Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash on the M9 (Saturday, 13th April)

Options
  • 15-04-2013 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭

I forgot to mention this on the day and only remembered now. It was close to Knocktopher I think and the car was absolutely mangled. I wonder if the driver was critically injured, hope not. My heart kind of sunk driving past it as it's rare for me to be seeing things like this. :/

Did anyone else see this over the weekend? It was on a bridge as well and I think he/she was lucky the fence didn't break all the way or it would've been fatal.

The news didn't seem to have any updates after, only that there were emergency services at the area and diversions were taking place. Not much to go on considering the amount of damage the car had at the front. The weather was fierce as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was driving northbound and saw it on the southbound lane. Police and two fire engines were there, and the whole section of road between the exit before and the exit after were closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Yeah, and what I found bizarre was that there was no ambulance in sight.. Unless he had been and gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

gamercfc wrote: »
    Yeah, and what I found bizarre was that there was no ambulance in sight.. Unless he had been and gone.
    I reckon the ambulance was probably at full speed to A&E by then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Saw this on Saturday as well,

Firetruck, two fire engines and two Gardai cars, front of the car was in bits as was the railing on the bridge. Car was facing north on the southbound lane, Based on the state of the car the state of the driver/any passengers seemed questionable.

Given that part of the road is relatively straight and weather wasn't the worst in the world in my view, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how they managed to crash like they did.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I hope the driver is okay, however, if that barrier was supposed to be capable of stopping an articulated lorry from going over off the bridge, I am going to suggest that it would not have taken much more force and the driver would have been on the road below, from the Kilkenny People picture.
    If those of you who saw the aftermath agree, then serious questions must be asked as to the validity of the claim that such barriers would stop an articulated lorry.
    If the barrier is not as suggested then who was responsible for the erection of the barrier which did not conform to the required standard, how many other bridges are so equipped.
    It looks like answers are needed pretty dam quick, how was the barrier tested in the first place, what is the maximum speed a vehicle in varying categories will go through the barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

gamercfc wrote: »

There was 2 at the scene when I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Seen it on Sat teh arse of the car was hanging over the Bridge ....scary stuff thinking it could of went right through it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Anyone see the crash this morning just at Danesfort?? When i passed there was only an ambulance at the scene. One of the cars looked pretty bad, hope no one was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I hope the driver is okay, however, if that barrier was supposed to be capable of stopping an articulated lorry from going over off the bridge, I am going to suggest that it would not have taken much more force and the driver would have been on the road below, from the Kilkenny People picture.
    If those of you who saw the aftermath agree, then serious questions must be asked as to the validity of the claim that such barriers would stop an articulated lorry.
    If the barrier is not as suggested then who was responsible for the erection of the barrier which did not conform to the required standard, how many other bridges are so equipped.
    It looks like answers are needed pretty dam quick, how was the barrier tested in the first place, what is the maximum speed a vehicle in varying categories will go through the barrier.
    From the picture the car seemed to hit the barrier directly rather than gradually. I speculate that this was not the type of impact expected on a mostly straight motorway. The car may have ricocheted off the central medium before hitting the barrier, if so I'd be as concerned about what would cause the car to lose control at that point. Was it driver error, car defect, or other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I would agree with your synopsis, this type of crash would not be expected on a straight motorway, however is there in fact a different barrier used for straight sections to area's where accidents might occur.
    One problem is that accidents rarely occur to order, it matters little how the car came to hit the barrier, the fact it did and the barrier appears to have only just saved the driver from further injury and possibly anyone driving underneath.
    I would still look for an answer as to how the crash barrier was tested and the results of such tests.
    I thought your points were excellent, the problem that excessive speed can completely change the scenario, not that I am suggesting that.
    We await perhaps official confirmation as to the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Around that stretch of road, imo, water gathers after/during rain at a level which I guess could cause aquaplaning.

Minister wrote: »
    Around that stretch of road, imo, water gathers after/during rain at a level which I guess could cause aquaplaning.

Yeah +1 on that i was driving down it the other night and the amount of water there was mad i wouldnt be surprised if that was the cause of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I actually drove under this on the bridge below. Jesus, that barrier really saved his life. that drop is massive. The barrier is still destroyed as of yesterday at least.
    It happened half way between Ballyhale and Mulinavat. Near Lukeswell.

Here it is on Google maps to get some perspective from below.

http://goo.gl/maps/cSGO8

Worst thing about this, is the ambulance had a long way to travel. If it was dispatched from Waterford, it would have had to go all the wayto Knoctopher and turn around to get on the Southbound motorway.
    Either that or dispatched from Kilkenny, which would have been equally as long, if not longer.

Also wasnt the weather really bad that day? I think there was heavy rain and fog around that area.

I actually drove under this on the bridge below. Jesus, that barrier really saved his life. that drop is massive.

Happened half way between Ballyhale and Mulinavat. Near Lukeswell.

Here it is on Google maps to get some perspective.

http://goo.gl/maps/cSGO8

Worst thing about this, is the ambulance had a long way to travel. If it was dispatched from Waterford, it would have had to go all the wayto Knoctopher and turn around to get on the Southbound motorway.
    Either that or dispatched from Kilkenny, which would have been equally as long, if not longer.

Also wasnt the weather really bad that day? I think there was heavy rain and fog around that area.

It would of been quicker from Kilkenny i drive that road everyday its definitely quicker from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Both ambulances responded from Kilkenny. Three Paramedics and an Advanced Paramedic were on scene, in two Ambulances. The casualty was then transferred directly to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Saw the fence the other day there it's completely banjaxed. Personally I found it strange that the fence was so damaged the way it was for a car to hit.

PS: (the lad above me there, some name :D)

Advertisement