Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

TRR wrote: »
    If Tom is running I'm doing a tunguska and defecting from the old fart ranks!

That'll be a great sales pitch to Simon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

drquirky wrote: »
    That'll be a great sales pitch to Simon ;)

Line that fecker up beside S Hehir, reckon only reason he didnt go sub 2.40 in Dublin was because he had misfortune of lining up beside someone who was aiming for 2.43 proper old school racing, none of this running for time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

ecoli wrote: »
    And that is just the old fogie team, not even the senior :p

If everyone makes it to start line fit Sisters Pearse will finally see us in all our glory :P
    Pressure????? There will be more pressure on him to score on the team then there will be from beating you lot ;)

Most of our marathon runners are doing berlin. Ray and I are prob the only ones who will be targeting sub 3 in dublin

I love the trash talk. You lads just keep that up ;) I love the marathon, anything can happen ....

Most of our top marathon runners are doing berlin. Ray and I are prob the only ones who will be targeting sub 3 in dublin

FYP

I didn't know Berlin had a mixed team event? :D

FYP

I didn't know Berlin had a mixed team event? :D

Haha to make our team youd have to break 3 hours. By some margin too. Leave the trash talk to TRR and pray he runs faster than last year for all your sakes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If everyone makes it to start line fit Sisters Pearse will finally see us in all our glory :P

OMG they're breaking out the mankinis :(
    Is it too late to get a Berlin entry?:eek:

RayCun wrote: »
    OMG they're breaking out the mankinis :(
    Is it too late to get a Berlin entry?:eek:

Why do you think you are seeing more strength and conditioning popping up in the (non ninja) training logs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Haha to make our team youd have to break 3 hours. By some margin too. Leave the trash talk to TRR and pray he runs faster than last year for all your sakes :)

Fecker, even on my worst day I'd be still ahead of your lot ;)

Super stuff lately. You seem really focused but are being super sensible. Do you have a target time for the race on Monday? I might see if I can head out and shout some abuse cheer you and ecoli on!

If you see Simon on Monday make sure he knows he is running DCM this year. He had been talking of signing up for something else. As well as you handing TBB his ass on his plate I think it only right we also try to whoop the sisters in the team race ;)

Thanks TRR- as far as a target goes- I've only ever run one 10miler so no idea really. Popped my recent 10k into the Mcmillan calc and got 57 low so guess that is a start…wouldn't mind having a pop at breaking 57 if its there on the day…

I'll have a chat w/ Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Are you purposely delaying the race report :)

• Advertisement

Are you purposely delaying the race report :)

Hahaha nope just crazy busy and have only had time to deliver pithy pot shots at Spurs and Sisters Pearse- I' ll get to it tomorrow AMK!

type it up quirky - my psychotherapist appointment is tomorrow. I dont want to have to wait a whole week to deal with this ;)

Brian Boru 10miles 58:19 11th overall 9th Leinster 2nd M35 (Hopefully 1st team awaiting results)

Ah 10 miles. My second attempt at the distance and once again learned a huge amount. Had the possibly unrealistic expectation in my head of being solidly low 57 and possibly having a crack at a high 56 time. PB = 59:02 from Frank Duffy last year.

Nice day, no clouds etc etc. Met Ecoli and Tunguska who had possibly the furthest away parking space anyone has had for a race, ever. Warmed up w/ the lads and hit the start line. Quick scan noticed two of Athenry's finest, SMmoore, 2 fabulous female boards celebrities and Digger w/ a camera taking naughty, sneaky pics of sunbathing women in the park (kidding, kidding).

Off went the hooter - figured I'd tag along w/ Ecoli and see how things went from there. Garmin was rendered essentially useless by the second mile (combination of crap signal and my Garmin being crap- must reset). Slotted in w/ a handy enough group w/ Ecoli and a couple of club lads we know. Pace felt ok, course was twisty and was kinda hard to get in a rhythm. We were through 5miles in 28:40 or so, still with the group but was very aware of the sun (more psychological for me than anything else), the wind and a fairly crappy hill next to Windmill hill that we had to negotiate twice.

Around 8 miles my head went. Spent 800m in possible DNF, crisis, anxiety, freaking out mode going through a full system check of every working part of my body. This has happened before and its essentially a mid race panic attack. TBH the only way to handle it is to go with it and let it pass. Dropped the pace down to really jogging for the next 400m and then almost like a switch came back on I managed to pull myself together- I started to wind things back up at the 9mile mark and was actually starting to pull back some time from Ecoli's group who I reckon had gained a minute or so on me during my freak out period. Felt strong enough on the home stretch and brought it in w/ a 45 sec or so PB.

Ok so what happened. Short answer- I don't really know. Its happened in races before and just seems to be one of those demons I need to fight if I wanna be a quicker racer. I know I'm giving Tbb and his therapist ammo here but the longer races do seem to bring this kind of thing on more in me.

Sort of happy with the run- not really with the time as I reckon I should be able for a bit better right now but glad I managed to lose the head and then get it back w/in a fairly short space of time- really really glad I didn't DNF- tbh the team aspect helped hugely in this regard as I couldn't let the lads down.

Tough enough course/ conditions but a great race. Delighted w/ an M35 Leinster medal and still waiting on the team results - great running by loads of boardsies- really nice to meet some new ones

I think this is a good stepping stone for that HM- its a super workout for it and hopefully sets me up for a good crack at it mid May. Time now to regroup, hit a 2 hr LSR this week, drop a decent w/out this weekend and pace Limerick, after that, one more good w/out and I'm there. TBH the best thing about my running lately is its has been consistent in results and my longer times are coming into line with the shorter stuff (has always been a problem for me). Just need to keep making steady progress!

Great running DrQ. 58 on a windy day (I heard the course was twisty too) with a jog in the middle - I might need a double session on the couch today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Excellent result, well done. I had one of those mid race crisis at mile 8 of Rotterdam (bloody awful!) The main is that you recovered very well and posted a good time. The result and experience will definitely stand to you.

The last week has been all over the place- hit a 13 two days after the 10miler, a good 10miler w/ TRR later that week, a 4x1mile just to blow the lungs out on Sunday (off 2:00min 5:18, 5:22, 5:24,5:20) and a couple of 30min recovery runs. My training has been a bit all over the place for this HM.

Example. Was meant to run a workout w/ TRR today but asked out of it as had a bit of a niggle in the quad on my run yesterday. Went out today and it was absolutely fine- with the marathon pacing this weekend I've precious little time for a quality session or two before we hit 2 weeks/10 days out when they would be meaningless. Hence 3x2miles off 2mins (5:50, 5:47) (5:47, 5:52) (5:47, 5:53) Was targeting 5:50- 5:47. Truth be told I've run some decent quality sessions but I've been really only running 40-50miles a week. I'm not sure I'm in the best shape but the last 6miles in Brooklyn are downhill so I'm living in hope that I have just enough for a decent run.

Wayyy too much beer drinking as of late ( coping w/ crazy toddlers/ babies) Pretty awful diet and not much sleep. Hardly the stuff of pb's. Enough of the sandbagging- looking forward to the buzz of pacing Limerick this weekend (and the night away lol- which could turn into two all going well and the perfect excuse that buses from Limerick to Leitrim take 5-6 hours) ) onwards and upwards

You better not snore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

You better not snore :D

You two growing your gay beards again? Make sure you pack some johnnies with your gels, sounds like a fun weekend ahead boyfriends :P

Past week:

1 strength session leading to multi day DOMS lol / 2 quality sessions one recovery run @ 8:00 m/m pace the day before Limerick- was slightly concerning as both myself and Ecoli struggled w 8 miles @ recovery pace lol

And...

Limerick Marathon (pacer) 26.2 miles in 3:14 (7:23 p/m)

Full report to follow but some classy running by multiple boardsies - well done all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

multi day DOMS :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Thanks a lot for co-driving the 3:15 bus last w/end, expertly done!

Limerick Marathon 3:14 (Pacer)

Had never paced a full before. Stayed the night in the salubriously located Maldron Hotel w/ boards celeb Ecoli (also hung out w/ Aimman) and slept reasonably ok despite the 5 stags occupying our palace. Won't lie- was pretty nervous for this as I don't really think of the marathon as a particular strength (having only run 2 previously) for me and the 10k after 20 always gives me the creeps.

Normal breakfast, headed down to the bag drop to get ready/ had photos taken in our great AK/ Brooks gear. Hit the startling around 8:30am and met a good few boardsies as well as my co-pacer Paul (luckily a marathon pacing vet). Chatted w/ Tbl, Snailsong, Marthastew, Opus- good stuff. Hooter went off and we eased out- first few miles ticked over ok, felt fine (still had some soreness in the legs from a pretty hard week!) Tbl looked strong and left us early- the rest of the group continued on.

At some point my fellow pacer, Paul took a pretty nasty fall over a bollard and I right away shifted into ninja pacer mode, ready to go it alone- thankfully Paul was ok and we continued on our merry way with a big group of 15-20. Passed the HM in 1:36:30 or so which was possibly a little quick but tbh in talking with some of the other pacers, the HM mark might have been a bit short (like every other course I've run this year ba dum ching) :D:D All going well- getting great shouts from the legendary Mr. Stew along the way.

At around 17 a good sized group w/ Marthastew/Snailsong/Opus and a few others started to push on a bit - this was good to see as I figured they'd be safer in numbers, the wind was not huge but was gusty at times for sure and I think it was a good day for working in groups. Strangely enough at this point we started to bleed people off the back as well. Paul and I tried to rally people as much as we could but I guess this is the money end of the race and some blow ups are inevitable. Survived a ropey mile at 18 or 19 w/ a bad stomach cramp (may or may not have been the result of 3 beers the night before...poor choice) and just kept it ticking over.

We kept 2 or 3 lads with us until 25 - we had told people we had a good minute in the bank so a couple lads made sensible decisions to drop the pace a bit on 25 and still dip in under 3:15. 25-26.2 was pretty crappy for me personally. Had only run one over 18 in the build up to this so the legs were;t feeling great (tbh I feel like 3 hrs might actually have been easier for me as the final 15mins were a good bit outside my comfort zone in terms of time on feet). I'll have to use this knowledge for my attempt on the course record at the Across the Years 12 day race next year :P At any rate, sucked it up and crossed the line in 3:14 flat not actually winded or wrecked but w/ pretty sore legs. Good fun and a good workout for me I think.

Great time toasting the success of the other boardsies at Locke Bar and a good experience overall. Only drawback is ran it w/ a bit of a head cold and it made it a bit worse for sure so still fighting off that and a cough but all going well should get out for a run today as am starting to feel a bit better.

Will say 26.2 is no joke no matter how you do it. I was a good 25 mins outside my pb and it still took something out of me- just worth noting as its a distance that always needs to be respected!

Took 2 full days off on Monday and Tuesday, legs felt fine just wanted to clear the cold/cough which had gotten pretty nasty after the marathon/drinking.

Weds 5miles easy (no watch)

Thurs Functional Strength class and 5miles easy.

Finding these strength classes great. It is so specific to running so doing tons of work strengthening the glutes and core etc- I reckon it will pay off some big dividends in the running. Still haven't fully shook the cough/ cold which is frustrating but neither have either of my daughters lol...

Maybe an easy 2x2 at HM pace or something similar this weekend essentially in a taper mode now so will be taking it handy for sure!

It is so specific to running so doing tons of work strengthening the flutes and core etc- I reckon it will pay off some big dividends in the running.

You have more than one flute? :D:D:D

You have more than one flute? :D:D:D

Nope only one- but I like to think of it as more of a tuba :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Nope only one- but I like to think of it as more of a tuba :D:D:D:D

Talk about someone blowing their own trumpet ;):)

Yestersay: off. Still dealing w/ this stupid cold/ sinus/ slight cough wa wa wa

Today. Good night sleep last night so: 2x 2miles at HM Target (5:47 p/m)

5:47, 5:47 90 secs rest 5:47, 5:47

It would appear that Sunday's pacing gig has had an impact on my running :D I pretty much never run perfect splits but truth be told I was in pretty good control for this workout so could just manipulate the effort to suit when I was in the wind/ going up rises etc. That pretty much does it for the HM training- easy taper stuff all week w/ a bit of turnover stuff mid week

There is live tracking so I'll post the link when I get it if anyone cares. TBH if I can shake this cold crap I think I'll run really well as I feel in good shape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Survived a ropey mile at 18 or 19 w/ a bad stomach cramp (may or may not have been the result of 3 beers the night before...poor choice)

Poor choice of beer or poor choice in choosing to drink beer?

Monday 30mjns easy

Today 5x800 off 60 secs going from HM pace to 5k pace

Consulted with a wiser man than me on this he suggested either 5x1000 or a pyramid type deal. I split the difference with progressive 800s.... Went fine just wanted to get some turnover in the legs

2:49
    2:43
    2:39
    2:37
    2:33

So finished strong which is always a good feeling. A bit worried I'm slightly undercooked going into this race but I guess we'll see on the day- only a couple 30 min runs left now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Have you got a target time for the race DrQ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement