Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with it, well within your capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Good to see you back (again) ;)

Rooting for you on the day and hopefully catch you for a pint - about one and a half hours later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck with it Q (you'll always be quirky to me :)) it'll be interesting to see your progress. Enjoy the Frank Duffy.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

BTW anyone seen the Sister w/ the big mouth recently? Pretty sure I heard he's racing FD as well? (all be it a bit slower than me!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

dukeraoul wrote: »
    I'm back and gonna document my path to an attempt on sub 2:40 @ DCM. Full disclosure- I wasn't coming back to boards as was getting sick of all the BS but I've gotten an awful lot out of this forum over the last few years and wasn't gonna let some silliness drive me off it.

My training is far from perfect. If anyone cares to see how much of a muppet I've been in the past (training wise) go read my first log "The Comeback Trail" lol its a good laugh and full of stupid/ avoidable/ pig headed mistakes. That said- I've gotten smarter w/ the help and advise of others. The current streak I'm on which I'm most proud if is I've never raced longer than 10k and not run a PB. This is a good sign IMO and hopefully I'll be able to keep it up as long as possible.

DCM '14 is a big goal for me. Not only do I have to beat a Sister (which should be fairly easy to be fair) but I believe I've set myself a pretty tough target. My recent 1:17 HM in May points to a 2:42 but tbh I have never performed up to McMillan's predictions on the longer stuff so I reckon I'll need a nice cushion going into DCM.

So far my training has been solid. I have a coach and I trust him 100percent. I've built steadily over the last 5 weeks or so to a few 70 plus mile weeks and two 80 mile weeks (my highest milage since college). I've raced twice (4th in the Liberties Run and 1st in a local race in Sligo) I have a bunch of MP runs (6:04) w/ two of them being 8 miles. I have a few decent long runs (up to 20miles) and am running two doubles a week. All of this is my biggest training load for a marathon ever.

So thats enough waffling. If you think I'm a muppet- tell me. If you think my training sucks let me know - I won't get offended but I also might just write you off as full of ****. I just want this to be an honest account of the journey(wherever it takes me)

So:

This week.

Sunday 20miles @ 7:07 w/ Dublin Runner. Tired and he toasted me the last couple miles if I'm honest.

Monday
    am 7 recovery(8 plus)

pm 5 easy (7:30)

Tues
    10 easy met CL on this run and ran a few miles w/ her- really helped it whizz by!

Weds
    10 inc 5x1k (3:28, 3:27, 3:25, 3:22, 3:17) Delighted as got stronger as the session went on. Just a loosener for the Frank Duffy on Sat. Wanna run well at this.

Anyways like I said - I've gotten so much out of boards I could't stay away...
    Good to see you back. What kind of recoveries did you do between the 5 * 1k?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good to see you back!

(The book on this account closing is now open, bets accepted at the usual outlets ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good to see you back Dr Q.
    Hopefully you will stick around here for a long time this time.
    My advice is to ignore the (ever growing) BS and provocations around here and avoid wasting your time on threads/logs that frustrate you.
    Hopefully you can keep boards as an enjoyable experience and of course lets keep up the sister pearse bashing :pac:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good to see you back Dr Q.
    Hopefully you will stick around here for a long time this time.
    My advice is to ignore the (ever growing) BS and provocations around here and avoid wasting your time on threads/logs that frustrate you.
    Hopefully you can keep boards as an enjoyable experience and of course lets keep up the sister pearse bashing :pac:

Sage advise. Will try and suppress as DR put it my "inner keyboard warrior" :)

paddybarry wrote: »
    Good to see you back. What kind of recoveries did you do between the 5 * 1k?
    Thanks.

75 secs... and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Muppet.

Welcome back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Welcome back - place was a lot duller without you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good to see you back. It's like the get along gang around here latey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nice one, solid training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Which race did you do in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's like the get along gang around here latey.

Massive flash back to childhood there...what a show!!

Wellcome back DrQ, you were missed.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Which race did you do in Sligo?

Hey Dna- It was the Ballysadare (sp?) 5k. First mile flat....2nd mile up a mountain 3rd mile down it lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Genuinely pleased to see you back. Great to see you training and running well. I know you won't believe this but I hope you break 2:40 - I think you'll do it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Congrats, you now have the same number of name changes as Cat Stevens.

You hissy-fit muppet :pac:

Good to see you back. Keep up the big talk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What's the deal with Claralara? Her 'masseur' fails to keep us updated these days!
    Is she doing Doha? Or training for another Marathon?
    Is she still getting faster?? Might we actually see her challenge for a Rio place??

Good to see you back as well A!
    To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the trolling/counter-trolling around Boards, but I do enjoy following the efforts of seriously talented and committed runners, so looking forward to seeing you get your target!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hey Dna- It was the Ballysadare (sp?) 5k. First mile flat....2nd mile up a mountain 3rd mile down it lol.

Ha, I was there.
    I did not know you of course but I did notice the interloper in Tallaght colours prancing around at the start.

I did not race, I was pacing my son in his first 5K.
    When I saw that none of the usual suspects was there I was tempted to go out and try to win but I stayed back. I might have given you a bit of a race.

By the way that was no mountain. I mentioned "the hill" to someone afterwards and she said "ah it wasn't really a hill, more of a long drag".

Anyway welcome back to boards and the banter that goes with it.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    What's the deal with Claralara? Her 'masseur' fails to keep us updated these days!
    Is she doing Doha? Or training for another Marathon?
    Is she still getting faster?? Might we actually see her challenge for a Rio place??

Good to see you back as well A!
    To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the trolling/counter-trolling around Boards, but I do enjoy following the efforts of seriously talented and committed runners, so looking forward to seeing you get your target!

Hahaha. CL in good form- perhaps she will advise us on her next moves as I saw her make an appearance in the Rant thread...rest assured as usual I think we can expect great things.

I like to consider my self a counter counter troll ;)

Thanks for the kind words :)

Congrats, you now have the same number of name changes as Cat Stevens.

You hissy-fit muppet :pac:

Good to see you back. Keep up the big talk. :)

Whats the target for FD Tbb?

dna_leri wrote: »
    Ha, I was there.
    I did not know you of course but I did notice the interloper in Tallaght colours prancing around at the start.

I did not race, I was pacing my son in his first 5K.
    When I saw that none of the usual suspects was there I was tempted to go out and try to win but I stayed back. I might have given you a bit of a race.

By the way that was no mountain. I mentioned "the hill" to someone afterwards and she said "ah it wasn't really a hill, more of a long drag".

Anyway welcome back to boards and the banter that goes with it.

You Sligo /Leitrim people are nutso w/ your "hills" In all seriousness I firmly believe the "undulating" read never flat terrain around this part of the country plays no small part in Sligo having a very disproportionate amount of high standard athletes for such a small area...thankfully none of them showed up in Ballysadare :) (except yourself but thankfully on pacing duties)

Today 10k easy around Tymon (7:25) w/ the coach. One more 10k easy before Saturday's race - hopefully the legs should be (reasonably) fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

In all seriousness I firmly believe the "undulating" read never flat terrain around this part of the country plays no small part in Sligo having a very disproportionate amount of high standard athletes for such a small area... (except yourself but thankfully on pacing duties)

That's actually quite an interesting point. I occasionally run the roads of Sligo and they always knock the stuffing out of me. I don't think I have ever seen a section of flat road! It's a different way of running over there :)

Enjoy Saturday, you'll nail it. I'll try to make it along to encourage ye all!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great stuff DrQ - I'll (re)follow with interest.

You're like another famous character around here trying to surpress his former pseudonym characteristics in training;) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

belcarra wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the trolling/counter-trolling around Boards!

Says mr. Real life troll himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Whats the target for FD Tbb?

sub 60 (PB: 1:00:37)

you?

sub 60 (PB: 1:00:37)

you?

PB = 58:29 and am in a bit better shape right now I think so 57:xx tbh (and I think you and I might have the same feeling on this) I target a PB in every race so if I run one I'm happy. Course is a good bit faster this year though I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement