS FOR LIVING WITH A COLOSTOMY BAG

Options
  • 15-04-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All, I am looking for a little advice, my mom had just been given a temporary colostomy bag. We are so grateful it is only for three months however she is finding it very difficult to adjust to it.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any tips to make this easier. There are a couple of things bothering her. as the bag is quite high she is concerned about clothes. Any trousers etc will have to be wore under her boobs. also she is worried that others can smell the bag when it fills. she is also finding it difficult to change the bag but she realising that she will just have to get on with this.

i have looked it up on line but if anyone who is dealing with this everyday has any tips if would be great.

Thanks,

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

First off, this must be a very distressing time for your mum. I have a colostomy bag (also temporary) . I have mine about 18 months and im 32 yrs old and female.

Initially it will seem to your mum to be something foreign attached to her... I know in the beginning I would only wear tracksuits and t shirts that were two sizes too big for me because I was convinced it was the only thing that people would see when they looked at me. After a few weeks I was back into all my normal clothes.

It will take a number of weeks to settle down... their will be challenges, lots of gas, it will be trial and error regarding food and what works and what doesn't.

Changing the bag will get easier, it takes practice and confidence but she will get there. it is important that she is using the right supplies and what is right this week might not be next week. I went through maybe 10-15 types of bags before I found one that worked for me... if she is having trouble positioning it, maybe a two piece would be an option.

Is there a support network in her hospital i.e. a stoma nurse?

Finally, please feel free to PM me if you would like to chat further...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Advertisement