Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Smackdown would be great, especially as we are (I suspect) very different runners. Have your kid and get training. Loser pays for a couple of beers for the winner and has to wear the singlet from the other club in the pub?

Brilliant, come on the drquirky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Wouldnt be sure. I didnt run dcm this year. We had three under 3hrs (2:49 fastest) but two of those are running berlin this year (a load from the club are going) and one is running poznan (!). Ray is getting fit and id say has a good 26.2 in him.

Smackdown would be great, especially as we are (I suspect) very different runners. Have your kid and get training. Loser pays for a couple of beers for the winner and has to wear the singlet from the other club in the pub?

im putting it on the line here, your 5k time is a good 45-50 sec faster than mine right now.....

Good stuff you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

drquirky wrote: »
    Good stuff you're on.

Great.

[puts runners on]

9/1 am 7miles recovery 8min p/m

pm 4.5 miles easy 7:10 p/m

Really enjoying the doubles. Feeling good especially this evening as the am run really flushed the legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good stuff you're on.

I reckon if you can improve your breathing technique you'll win easily. Less running man and more breathing ;)

• Advertisement

10/1 8 miles easy

11/1 5 miles easy w/ strides

12/1 6K XC Dublin Masters Championships 30th place report to follow.

13/1 off

14/1 8 miles easy

15/1 Tempo 5 miles tempo in 28:46 (5:48, 5:43, 5:39, 5:52, 5:42) Happy with this. On the Acres in the PP. Needed this for the confidence after what seemed like a disastrous race on Sunday (on further examination not so much) Felt really strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

10/1 8 miles easy

11/1 5 miles easy w/ strides

12/1 6K XC Dublin Masters Championships 30th place report to follow.

13/1 off

14/1 8 miles easy

15/1 Tempo 5 miles tempo in 28:46 (5:48, 5:43, 5:39, 5:52, 5:42) Happy with this. On the Acres in the PP. Needed this for the confidence after what seemed like a disastrous race on Sunday (on further examination not so much) Felt really strong.

Didn't realise you had session today feck doing same one myself this evening

ecoli wrote: »

Sucks. So much easier doing this type of thing together! I shoulda texted ya.

Sucks. So much easier doing this type of thing together! I shoulda texted ya.

No problem to be honest I wasn't thinking myself sure will be doing the usual pre race pyramid workout next thursday if you interested

No problem to be honest I wasn't thinking myself sure will be doing the usual pre race pyramid workout next thursday if you interested

Yup. For sure.

• Advertisement

15/1 Tempo 5 miles tempo in 28:46 (5:48, 5:43, 5:39, 5:52, 5:42) Happy with this.

+1 ran a five mile tempo myself yesterday. Bit slower though.

15/1 pm 30 mins easy- keeping with the double days.

Was coming into this race w/ training going really well and confidence high. A few teammates and I had a look at previous years results and we seemed like having a good shot at a medal w/ a solid enough team (though not the best team we could have fielded for M35 lol).

Got down to St. Annes and did a w/u w/ TRR and another teammate. Felt good on the line hooter went and we were off. Got out quickly enough (I'm pretty experienced at XC so don;t usually get caught in the initial scrum). Tight enough for the first k around corners etc…I was sitting about 3/4 meters off TRR for the first 2k. K's 3 and 4 were fine TRR moved up 10-15 meters in front of me and I was happy w/ my position as having him reasonably close is a good sign for me. at 3.5k teammate pulled up alongside and I went with him- suddenly, disaster- I got spiked right on the inside of my left foot. :mad:

Good amount of pain ensued- wash't tripped up but completely lost focus. At 4k my teammate had 20m on me and I was hurting. Then pain in my foot was forcing me to run awkwardly on the outside of my left foot and my entire focus shifted from the race to the foot. Thought about dropping out but as was a team comp that wash;t gonna happen so sucked it up, bled a good few places and dragged it in 30th place right in front of T-Runner :eek:.

Went straight over to first aid guys and blood allover the spike- got washed out patched up and sent on my way. Was initially pissed at the result but everyone right in front and even a couple of places behind had way quicker marathon PB's and I was right around some pretty decent runners so not gonna beat myself up too much.

Haven't hit a race right yet but I think my current fitness is very good and I reckon Raheny could be really good if things go right- might also hit a 5k time trial on the track (Ecoli, TRR? Anyone else interested for a fun race?) as a confidence booster before I go into baby imposed hibernation for a month or so.

Foot is still not healed and am having to wash it out and change bandages every night- have managed to keep running on it but am really closely taking care of it to make sure it doesn't get infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Damn, I hadn't heard that bit of the race. You'd still have been chicked of course ;) but it barely counts now...

sorry to hear that drquirky, rotten luck. Hope it heals quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

suddenly, disaster- I got spiked right on the inside of my left foot. :mad:
    Unlucky celebrity Quirks! Hope it heals up soon. If your 5k track time-trial is an 'invitational', drop me a line. Wouldn't mind setting a marker on a flat wind neutral loop.

Yesterday 16/1 70mins easy. Didn't wanna do this run but I did anyways.

Ok question time. I have 2 goals before I take a little break.

1. I wanna run well in Raheny

2. I wanna run a decent 5k either on the track or in a Parkrun.

All this stuff needs to happen before Feb 1 or 2

What do you guys think in terms of my next weeks training. I was thinking

Today 90 mins

Tomorrow possible park run or 45 mins easy

Sunday (if hadn't ran park run) 5k on track or if I did 1hr easy

Monday off

Tuesday 45mins easy

Weds 45mins easy

Thurs: race prep session w/ ecoli 4x200 2x400 1x800 2x400 4x200

Fri 30mins easy

Sat 25mins v. easy

Sunday Raheny

Will this put me at the startling in Raheny rested and ready? Should I do a 5k fast either Parkrun or track this weekend or should I leave it tip after Raheny? I'm at a loss here someone help me out!

My two cents - id not race hard 8 days before a proper goal race (you raced last weekend too!) but some get away with it. If you really want a fast time then a track timetrial doesnt mimic race conditions, so a parkrun might be best? Id recommend St Annes, very flat two lap course and the weather looks good for sat, so you have a decent chance of a fast time. If youre lucky someone else fast might turn up to push you.

Otherwise looks good, the speedwork on thurs looks very close to sunday, maybe on tues or wed?

Good luck

Otherwise looks good, the speedwork on thurs looks very close to sunday, maybe on tues or wed?

Good luck

Its a light session just to work on turnover for races with the only hard rep being the 800m, pretty much become one of our staples the thursday before big races.

Ye Sister Pearse runners are just soft ;)

@quirky I would leave the park run till the week after as a final blow out before you wrap up so you can empty the tank on it rather than have to worry about another race coming the week after. You have been racing alot of 5k's as of late and perhaps the 5 miler will just be the overdistance you need to break through to a new level.

Its a light session just to work on turnover for races with the only hard rep being the 800m, pretty much become one of our staples the thursday before big races.

Ye Sister Pearse runners are just soft ;)

@quirky I would leave the park run till the week after as a final blow out before you wrap up so you can empty the tank on it rather than have to worry about another race coming the week after. You have been racing alot of 5k's as of late and perhaps the 5 miler will just be the overdistance you need to break through to a new level.

Good call so maybe easy today LSR on Saturday, easy Sunday? Or should I do something a bit quicker?

• Advertisement

Good call so maybe easy today LSR on Saturday, easy Sunday? Or should I do something a bit quicker?

I would say 10 days with only one light session is probably a bit long alright (personally speaking). Perhaps something like 1600, 1200, 1000, 800, 400 or even a shorter sharper one - 600, 500, 400, 300, 200 just to retain some sort of turnover (paces would probably start at 10k pace and progressively get quicker or with the short one 3k and work down)

These don't have to be ball busting sessions decent recovery is fine given your at the end of your season its just about pace focus rather then aerobic development.

Alternatively (though probably not the most sensible) I am doin 20x400 tomorrow which is a decent 5k workout and you are more than welcome though we are in different stages of racing so might not be suitable

Alternatively (though probably not the most sensible) I am doin 20x400 tomorrow which is a decent 5k workout and you are more than welcome though we are in different stages of racing so might not be suitable

What time? I might come down and either do 10-12x400 or one of the sessions you suggested….

What time? I might come down and either do 10-12x400 or one of the sessions you suggested….

Say 10 or 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Say 10 or 11?

you know the track is occupied between 10 and 11.30 right?
    (haven't been down in a while so don't know if someone else is in right after us)

Well that escalated…

Saturday 30 mins easy

Sunday. Out at 9am for a session 3 mile warm up down to the furze rd - used the loops of the Tom Brennan 5k course for this one….As suggested by Ecoli-
    1mile 5:18

2mins jog recovery

1200m 3:59

2mins jog recover

1000m 3:15

2mins jog

800m 2:35

2mins

400m 76

2mins

200m 36

The fact that I went out an hit 5:18 on a mile for my first rep of the day says to me I'm entering a peak. I was wearing my normal trainers (not flats) it was cold etc etc basically any number of excuses to run a pretty poor mile split. Didn't happen- just locked in at around 5k pace and was good throughout.

Tacked on a few at the end to make it a 13mile day :D

Very solid splits for that session man fair play. Nice confidence booster to go into your next two races

Very solid splits for that session man fair play. Nice confidence booster to go into your next two races

Thanks dude- hope you're feeling better? Paddy Power offering any decent odds on your survival? :D

Its pickem's @ 5/6 :D

Should be back to normal in a day or two

Monday- off.

Tuesday 8 miles @ 6:58 p/m - nice easy run at night in the PP.

Weds 10 miles easy w/ Ecoli- Great to have the company Ecoli spent the time giving me tips on best ways to set up sock puppet accounts etc etc….(actually not true) still, beautiful day for a run and really loving my running atm.

Thurs. Ecoli and I met up @ the track for both of our favourite pre race session. We both nailed it if I do say so myself.

4x200 (35,35,35,34) 2x400 (75,74) 1x800 (2:30) 2x400 (74,74) 4x200 (36,35,35,35) (all w/ 200m jog recoveries)

Delighted. My best splits on this particular session and felt super energetic and left the track w/ a ton left in the tank. Have hit some good sessions recently and really interested to see how it plays out at Raheny. Just to put TRR on notice- the boy wonder had me by 8 secs in the 800 and looks in ridiculous shape!

2 very, very easy runs between now and Raheny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just to put TRR on notice- the boy wonder had me by 8 secs in the 800 and looks in ridiculous shape!
    Yeah, I am starting to regret setting the bar where we did. What's your favourite beer again? Coors light is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement