Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

RayCun wrote: »
    DrQ, perhaps you should spend the day reflecting on your great run - and stay away from television sets and football streams...

Why????
    3-2 to the arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

drquirky wrote: »
    Why????
    3-2 to the arsenal

I feckin knew that 3-2 was coming. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

well done A. Arsenal not bottling it either. Some day for you.

1:17:27, 81st out of 25,000 finishers and 9th M35 :D

Ok. So just back from NYC after what was a very short visit for other stuff that I managed to sneak in a goal race during. Prep for this race has been a bit all over the place as we have a 2.5 month old at home who along with her sister creates a fair bit of havoc. Quality was good (some really solid sessions and LSR's) quantity has been terrible i.e. 40-50 mile weeks and really only an avg of 5 days a week running since the birth. That said I was pretty confident of a PB as the recent race form has been decent (which I think has everything to do w/ 2 yrs of consistent running and little to do w/ the current cycle)

Key results leading up: A 58:2x 10miles a 34:3x 10k and 2 weeks ago a paced 3:15 full marathon. My strategy has been to use these races as my most key workouts as time is a bit of the essence right now.

Good first 2 days in NYC had to negotiate a book release party on Thurs w/ 2 drinks max and a dinner on Fri before the race w/ one beer. Happy w/ my restraint here. Bit of jet lag but the race started early so that was probably in my favour. Woke at 4:30am for breakfast and coffee- set off for Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn (2miles from where I was staying) at 5:30am. Was completely astonished that a big race like this in the USA, at this moment in history is like arriving at airport! Metal detectors etc- wow...nation of fear.... got through all this and hit the baggage storage trucks w/ a good bit of time to spare.

Spent a good bit of time in my paddock before the race (I was in the top one) we had to be in place 20mins before the gun which kind of sucked but having port toilets in the paddocks helped ease the stress around that. Put myself somewhere in the top 200 or so and figured I'd ease into things. Hooter went off after a Johnstownbridge like bit of messing and we went straight into a downhill. I slowly ramped the pace up to 6:00min or so and as we started up an uphill, the 1st mile went by in 5:55. Good.

Mile 2 was a climb, which in hindsight I probably took too hard as effort level went up for a 5:46. Mile 3 was a rocket and went through in 5:36. Way too fast. Very happy with positioning at this point. It was cool- at this stage I completely forgot there were 40,000 people in the race and at my part of the field, it just seemed like a completely normal race- I was working from group to group w/ plenty of space. (not amazing depth of field as you can see)

Mile 4 5:50- very undulating, mile 5 5:56 (huge climb real drag) mile 6 5:49 mile 7 5:36- too fast! At this stage was feeling pretty good and felt well on for 1:16:xx. At this point we exited Prospect Park and headed down a long straight Ocean Parkway towards Coney Island. Literally 5 miles on a closed dual carriageway. Sun was shining and this stretch is completely unprotected- despite the early hour and the decent temps (15 degreed at start) I felt the sun big time here. Mile 8 was 5:46 Mile 9 was 5:50 Mile 10 was 5:49. Went through 10 in a PB of 58:09 so thought I had time in the bank and was all set. Miles 11- 13 would prove me wrong. Beyond shocking. The wheels came off in a horrible horrible way. Mentally felt terrible, physically, the body started to really fight me. Mile 11 was 5:55 Mile 12 was 6:09 and was perhaps the worst I've felt in a race: ever :eek::eek:. Literally had to pull out all the blood and guts I could just to hang on. Was getting chills, headaches, looked and felt like a punch drunk boxer in the 12th rd. Out on my feet. Mile 13 was 6:11. The final 1k was at 6:20 pace even though I felt as though I was running at end of 5k effort!!! Humbling stuff. Knew the sub 1:17 was gone and just consolidated all I could for the 1min PB. Got passed by at least 5-10 people in the last 800m lol- hilariously including some dude wearing the singlet of our college rivals (huge H on the back) couldn't believe one of those ****ers (found out later was XC alum) had passed me and I could do nothing about it. Collapsed in a heap across the finish line and drew the attention of the medical folks- after a couple q's they pretty much figured out I was just absolutely wasted physically. Took me a good 20-30mins to get back to normal.

Even with all that drama- not unhappy w/ the performance. Showed good toughness when things got bad. PB'd on pretty poor training and poor sleep so can't complain. I know that on the day I gave everything I had. As I mentioned- savage race, well organised, incredible T Shirt, water stations excellent, good support for the early hour and cool finish on the Coney island Boardwalk. Spent an hour after relaxing on a minor league baseball field w/ a beer and hot dog (this was the after party).

The cool thing about all of this is I have a good idea of where I'm at and how I could improve.
    1) I'm about 2-3 kg over my ideal racing weight. I was at least 3 lbs lighter for my marathon in Oct

2) Too much alcohol as of late. Wife and I dulling the constant activity/ crying at night w/ half a bottle of wine a few nights a week and I've had beers on weekends etc.

3) Sleep has been pretty poor

4) Training needs more milage- if I could sustain 70-80 mile weeks w/ doubles I'd come on a lot

5) Diet could be better

6) Could get stronger

I list these not as excuses but as opportunities. Mcmillan puts me at a 2:42 marathon after this HM. I've never been down that low on his predictor at any distance over 5k. Again my longer times are coming down really steadily so I'm hopeful I can put things together for DCM and run what I want to run.

I'm back in DUB now- super sore so gonna rest most of this week. In Portugal for a while from mid next week- so gonna take the next month really easy, not race and rest up for the beginning of the DCM cycle. I plan to enjoy my running and put no pressure on myself for the next 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds like a cracking run, despite the tough finish. Spot on, on the beers, weight, diet and sleep. All very fixable and more like a temporary handicap. If you could lose the kids for the next three months you'd be looking at 2:35. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Super report, I'd love to do a big race like that in New York

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thats a superb performance, sounds like a tough finish though.
    As Arsenal won, I hope the team you were supporting in the baseball lost.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Q, great report and well done hanging in when the **** hit the fan, course sounded rolling/challenging?

If you need to lose 2-3 kg for your ideal race weight, I might as well forget this diet ****e and get someone with an industrial bacon slicer to cut me in half!

Congrats on the PB.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Super time and a brave run DrQ. Im off to get very drunk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Brilliant result and nice report DrQ. Enjoy the rest and looking forward to seeing you coming back even stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Wicked awesome report. You're one tough SoB :D
    Wife and I dulling the constant activity/ crying at night w/ half a bottle of wine a few nights a week

Been there, done that. Every time I see someone's cute new baby I need to remind myself what it was like the first few months after our youngest was born.

Super time and a brave run DrQ. Im off to get very drunk now.

Hahaha if anything that report tipped you off to my biggest weaknesses! Actually thought abouth withholding some stuff so you couldn't use it against me at DCM!

Enjoyed the report A, it puts your ability into perspective when you finish in the top 100 out of 25,000 people, that's pretty special.

Not sure if your planning to come to class this week - PM is not around this week but the class is going ahead with another guy, hope it's not the man mountain :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great effort.

Love this race ! But the final stretch on the boardwalk is tough ...it's pretty badly maintained and it's hard to hammer it and stay upright ! You have to be really careful not to hammer it in Prospect Park ... once you leave the park it is downhill, and the road is well paved until you hit the boardwalk.

statss wrote: »
    Enjoyed the report A, it puts your ability into perspective when you finish in the top 100 out of 25,000 people, that's pretty special.

Not sure if your planning to come to class this week - PM is not around this week but the class is going ahead with another guy, hope it's not the man mountain :-/

Thanks Stass....Yeah I'll be there man- see you tomorrow!

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Great effort.

Love this race ! But the final stretch on the boardwalk is tough ...it's pretty badly maintained and it's hard to hammer it and stay upright ! You have to be really careful not to hammer it in Prospect Park ... once you leave the park it is downhill, and the road is well paved until you hit the boardwalk.

Thanks pgmcpq- sounds like a perfect description alright. I may have lost the head in PP w/ two quick miles there- don't know how much that took out of me later on- Ocean Pkwy felt like a much worse stretch than I was expecting...I know its mostly downhill but the exposure and the never-ending straight nature of it made it a bit of a slog for me. I was too out of it on the boardwalk to notice lol...

Great race though and one I'd do again....Biggest HM in the USA now w/ the numbers they got last Saturday...pretty cool

ahem [cough]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ahem [cough]

is that the cough of a nervous man?

you tallaght lads and your ninja crap.

Log up buddy - its part of the fun! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TRR wrote: »
    is that the cough of a nervous man?

He's wondering if the race is still on or if you guys have formed a drinking and pie-eating club :p

• Advertisement

Last month - maybe 15 of 30 days run, no watch- just for the fun of it. Last week 14 miler, 5mile tempo and 4x1mile reps 50 miles for week. Today 14 miles hoping to get 55 miles this week. All drinking cut from Jul 1st.

I'm rested, back training hard and am gonna kick your ass Tbb :)

PM was asking after you...few new faces in the class

RayCun wrote: »
    He's wondering if the race is still on or if you guys have formed a drinking and pie-eating club :p

We had, but that was just to level the playing field a little!

statss wrote: »
    PM was asking after you...few new faces in the class

Cool will be there Thurs. Hoping to do 2 days a week as I enter the mara cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

Last week:

Sun 6mile MP avg 6:02

Mon am 6 easy pm 5 easy

Tues 10 easy

Weds 6 recovery

Thurs 4 mile WU 6k race (liberties Run 5 th Male 20:27

Fri 6 recovery

Sat 1 mile w/u 8 steady avg 6:35 1c/d

Sun 16 @ 7:26 w Ecoli

Mon am 5 easy pm 5 recovery

Today 2mile w/u 5 mp (too hot too tired poor 6:08 avg ) 2 c/d

Anyone know how to change the title of my log?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anyone know how to change the title of my log?

you have to ask a mod to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Look who's back :cool:

Some good MP work there. How did it feel? Happy with the 6k race?

I like the new log title. Unfortunately you'll have to wait until November for the beer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Billy Mills

Look who's back :cool:

Some good MP work there. How did it feel? Happy with the 6k race?

Yeah DR the MP stuff is going ok- not sure 6 m/m feels quite MP yet lol... Happy enough w/ the 6k haven't raced or done speed work in 2 months - came through 5k in 16:5x and was consistent and in the lead pack(with two pretty quality guys) until 4-5k so its a good start anyways. As an aside can't say enough good things about that Liberties Run. Fun course, fun race!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I'm back and gonna document my path to an attempt on sub 2:40 @ DCM. Full disclosure- I wasn't coming back to boards as was getting sick of all the BS but I've gotten an awful lot out of this forum over the last few years and wasn't gonna let some silliness drive me off it.

My training is far from perfect. If anyone cares to see how much of a muppet I've been in the past (training wise) go read my first log "The Comeback Trail" lol its a good laugh and full of stupid/ avoidable/ pig headed mistakes. That said- I've gotten smarter w/ the help and advise of others. The current streak I'm on which I'm most proud if is I've never raced longer than 10k and not run a PB. This is a good sign IMO and hopefully I'll be able to keep it up as long as possible.

DCM '14 is a big goal for me. Not only do I have to beat a Sister (which should be fairly easy to be fair) but I believe I've set myself a pretty tough target. My recent 1:17 HM in May points to a 2:42 but tbh I have never performed up to McMillan's predictions on the longer stuff so I reckon I'll need a nice cushion going into DCM.

So far my training has been solid. I have a coach and I trust him 100percent. I've built steadily over the last 5 weeks or so to a few 70 plus mile weeks and two 80 mile weeks (my highest milage since college). I've raced twice (4th in the Liberties Run and 1st in a local race in Sligo) I have a bunch of MP runs (6:04) w/ two of them being 8 miles. I have a few decent long runs (up to 20miles) and am running two doubles a week. All of this is my biggest training load for a marathon ever.

So thats enough waffling. If you think I'm a muppet- tell me. If you think my training sucks let me know - I won't get offended but I also might just write you off as full of ****. I just want this to be an honest account of the journey(wherever it takes me)

So:

This week.

Sunday 20miles @ 7:07 w/ Dublin Runner. Tired and he toasted me the last couple miles if I'm honest.

Monday
    am 7 recovery(8 plus)

pm 5 easy (7:30)

Tues
    10 easy met CL on this run and ran a few miles w/ her- really helped it whizz by!

Weds
    10 inc 5x1k (3:28, 3:27, 3:25, 3:22, 3:17) Delighted as got stronger as the session went on. Just a loosener for the Frank Duffy on Sat. Wanna run well at this.

Anyways like I said - I've gotten so much out of boards I could't stay away...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement