Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is everything more expensive here?

• 15-04-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

Has anybody found anything to be cheaper in New Zealand than for a similar item at home?
    Granola bars are the only thing I have found!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Has anybody found anything to be cheaper in New Zealand than for a similar item at home?
    Granola bars are the only thing I have found!

Online, aggregate comparison sites are obviously not a science, but this one suggests Restrauants are cheaper there than Ireland, Ill let you tell me:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Ireland&country2=New+Zealand
    Consumer Prices in New Zealand are 7.43% higher than in Ireland
    Consumer Prices Including Rent in New Zealand are 9.93% higher than in Ireland
    Rent Prices in New Zealand are 17.35% higher than in Ireland
    Restaurant Prices in New Zealand are 3.79% lower than in Ireland
    Groceries Prices in New Zealand are 11.79% higher than in Ireland
    Local Purchasing Power in New Zealand is 6.18% lower than in Ireland

This is how it ranks Oz:
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Ireland&country2=Australia
    Consumer Prices in Australia are 26.71% higher than in Ireland
    Consumer Prices Including Rent in Australia are 42.38% higher than in Ireland
    Rent Prices in Australia are 88.94% higher than in Ireland
    Restaurant Prices in Australia are 18.70% higher than in Ireland
    Groceries Prices in Australia are 28.94% higher than in Ireland
    Local Purchasing Power in Australia is 12.06% higher than in Ireland

Numbeo seems to use submitted values to correct, per city so it might be more accurate than the more theoretical ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Goiing to the doctor was cheaper in NZ six years ago .. don't know if it's still the case. But I was paying maybe $NZ60 per visit there, vs €50 per visit in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fuel
    Car insurance
    Seasonal veg
    Chips (take away)
    Car tax & servicing
    Tax in general
    Healthcare - doctor, dentist, other practitioners
    Hospitals and drugs
    Spirits but not wine or beer

That's what springs to mind straight away, I'm sure there's plenty more odd bits and pieces

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Fish and chips.

Everything else is more expensive to buy. Services like doctor and dentist seem cheaper. Things you buy certainly aren't. The amount if kiwis who think stuff is cheap here is unbelieveble though!! I'm constantly told how cheap cars are here. Eh no, they're about 3 to 4 times the price they are at home.

Countdown last night, 12 dollars for two litres of Ribena.

FearDark wrote: »
    I'm constantly told how cheap cars are here. Eh no, they're about 3 to 4 times the price they are at home.
    There is no easy comparison as when cars are new/newer they are considerably cheaper there, but what you dont get is the titanic drop off in value (and therefore lack of servicing etc) that you get in Ireland.

Eg:
    2011 BMW 640i Vert in Nz
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-557573584.htm
    $95k

2011 BMW 640i Vert in Ireland:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/640i-SE-/30613492550738510/advert?channel=CARS
    $123k

Fast forward 6years and the Irish car will be sold for under half the value of the Nz car due to Tax, Fuel, Service costs etc. If you can afford to get on the "car ladder" earlier in Nz, then logically this is a better proposition isnt it?

PS: I dont have 100k for cars either.

• Advertisement

I think cars are cheap here, certainly better value anyway as you can get proper engines and spec instead of Paddy versions and running costs are much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Fuel
    Car insurance
    Seasonal veg
    Chips (take away)
    Car tax & servicing
    Tax in general
    Healthcare - doctor, dentist, other practitioners
    Hospitals and drugs
    Spirits but not wine or beer

That's what springs to mind straight away, I'm sure there's plenty more odd bits and pieces

Fuel: not by much
    Car insurance: yes
    Running costs of cars: I don't know, you have to get a warrant every 6 months and if prices for other things are anything to go by I wouldn't think that mechanics would be cheap.
    I haven't seen any veg here that are cheap comparing to what you would pay in aldi, seasonal or not. They probably just seem cheaper in season because they are so bloody expensive when out of season.
    I had nice fish and chips tonight, $12 and that fed 6 of us. Point to New Zealand.
    Healthcare: I got free insulin and diabetic gear in ireland, have to pay $15 a prescription here, not complaining about that. They let me in their country, I don't mind paying a bit for my medical needs but its free at home.

We were in a shop in Cambridge on Sunday and I saw a vest for $90, it would cost no more than €5 in penny's. we were in the warehouse last week and saw a quilt for $690, we were laughing about it because we didn't know if it was a mistake or not. Only for it was the warehouse we thought it would not be that dear, I saw quilts for close to that price in farmers.

Rent: WTF!!!

I like the country but the prices are really starting to bring me down. I am on good money here but my wife is not working yet as she can't find a job and we are on the breadline. We were both on the dole back home but we lived more comfortably than we do here.

Why is nz wine more expensive than any other nationality wine?

New Zealand lamb, yeah right! maybe someday when I get a raise and the wife gets a job we might be able to go mad and buy some.

I hope I get used to this because if I don't I'm counting the days till I can afford the extortionist prices they charge for a plane ticket out of this fcuking place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Hey black where about's you in new zealand?:D what would you think a single lad in his 20's would need to survive an hour?:D

We were in a shop in Cambridge on Sunday and I saw a vest for $90, it would cost no more than €5 in penny's. we were in the warehouse last week and saw a quilt for $690, we were laughing about it because we didn't know if it was a mistake or not

Was the quality the same though? I've bought a lot of stuff from Penny's that lasts 3-6 months then falls apart.

I went looking for a better quality pillow the other week. Cheap rubblish was cheap ... decent ones started at E80!

Was the quality the same though? I've bought a lot of stuff from Penny's that lasts 3-6 months then falls apart.
    I went looking for a better quality pillow the other week. Cheap rubblish was cheap ... decent ones started at E80!

Ikea or Tesco do really cheap decent stuff. I bougth a Tesco Value duvet, lasted me 3+ years until I moved over here. Cost less than 20. Ikea pillows are about 15-25 for the decent ones. Linen over here is loony prices, even with Briscoe's constant 60% off you'd be cheaper importing it.
    Fuel: not by much1.60 in Ire, 1.34 eur equiv in NZ, 16% cheaper
    Car insurance: yes by a ****ing country mile. I could buy another car with the price difference
    Running costs of cars: I don't know, you have to get a warrant every 6 months and if prices for other things are anything to go by I wouldn't think that mechanics would be cheap.rego is less than tax for most cars, insurance is less, fuel is less, IMO servicing is cheaper especially the likes of oil and fluids, less tolls, warrants are only 32eur every 6 months vs 55 a year - with talk of 6 monthly happening
    I haven't seen any veg here that are cheap comparing to what you would pay in aldi, seasonal or not. They probably just seem cheaper in season because they are so bloody expensive when out of season. 3 corn cobs for a dollar, pumpkins for $3 are a couple of notable ones - though in general veg is more expensive and lower quality
    Healthcare: I got free insulin and diabetic gear in ireland, have to pay $15 a prescription here, not complaining about that. They let me in their country, I don't mind paying a bit for my medical needs but its free at home.I've had three of my friends in A&E while here, all covered, prescription from Doctor or Hospital are generally covered under the drugs scheme and cost 3-5 dollars. I actually had to buy something that wasn't covered and the pharmacist apologised that it cost $6, it would have cost 20eur+ at home without question. Though my fiancee bitches about the cost of the pill so I suppose it balances out depending on what you need
    Rent: WTF!!!
    The lack of quality of houses really makes this one hurt, expensive and ****. Though being outside the likes of Auckland and Wellington really helps.
    Why is nz wine more expensive than any other nationality wine?
    generally because it's exported so they don't care. You can buy NZ wine in Ireland for less than you can here.
    New Zealand lamb, yeah right! maybe someday when I get a raise and the wife gets a job we might be able to go mad and buy some.
    Again because it's all exported. I'm yet to have any lamb here that's been as good as it's made out to be. Expensive and crap because all the good stuff is exported.

Milk is also REALLY expensive here. Don't understand why given the vast vast quantities they produce but $3.40 v 1.65eur

• Advertisement

The fruit and veg is really bad quality, I struggle to find a decent bag of apples for the kids lunches. Mushrooms go soft after about 2 days. I do like the fresh corn though and it is good value.
    I hear the ESB is meant to be very expensive and is going to shoot up when I plug in all the bloody heaters I am going to have to buy to heat the kids bedrooms for the winter.
    Whats the story with the milk, I dident think you could export it but I hear they do and we pay more here because of it.
    The rent is the killer, we pay $400 a week, I was trying to rent my 3 bed semi in Ireland for 350 euros a month. And where is the euro symbol on keyboards down here, i'm fed up typing euros to people back home!
    Internet is another one, $100 a month, it is an unlimited plan but still twice what I was paying back home for 160gb with digiweb.
    My son was told he needs an eye test for glasses but that is not covered and we cant afford to get it done. He also has flat feet and got special insoles made for him in Ireland. He wont get that here and I can only imaging what it would cost to get them made.
    We bought all our bedding in Penneys for years and the quality never bothered me, I think we bought our quilt in TK Max for about 60 quid. The price of them here is crazy. I just cant understand how kiwis on low income can survive here.
    What annoys me is that there is no middle ground, things are either sh1t and cheap or good and really expensive. Where is the half decent, cheap enough stuff???

Internet is another one, $100 a month, it is an unlimited plan but still twice what I was paying back home for 160gb with digiweb.

you're getting ripped off there. We get Sky, sports and Broadband for $142 as a package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Well due to the small population and economies of scale the cost of shipping some goods here is high compared to the EU. Remember its a tiny little country in the global scale of things tucked away down the bottom corner of the planet...but that only really applies to some consumer electronics and larger goods etc and doesnt explain why clothes and cheap crap from China is not actually cheap.

Cookie Monsters list was pretty exact I think.

Milk/Cheese and Meat are kept at high prices by Fonterra and their National buddies.

House Prices influence Rent, they are both very high right now as we're nearing the peak of a bubble. Expect dips in the next 5 years hopefully.

you're getting ripped off there. We get Sky, sports and Broadband for $142 as a package.

I checked lots of different offers and that was the best I could see.

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Hey black where about's you in new zealand?:D what would you think a single lad in his 20's would need to survive an hour?:D

I havent a clue man, I am married man nearing 40 with 4 kids in school and childminders. What you need to survive would be way less than me.

I checked lots of different offers and that was the best I could see.

We've got Vodafone fixed l BB ($65) with Sky + Mysky ($5 offer) + Sports
    And 2 mobiles with Vodafone also - mobile bill is separate but I think I get a discount on the BB due to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭20260622

I find most things in New Zealand incredibly expensive. Clothes, cosmetics, toiletries/personal care items to name but a few.

A couple of examples that I still can't get over is dry shampoo and tanning mitts, both can be bought in Penneys for €2-€3, you would get little change from $20 for each of them over here :eek: :eek: I stocked up on both while I was home for Christmas ;) Ebay is a god send for cosmetics, always cheaper, including postage!

And just this morning, I went into Countdown/Foodtown (whatever it's called now) for an avocado, the were selling FOUR avocados for $7!! $7!!! WTF! :eek:
    Needless to say I went to my local veg shop after work and got SIX for $3, they were in better nick than the ones in the supermarket too :D

I don't drive myself but the other half does and in general, all things car related (cost of the car itself, rego, insurance, wof, petrol) are cheaper than at home. That's about the only thing I can think of that's cheaper than at home.

But I think we also need to factor in the fact that alot of stuff back home has come down in price (except taxes of course!!) since the recession.

I cant yet comment on NZD prices, but can on the Irish prices:
    The rent is the killer, we pay $400 a week, I was trying to rent my 3 bed semi in Ireland for 350 euros a month.
    That would be exceptionally (and unrealistic for benchmarking) cheap rent in Ireland. 3bed around Dublin is around EUR900 to EUR1200 per month.
    And where is the euro symbol on keyboards down here, i'm fed up typing euros to people back home!
    Either type "EUR" or:
    http://fsymbols.com/signs/euro/
    I pay EUR80 per bill Eircom, every 2mths for 8Mb DSL, Unlimited, so not really miles apart. Its the only option in my area.

I dont live in Dublin so any prices I mention are not relating to there. There are lots of other places in Ireland with loads of people living in them.
    Typing EUR is more bother than typing euros!
    80 euros for 2 months is the equivalent of $125, I pay $100 a month so almost double what you pay.

And where is the euro symbol on keyboards down here, i'm fed up typing euros to people back home!

Pressing ALT and 0128 works for me ;)

• Advertisement

20260622 wrote: »
    Pressing ALT and 0128 works for me ;)

Not for me, I'm not sure how to press them, in a row or all together?

Not for me, I'm not sure how to press them, in a row or all together?

Hold down ALT and then press 0128 :)

whatdayaknow, it worked

Nothing!

Nothing!

:mad: Hmmm....try holding down ALT GR & press 4 or 5??

Or Ctrl + Alt + E ??

:mad: Hmmm....try holding down ALT GR & press 4 or 5??
    I don't have one of them on my kiwi keyboard, two alt and two windows buttons though.
    Or Ctrl + Alt + E ??
    nope

they've a lot of slight difference in the keyboards here, it could be mapped totally different under the UK New Zealand mappings for language but it is under alt 0128 on the character map

I don't have one of them on my kiwi keyboard, two alt and two windows buttons though.

Wierd :confused: The right Alt on my keyboard is Alt Gr.

Ctrl + Alt + E only works for me in Word :confused:

Will keep using Alt+0128 as it works for me :)

And just this morning, I went into Countdown/Foodtown (whatever it's called now) for an avocado, the were selling FOUR avocados for $7!! $7!!! WTF! :eek:
    Needless to say I went to my local veg shop after work and got SIX for $3, they were in better nick than the ones in the supermarket too :D

If you haven't worked out the difference between Foodtown and Countdown, then I'm not surprised that you're finding things expensive. It's like sayin "SuperValu/Lidl (whatever it's called now)".

But if your local shop was that cheap, you musht hve been lookng at organic ones in the supermarket.

The rent is the killer, we pay $400 a week, I was trying to rent my 3 bed semi in Ireland for 350 euros a month.

You cannot compare renting in Bally-small-town-far-away with renting in a city in NZ. (Yes, I'm making assumptions - but a 2br apartment in Galway city costs E800pcm ... so a 3brm for half that must be in the arse-end of nowhere.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ah well some things are dearer down here then back in good old Ireland. Every country has its ups and downs. Personally I really don't care, paying a little extra for stuff is worth it to have the quality of life, gorgeous scenery and lifestyle that is possible here that I could never have in Ireland.

But sadly I know how hard it can be for people on low to mid incomes to get ahead and feed a family/mortgage but the same situation is replicated across the world, its not just a kiwi problem. Many Kiwis have to emigrate to Oz/UK to find better paid work and their place is filled by us migrants able to earn a bit more but aghast at the cost of living. Vicious circle really.

I do wish Guinness was a bit cheaper.

Advertisement