Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

speaking of life getting in the way, any updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

RayCun wrote: »
    speaking of life getting in the way, any updates?

Nope. Though she has the mobility of your average Bros Pearse runner right now :D:D:D

Seriously though thanks for asking Ray- all good I'd reckon its pretty close :D

Today 14.5 miles @ 7:20 p/m

Needed this one. Seeing as I'm carrying my phone w/ me on all my runs lately (for fairly obvious reasons) I've been listening to music on it (something I rarely do on runs as I usually enjoy the silence. Today I went on Spotify and threw together a playlist of about 35 songs and just hit shuffle and off I went for the run.

The weather was great and all was right in the world- my mind drifted a good bit and I started thinking about Garth Brooks and why it annoys me so much that he has sold out 5 nights and counting in an 80,000 seater stadium here, in a country that I've chosen to raise my kids in :mad:

Am I just a snobby, judgemental New England prick who hates the South and the culture wars they've brought my country? Probably but as my tunes skipped around from the Clash to Tribe Called Quest back to Guided by Voices and Nas, I realised something- music has historically been something that pushes barriers/ breaks down doors, gives the establishment a good kick in the ass when it needs it. From rag time to jazz to son to punk, reggae and hip hop good music is thoughtful and pushes your brain to think of different people, places and ideas. Garth Brooks is the exact opposite to everything I've described. He is the voice of being "careful now" -he is safe, he represents god and guns and the good old USA and traditional values- the Iona Institute homophobes love him. Needless to say I snapped out of it, my ears jarred by the sharp punk rock tones of a song called "i'm dating Louise Woodward" by the Showcase Showdown, I forgot about Garth and picked up the pace as a big **** you to his big fat stupid cowboy hat and everything it stands for.

What the hell does this have to do with running? Why is it in my log? Well, its my ****ing log so that answers question 2 and question 1 is easy- distance running, racing, hard training and the like sure as hell ain't easy, safe and careful. Every day we go out there and run, we are affirming that there is something different about us. Every time you feel the pain of a hard rep you are giving the metaphorical finger to our contemporary culture of 20min gym, skyrocketing obesity and a lazy, sheep like society. I know this sounds adversarial but sometimes on long runs, my mind wanders and it can be really good to connect with what motivates me….

So- to say **** you to Garth Brooks and all his ilk, I lace 'em up everyday. Thank you for listening to my rant…. normal service will return tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

^^^^
    brilliant post. One to bookmark for post of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Have you tried a bit of Chris Gaines? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

A rant which touched on religion, orientation and culture while still being philosophical on the why of training.

Take a bow son :D

drquirky wrote: »
    normal service will return tomorrow

I thought this was normal service :confused:
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Garth Brooks (ironically Eddie Murphy in this clip ;)) responds to DQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

That post was very entertaining. It also had 'last cocaine hurrah' written all over it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

ecoli wrote: »
    A rant which touched on religion, orientation and culture while still being philosophical on the why of training.

Take a bow son :D

More like a Billie Barry kid rehearsing....ive more punk and spunk between my toes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Ososlo wrote: »
    ^^^^
    brilliant post. One to bookmark for post of the year.

Missed this last week. DQ is the Johnny Cash of running...

cashfingerbw_slide-c29c8b17224e210e8991fb6eeb3e19fc5ca3ed47-s6-c30.jpg

More like a Billie Barry kid rehearsing....ive more punk and spunk between my toes

toe fetish eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

PaulieC wrote: »
    Missed this last week. DQ is the Johnny Cash of running...
    no beter compliment could you give a man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just seen your sensational rant! Funny stuff.

I'll be honest though. I've been to the USA 4 times, have visited 10 States, seen many cities, towns, countryside, even lived there for a brief while (Hawai'i) but the best place I have visited by a country mile (pardon the pun) was Nashville. Words can't describe the level of craic we had there. It's a seriously top notch place. Love the country music also, and without it we never would have seen Rock n' Roll, and then all the other versions of rock which spawned then from that.

My sincerest apologies! :D

Well well, its been a couple of weeks since I updated…have been ticking things over pretty decently.

Highlights:

2 LSRs of 90mins plus
    45-50miles per week
    1 Marlay Parkrun win 17:15
    1 St. Anne's park run win 16:58
    2 tempos (10k 36:02) 20 mins (5:44pace)

so holding fitness anyway. TBH am probably in better 10k shape than anything else right now. Very little speed but that should come as the weather warms up. One thing I'm really happy about is the way my fitness has improved since last year at this time. For example- I was running 16:50's in 5k May/June lat yr but my splits were going like 5:10 for the 1st mile and totally blowing up/ trying to hang on. Today I went (alone) 5:28, 5:31, 5:27 so no blowing up- think that is a good sign.

The plan going forward is to keep this pattern going, one LSR (getting longer) one tempo and some kind of blow out every week or two. Nothing fancy but if I can get to April in decent shape I'll hit a decent HM cycle, pace Limerick and hopefully PB mid May in Brooklyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just saw the rant now. ..great stuff! :D. Well done on the first finisher this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice work this morning, would love to see what you could do on that course if pushed! I'll see you in limerick if not before then.

Not running related but we had a beautiful baby girl this morning- tried to name her Genzebe Dibaba Quirky but got vetoed:(

In all seriousness over the moon and thanks for all the good wishes etc. I reckon she's probably already a better athlete than 99 percent of Sister's Pearse ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats again.
    The name you picked isn't too bad though :)

drquirky wrote: »
    Not running related but we had a beautiful baby girl this morning- tried to name her Genzebe Dibaba Quirky but got vetoed:(

In all seriousness over the moon and thanks for all the good wishes etc. I reckon she's probably already a better athlete than 99 percent of Sister's Pearse ;)

Congrats DrQ. I love that on this special day you still found time to squeeze in some Bros Pearse bashing :pac:

I'll let it slide just this once given the day thats in it. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats Dr Quirky. Super news. Sleep well!

You should name her Michelle.
    Michelle McGee Quirky.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Congrats Mr Quirky. You just couldn't resist having (another) go at the Bros Pearse guys. I reckon she'll grow up to be a super Camogie player...

Congrats DrQ. I love that on this special day you still found time to squeeze in some Bros Pearse bashing :pac:

I'll let it slide just this once given the day thats in it. Congrats again.

By the way before TBB gets dibs on your new additional. We want her for our female juvenile section. Wouldn't be surprised if TBB was planning on having her as the sister's 2nd scorer on their senior men's team ;)

TRR wrote: »
    By the way before TBB gets dibs on your new additional. We want her for our female juvenile section. Wouldn't be surprised if TBB was planning on having her as the sister's 2nd scorer on their senior men's team ;)

Hahaha I wouldnt be spouting about team scorers if I were you. While you beat us in the team comp on sunday we were down two planned starters, and our first 4 all finished well ahead of your 4th man.

And they all broke 90. And all our team were sober :)

Hahaha I wouldnt be spouting about team scorers if I were you. While you beat us in the team comp on sunday we were down two planned starters, and our first 4 all finished well ahead of your 4th man.

And they all broke 90. And all our team were sober :)

Hey feck off, you're embarrassing me now :mad:. You do realise Tunguska pulled out injured at half way?

If you are going to use the excuses line, well we would have been 2nd at worst but for that...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey feck off, you're embarrassing me now :mad:. You do realise Tunguska pulled out injured at half way?

If you are going to use the excuses line, well we would have been 2nd at worst but for that...

Ahh I know. that was mean but he did bring up scorers! And tallaghts 4th man had a shocker :) . yeah heard about tunguska and im not happy hes injured of course. Its a squad game meno... One of ours couldnt make it and another was ill. One likely to be around where I am, the other faster.

What the hell happened to you anyway? Your pb is 1:24 right? Our 4th man wasnt even aware there was a team comp. He just rocked up and ran a sub 90 pb. Were thst kind of club - perform our best on the day :)

• Advertisement

Ahh I know. that was mean but he did bring up scorers! And tallaghts 4th man had a shocker :) . yeah heard about tunguska and im not happy hes injured of course. Its a squad game meno... One of ours couldnt make it and another was ill. One likely to be around where I am, the other faster.

What the hell happened to you anyway? Your pb is 1:24 right? Our 4th man wasnt even aware there was a team comp. He just rocked up and ran a sub 90 pb. Were thst kind of club - perform our best on the day :)

TRR was trying to guilt me into racing it on Saturday night but thankfully we had another man show up on the day (the lad just behind Ecoli)so the pressure was off me. Tunguska puling out was obviously not part of the plan...

I was doing MP but had a total mare; fell off pace after 9 miles and jogged home. Was contemplating my future after the race but have had manflu ever since, just finally recovering today. Not nice to have manflu but almost a relief that was probably the cause of the explosion.

Yeah I was running beside your sub 90 guy for a lot of the race, he had a stormer...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement