Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

TRR wrote: »
    at least 10 minutes ahead of both these losers ;)

Right. You'll be going 2:29 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

drquirky wrote: »
    Right. You'll be going 2:29 then?

It's more likely than you girls going sub 2.40 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

It's more likely than you girls going sub 2.40 ;)

Hahaha :) I have this image of nassau st, im straining to beat quirky - the brothers pearse, as they did last year, turn out in large numbers to support clubmates in the final mile. We are both on massive PBs. The brothers cheer and cheer, even for quirky whose gladitatorial spirit they recognise, and there, at the finish line, with his drink and his jacket on already is TRR: 'ive done my cooldown already ladies! MUHAHAHAHAHA' :)

Hahaha :) I have this image of nassau st, im straining to beat quirky - the brothers pearse, as they did last year, turn out in large numbers to support clubmates in the final mile. We are both on massive PBs. The brothers cheer and cheer, even for quirky whose gladitatorial spirit they recognise, and there, at the finish line, with his drink and his jacket on already is TRR: 'ive done my cooldown already ladies! MUHAHAHAHAHA' :)

The more likely scenario is that due to my smart comments and mean spiritness both you and captain America pass me at 24 miles laughing and taunting me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

If makes you feel any better this won't happen - Route change this year due to works on the Luas line College Green and Nassau st won't be part of the course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ecoli wrote: »
    If makes you feel any better this won't happen - Route change this year due to works on the Luas line College Green and Nassau st won't be part of the course :D
    Really? That's a shame. Best part of the race...

Really? That's a shame. Best part of the race...

That's from the DCM fb and twitter pages, course change to be announced when approval finalised

Last week- 50 or so miles

Key runs: Saturday, 8 easy @ 6:56 p/m Sunday: 18 miles @ 7:20 pace w/ Ecoli and Dublin Runner- great stuff longest run in ages and nice to have company and be the friendly Yank Phoenix Park area tour guide!

a couple of recovery runs and a day off and then

Today 3mile w/u 8x800m off 75sec recovery 3mile c/d

Down to the track at Tallaght w/ Ecoli for this raining like crazy and a bit of a funny one as a crew was filming on the track and in the clubhouse (for the Sister's reading, a clubhouse is an indoor facility where runners meet and train, change, lift, get treated etc etc…)

Because of the filming we were having to swing wide of some lighting every lap by the 200m mark… plan was to hit 5k pace or so

8x 800, 2:40, 2:40, 2:36, 2:39, 2:41, 2:37 2:39, 2:35

Happy with the session as was off very short recovery….

Sleep hash't bee great tbh recently and I have a bit of a niggle in my arch on my left that I managed to raring on by ripping press ups- something to keep an eye on anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what were they filming, new series of Love/Hate?

RayCun wrote: »
    what were they filming, new series of Love/Hate?

You wish…don't actually know but made sure to flex my guns every time I ran by the crew and it certainly seemed like the female producer was impressed :eek:

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    You wish…don't actually know but made sure to flex my guns every time I ran by the crew and it certainly seemed like the female producer was impressed :eek:

I was wondering why you were dropped back on the bottom bend ;)

Last week: Key runs
    7 mile Progression 7:30p/m for 1st mile down to 5:40 for the last (Avg 6:14)

1x 17miles@7:20. Met up w/ Ecoli for this managed to squeeze in watching the elite mile, a few rain storms and a sighting of the wolf!! Fun times

5 mile Tempo @5:45 p/m 5:50, 5:39,5:46, 5:51, 5:42
    Splits all over the place as wind played a big role. Very happy w/ this though, only a couple of months ago I would have faded down to the 6 min mark w/ the wind.

11 mlr @ 7:25

Filled out the rest of the time running w/ unremarkable easy running (when able to squeeze it in.

K Club 10k on Saturday, looking forward to that as the races (K Club and the Brian Boru 10mile) are the key sessions/ indicators for my HM. Time is of the essence these days so the races are gonna have to be the key workouts. Reckon I'm in good 10k shape so just gonna go out sensibly and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Top tip for the K-Club - don't eat before the race. Or even the day before that.
    You'll want to leave space for the food afterwards

RayCun wrote: »
    Top tip for the K-Club - don't eat before the race. Or even the day before that.
    You'll want to leave space for the food afterwards

Tip number 2: bring some bread.

Last time I did it there were plenty of sausages but no bread so wasn't possible to make an auld sambo. Some hard core guys were using hot cross buns (with raisins and all) but I refrained. I heard a rumor there may have been bread last year though. Good luck, you have a fast time in you.

Tip number 2: bring some bread.

I'll grab a loaf so ;)

I'll grab a loaf so ;)

Are you racing?

Are you racing?

Last minute change of plans meant I have an open slot in the calendar. Would be rude not to :D

34:36 at a windy K Club today 10th position. Ecoli in 6th some good scalps for both of us. 2 top tens for Tallaght AC. Report to follow. Spread was epic and had proper rolls. All good omens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Q, top 10 finish in a well known 10k.

What happened did you not see the young lad slip by you :)

TbL

K Club 10k 11th (oops) Place 34:38

Met up w/ Ecoli for a good w/u and popped a few strides. Lined up a couple rows back which was in retrospect a bit stupid as the start is downhill and ended up nearly getting taken out a few times by people starting rather optimistically. Ecoli and I had chatted about working together during the w/u so spent the first mile working my way up to the group he was in which was the second grouping of runners. No idea on splits as my Garmin acted up but was w/ Ecoli for 5miles so I'll pretty much go w/ his splits.

First K was fine and then we headed straight into the wind for the next k and half or so. Was really happy tucking well into the back of the group. Not working super hard. Made a left turn and then the wind was at our backs and you could feel the pace hotting up a bit. Just stayed focused about hanging onto the group. As this course has a two lap loop in the middle, we made the inevitable turn into the wind again - tough going. Ecoli made a brave move to take the lead of the group and raise the pace a bit so I decided that I'd help (we're teammates and train a good bit together so wasn't gonna leave him hanging). We alternated making surges for the next mile or so- must be said here, no one else in the group made any attempt to help on the wind breaking duties (suppose thats racing though)

Thankfully made a left turn out of the wind and headed for home. Truth be told I could tell at this point that I'd overcooked some of the surges and I'd probably got my tactics a bit wrong. At this stage it just became a survival exercise- just tried to hang onto the group which I did until the last mile- not a ridiculous blow up or anything but they just slipped away from me.

400m to go and I was in 9th- got run down by 2 people in the final 200m :mad:
    Including one who never took any turn in the wind on either lap :mad: Oh well- thems the breaks.

Happy enough with the time as is a big masters PB for me- think there is a good bit more there- wind cut us some time and my tactics led to a blow up so lesson learned for sure and from what I'm told the finish line was moved back again from last year so when comparing my time with some from last yr I was even happier. Class running by ecoli. All in all a good day and great .HM workout.

Great great spread after. I'd do this race again for sure!

• Advertisement

I reckon if you hadn't gone with me when I made that moved the whole group would have swallowed me up later in the race. I think I probably got away with it a bit more due to the marathon training background the last few months but I reckon given shape you are in from training the if you do the likes of Dunshaughlin in the summer that 34 mark is definitely a realistic target

Great running drquirky. On a windy day too.

Youre a great advertisement for sleep deprivation!

Key runs this week

10 miles @ 6:40 p/m (Thurs)

K club 10k (see above) day total 11 miles

Today 20 miles @ 7:07 p /m - first 20 miler in a while but as I'm pacing Limerick, figured at least one would be essential before the day. Happy enough but wrecked now- started at 8m/m pace and ramped it up to 6:4x s . Think I should be ok for Limerick and don't think it's counter productive to get a couple good endurance runs in prep for the HM... 10 mile race on Monday is my next key workout.

Ran every day this past week but all easy stuff between 5 and 9 miles

Today 5km easy

1 hr functional strength session w/ Peter Matthews and Stass! Thanks a bunch to Stass for putting this together. I'm pretty hopeless at the strength and flexibility stuff and I don't trust myself enough to do a programme myself w/out supervision so am delighted to be doing a session of this every week. Still spots available as well and only 20 euros a time- think this should help my running for sure. Also instructor has a pretty damn impressive running CV lol.

5km after good to shake all of it out…

In Leitrim for the weekend and 10mile race on Monday.

Super stuff lately. You seem really focused but are being super sensible. Do you have a target time for the race on Monday? I might see if I can head out and shout some abuse cheer you and ecoli on!

If you see Simon on Monday make sure he knows he is running DCM this year. He had been talking of signing up for something else. As well as you handing TBB his ass on his plate I think it only right we also try to whoop the sisters in the team race ;)

As well as you handing TBB his ass on his plate I think it only right we also try to whoop the sisters in the team race ;)

Keep it up TRR. Keep piling the pressure on the poor man.

Good luck in the race DrQ.

Keep it up TRR. Keep piling the pressure on the poor man.

Good luck in the race DrQ.

Pressure????? There will be more pressure on him to score on the team then there will be from beating you lot ;)

Pressure????? There will be more pressure on him to score on the team then there will be from beating you lot ;)

And that is just the old fogie team, not even the senior :p

If everyone makes it to start line fit Sisters Pearse will finally see us in all our glory :P

And that is just the old fogie team, not even the senior :p

If Tom is running I'm doing a tunguska and defecting from the old fart ranks!

• Advertisement

If Tom is running I'm doing a tunguska and defecting from the old fart ranks!

You will need to make that team first, a number of us will be nipping at the heels so better make sure you post London break isn't extended too long ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement