Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

drquirky wrote: »

Just to put TRR on notice- the boy wonder had me by 8 secs in the 800 and looks in ridiculous shape!

Just as well I'm not racing 800s so. Also just to put things into context, I ran 26.15 for 5 miles during the summer carrying an injury. I'll see how worried I am after Sunday :cool: Feck I'm nearly tempted to race on Sunday just to put you two tools in your place :p Now that's fighting talk!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    Just as well I'm not racing 800s so. Also just to put things into context, I ran 26.15 for 5 miles during the summer carrying an injury. I'll see how worried I am after Sunday :cool: Feck I'm nearly tempted to race on Sunday just to put you two tools in your place :p Now that's fighting talk!!!!

Thankfully for me your debilitating fear is a stronger emotion so, to keep you on the side line ;)

ecoli wrote: »
    Thankfully for me your debilitating fear is a stronger emotion so, to keep you on the side line ;)

The fear of being trumped in April is all I need to make sure I don't get trumped in April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The fear of being trumped in April is all I need to make sure I don't get trumped in April!

Similarly its making me work harder than Arnold Schwarzenegger trying to spell his name on an entry form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Yesterday: 5miles recovery (8:10p/m) have a bit of a sore throat and maybe a cold the last day or two- hopefully will be all clear for Sunday.

Today 25/1 30mins very easy w/ 6 strides. All set for tomorrow- still small cold but hopefully on the way out. Not fun running this morning as my whole are was smoky from that stupid Ballymount fire.

• Advertisement

Yesterday: 5miles recovery (8:10p/m) have a bit of a sore throat and maybe a cold the last day or two- hopefully will be all clear for Sunday.

Today 25/1 30mins very easy w/ 6 strides. All set for tomorrow- still small cold but hopefully on the way out. Not fun running this morning as my whole are was smoky from that stupid Ballymount fire.

I was on the Naas road earlier and the visibility was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Not fun running this morning as my whole are was smoky from that stupid Ballymount fire.

Did you miss an 's' in there??

Give it a good bash tomorrow.

Head cold not really getting better. Resting pulse rate normal though (41) and certainly only stuffed up (nothing in chest) gonna wait a few hrs and make a call on this….annoyed :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I feel your pain. I have had this since wednesday.....

its not pb weather, so the pressure is off anyway. HR usually a good guide for me being safe to run. Good luck if you decide to do it.

Call made. Damn the torpedoes, I'm running. See you guys out there!

• Advertisement

Nothing to lose and as TBB says not exactly ideal conditions so pressure off and all about race position. Ill but you a beer if you do a snipe job on ecoli ;)

27:39 or so (pending official results). Happy enough with this. Tough conditions and was not feeling incredible. Went off well- marked Ecoli as we run lots of workouts together so I'm really comfortable running with him- kinda just went with him for the first mile or so….dunno why but mile 1 felt harder than it should have been. We were just behind the Sister's Pearse superstar for awhile but pushed on and went w/ Kiely Unusual for awhile.

Went through the 5k in 16:59 - looking at my watch wayy too much. Sat on KU until the hill at mile 4 where he dropped me- suffered on the hill (the pics are hilarious) but tired to pull myself together for the finish. Not so sure about time but (although i haven't seen the results yet) finished around an awful lot of runners who've been further up on me in the past. One of my better races in awhile for sure considering conditions etc…

BTW exorcised the ghost of being "chicked" by a Sister's Pearse runner 2 weeks ago and finished in front of their whole squad (you could almost consider this the "main thing" lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

27:39 or so (pending official results). Happy enough with this. Tough conditions and was not feeling incredible. Went off well- marked Ecoli as we run lots of workouts together so I'm really comfortable running with him- kinda just went with him for the first mile or so….dunno why but mile 1 felt harder than it should have been. We were just behind the Sister's Pearse superstar for awhile but pushed on and went w/ Kiely Unusual for awhile.

Went through the 5k in 16:59 - looking at my watch wayy too much. Sat on KU until the hill at mile 4 where he dropped me- suffered on the hill (the pics are hilarious) but tired to pull myself together for the finish. Not so sure about time but (although i haven't seen the results yet) finished around an awful lot of runners who've been further up on me in the past. One of my better races in awhile for sure considering conditions etc…

BTW exorcised the ghost of being "chicked" by a Sister's Pearse runner 2 weeks ago and finished in front of their whole squad (you could almost consider this the "main thing" lol)

It's official

Pretty funny about the sister's pearse runner. Their top runner (the 3rd female) was 30 seconds behind you. But the lad that 'chicked' you at the xc was 2 minutes back!! (I guess he was pacing one of the other guys though..)
    Some running by Catrina mc. She must be making a serious comeback...

That's a super time for a sick guy..........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    But the lad that 'chicked' you at the xc was 2 minutes back!! (I guess he was pacing one of the other guys though..)

Nah, hamstring trouble after about a mile. I caught up with him around the halfway mark, he was just jogging to the finish

BTW exorcised the ghost of being "chicked" by a Sister's Pearse runner 2 weeks ago and finished in front of their whole squad

Ha. You just keep talking. I find it exquisitely motivating.

Yeah liam had a dodgy hamstring at halfway so jogged to sub 30 to help a clubmate. Were like that at our club, weve no track, but were a real club.

Hahaha I just had a chuckle to myself imagining the infinitesmally small amount of time TRR would spend considering doing that for you if the situation arose mid race. Femptoseconds perhaps :)

(Begrudging congrats on the run, thats some time to do in that weather and feeling under the weather)

Yeah liam had a dodgy hamstring at halfway so jogged to sub 30 to help a clubmate. Were like that at our club, weve no track, but were a real club.

Hahaha I just had a chuckle to myself imagining the infinitesmally small amount of time TRR would spend considering doing that for you if the situation arose mid race. Femptoseconds perhaps :)

(Begrudging congrats on the run, thats some time to do in that weather and feeling under the weather)

I'm calling him out on this. He's a bottler. The red and yellow put the fear of god into him. The difference in 5.40 and 5.5x wouldn't be significant enough to protect a hammy. It's not exactly explosive sprint speed. He was running scared, simple as.

And you're right I wouldn't help a club mate like that. I'd try to finish as high up the field as I could for the club team! That's how we roll ;)

Drquirky has a mega plan for DCM2014, hope you're ready to step up to the challenge TBB

Drquirky has a mega plan for DCM2014

Lactate shunt sessions?

Thanks Tbb….

BTW did yourself, Raycun or PVincent happen to notice the weekend we(TAC) put together? National Junior Record (6.88) in the 60m indoors on Sat (w/ 3 of the top 5 finishers) 1st (49:xx) and 4th (50:xx) in the Dungarvan 10m on Sunday !!! TBH myself and Ecoli finishing in front of the entire BP squad and intimidating your "No.1" guy into crapping his pants and feigning some "hamstring injury" was a mere blip on the TAC radar- we've way bigger fish to fry!

Monday- No running

Tuesday 14miles @ 7:20 p/m w/ Ecoli and TRR. Uneventful other than TRR constantly badgering myself and Ecoli to run down to the Furry Glen "just to check it out" coupling that with the sideways glances and the constant complimenting of our beards and the two of us were starting to get a little freaked out. I made my excuses at the Islandbridge gate and left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks Tbb….

BTW did yourself, Raycun or PVincent happen to notice the weekend we(TAC) put together? National Junior Record (6.88) in the 60m indoors on Sat (w/ 3 of the top 5 finishers) 1st (49:xx) and 4th (50:xx) in the Dungarvan 10m on Sunday !!! TBH myself and Ecoli finishing in front of the entire BP squad and intimidating your "No.1" guy into crapping his pants and feigning some "hamstring injury" was a mere blip on the TAC radar- we've way bigger fish to fry!

It should also be noted we got Silver in the national Juniors 60m on top of Gold. Both boys beating the much heralded Marcus Lawler (who has already represented ireland at senior level I believe).

I'm calling him out on this. He's a bottler. The red and yellow put the fear of god into him. The difference in 5.40 and 5.5x wouldn't be significant enough to protect a hammy. It's not exactly explosive sprint speed. He was running scared, simple as.

And you're right I wouldn't help a club mate like that. I'd try to finish as high up the field as I could for the club team! That's how we roll ;)

In fairness I reckon he was doing closer to 5:3X pace. He's not on boards, to him ye tallaght boys are just another vest he passes regularly in races. Hes also on our committee, actually comes to training, organises internal races etc.
    Drquirky has a mega plan for DCM2014, hope you're ready to step up to the challenge TBB

As for mega plans, I dont have one, apart from staying injury-free. Ive not had a proper year of injury free running for a good while. If I manage that, the rest will look after itself.
    Thanks Tbb….

Good weekend for yis. Some blokes ye never train with put on the same vest as you and ran well in dungarvan :) Congrats. Ecoli was 9 seconds ahead of michelle over 5000m. I wouldnt go shouting about that :D. Ecoli is younger than michelle too.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It should also be noted we got Silver in the national Juniors 60m on top of Gold. Both boys beating the much heralded Marcus Lawler (who has already represented ireland at senior level I believe).

Haha im not taking your brothers-bashing meno. My smackdown is with a bloke, a talented US-college runner bloke. Your smackdown was with a young slip of a thing (albeit a fast one). Which you lost. You focus on getting that PB to 2:56 and recovering some manly pride :)

Enough of the Iona Institute style homophobic innuendo….

Today (am) 8 miles easy in pissing rain. 2 of the miles some woman tried to chick me (at 6:55 p/m or so) I was annoyed cause I was tipping along super slow but I really hate being passed so upped the pace a bit. Funny moment when 200 or so deer broke in front of our path on the Furze Rd and we both contemplated whether we should just cross their path- we opted to wait lol. Horrible horrible day out there and ended up w/ seriously bloody nipples for my trouble

(pm) 4 easy- grand run. Legs felt great…tempo tomorrow.

2x20mins HILLY tempo

My bad: met Ecoli down at the club and chatted about a good route for a tempo. He suggested his standard tempo loop which he said was decently flat- I pushed for Tymon (in retrospect, why??) Headed down on a 2mi w/u to Tymon and dropped straight into the workout… Ecoli took off a bit at the start which was good as it dragged me through a sluggish period, eventually felt better but the hills kept breaking me up a bit….mile splits were 5:42, 5:47, 5:53 (the really hilly mile) avg… 5:48 for 3.4 miles

3 or 4 min rest

Second 20 was ok for the first ten but then we hit the hills and we just ran to effort which was still tough. 5:52, 5:44, 6:03 (I know but trust me all climbs in this mile) for 3.4 miles in 5:56.

1.5 mile w/d

Overall tough workout but a character builder got in a good 7 miles of tempo effort - would never have got the whole thing done without the company- we kinda pushed each other through it, Gonna go easy for the next couple of days as this is shaping up as a high milage week for me (70 maybe?)

(I know but trust me all climbs in this mile)

yeah, Tymon park is famous for it's massive climbs :)

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, Tymon park is famous for it's massive climbs :)

hahahaha depends on which way you're going- very easy to have a pretty dodgy mile in there w/ a pretty crappy drag leading into the couple of decent hills there- not a place its particularly easy to hit splits.

This is one of those modern reworkings of children's stories, isn't it? Instead of the princess and the pea we have the track fairy and the speed bump :D

Today-

40mins recovery no watch and an extremely easy pace (needed).

1/2 1 hr easy (7:20p/m)

2/2 This started off as an 11/12 mile easy run but the day was beautiful and i felt good (last 2 days have been recovery) so decided to run progression for 10miles.

7:50
    7:20
    7:00
    6:55
    6:46
    6:32
    6:14
    6:02
    5:59
    5:55

then 2 miles recovery. All good not so sure where this run fits into my "plan" but tbh I enjoy this kind of thing so I don't really care! Reckon I'll hit a short snappy session on Tues or Weds and then (if no baby yet) will race that flat 10k in Rathcoffey.

• Advertisement

3/2 and 4/2….off. Life got in the way of running (nothing bad just busy)

5/2 Absolutely crap morning, thought I'd be racing on Saturday (not gonna happen, life again) so decided to hit a quick session to get the turnover going.

10x400 off 45secs

(used the interval setting on garmin for this-I'm starting to use that more and more and I really like because it keeps me from looking at the watch and I just run to effort cause I can't see the splits til after the run!
    80 (?)

Decent enough- was tricky enough w/ the conditions and I found myself repeating my favourite "**** you weather" mantra over and over again to get these done.

6/2 1 hr 5mins very easy- As I mentioned above have had to rule out the 10k I was gonna run this weekend which I'm a little bummed about as I think a decent time was on the cards- no worries though will keep grinding it out and good things will happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement