Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Frank Duffy 10mile. 58:30

The good: the first 8 miles. (5:39, 5:43, 5:49,5:49,5:47,5:48,5:42,5:49)

The bad: miles 9 and 10 (6:11, 6:06)

The ugly: Having to stand next to 3 or 4 Sisters at the startline (thankfully was the last time I saw them in the race ;) )

Seriously- A very mixed day. Ran 59:10 here last year but was sure this course was a little easier (actually no- the drag sucked more than Military Hill and took out the sweet downhill at the end of the S Bends) . I was very happy with how I ran the first 8 miles- thought I was controlled, intelligent and strong. Unfortunately as has been the pattern in every single race I've finished up the Upper Glen Road to the Furze-I finished like ****.

The wheels just simply came off on the hill and there wasn't really much I could do. Kept trying to raise the pace but didn't have it. Looked back and saw Sister's Pearse #1 jogger a bit back on me and managed a respectable final 400 to hold him off but overall can't say I'm happy with the time. Gonna just write this one down to a good workout and keep training my ass off from there. 58:30 certainly doesn't predict a sub 2:30 but I've got nine weeks and I intend to throw the kitchen sink at them.

Good running by boardsies on a tough course- great to see Tbb, AMK Raycun et al....

oh and ....

DQ= 1
    All of Sister's Pearse (including Tbb) 0 :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

I think you’re being harsh on yourself. You’ve got to take into account where you were when you came back off holiday: overweight and out of shape. You’ve built up well and to run the first 8 so strongly is encouraging. As you enter the more specific stage of your marathon training you’ll find that you get a lot stronger. You have the speed. Now it’s about extending it. You have the time; you’ll do it. Chin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

we were all about the team results today ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    we were all about the team results today ;)

Tallaght AC 1st man Tom Fitzpatrick 50:30 (3rd overall)

2nd Me 58:30

3rd Paddy 59: 07

Care to do the sums on what our avg time is there Ray?

:):)

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Tallaght AC 1st man Tom Fitzpatrick 50:30 (3rd overall) Category:male senior

2nd Me 58:30 M35

3rd Paddy 59: 07 Male Senior

Care to do the sums on what our avg time is there Ray?

:):)

I don't think you understand how teams work :)

• Advertisement

I don't think you understand how teams work :)

Hahahaha if you wanna beat us on technicalities than so be it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A good time, well done. You are probably a bit disappointed but if by saying 'the wheels just simply came off' represents 6.11/6.06 mile splits uphill, at the end of a tough race, then I reckon you are being very hard on yourself.

I have no doubt you'll have better races but save that for the Bank Holiday Monday in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Good to see you back and logging. Looks to me like a solid run today up until the last two mile. Well done bud!

This week-

Ran the FD 10 on Saturday (report attached) 3 w/u 2 c/d

Sunday 6 Recovery 8:15 plus very very easy

Monday 6 recovery slow again

Tuesday 8 @ 7:15 feeling much better ran the stupid race w/ one of the mutant colds my daughters give me so snotty and sore throat but fine.

Weds. 14 @ 7:11 Standard run all good glad to get it in

Thurs 9 at 7:01 (I'm gonna get my ass kicked for being honest here) I actually ran 4 miles of it pretty steady i.e. 6:20 -6:10 pace. I totally pulled a Running King here but couldn't help myself. No session this week and my brain was silly and told me I was undertraing... (waiting on the deserved abusive text in 3...2...1 )

Friday 22 easy and hilly miles in beautiful North Leitrim. Ran a few miles of this following signs for the "Leitrim Way" won't make that mistake again- felt like climbing Alp d'Huez- 7:22 p/m for the run v. tired after and had a bit of trouble falling asleep (which can be a red flag w/ me)

Sat - Nothing. Stag.... nut ced.

Sunday- didn't follow my own advise and was a pussy. Was supposed to do a "hungover slog" but due to a plethora of excuses (none of them actually valid) I missed this run. Still- think training has been pretty solid and going into a decent enough week raring to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You would never see a GAA player bail on a match cause of a hang-over!! Pansy American attitude.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    You would never see a GAA player bail on a match cause of a hang-over!! Pansy American attitude.

Fair enough- I know I deserve the abuse here.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Read your log title again Q, maybe less of the former and more of the latter :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

tang1 wrote: »

Be honest, you stayed at home to watch the match! Very sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Fair enough- I know I deserve the abuse here.... :D

Nothing to be ashamed of for I too missed out on my lsr today due to 'the one' pint that I had after playing a match yesterday. One pint that lasted 7 hours!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Nothing to be ashamed of for I too missed out on my lsr today due to 'the one' pint that I had after playing a match yesterday. One pint that lasted 7 hours!!

Well my pacer superstar friend- if you read my log I actually got my LSR in !

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Be honest, you stayed at home to watch the match! Very sneaky.

That's right. Proper sport, the Arsenal match!

(Wish I hadn't actually)

Gavlor wrote: »

You missed a run? I'm shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You missed a run? I'm shocked!

It's a bad start alright, the first lsr of my 8 week training plan missed due to me being as sick as Rolf Harris' "personal" sketchings.

Monday am 8 miles 7:05 p/m floating

pm 5 easy no watch 13 total

Today 14.5 miles @ 6:46 p/m nice day for it and felt pretty good - another double tomorrow, session Thurs and nice big LSR on the weekend - pretty big week. Have also completely ditched alcohol and started cleaning up the diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

If you've ditched the drink then you better change your log title.
    And can you change your name back to something resembling DrQuirky.

Make it so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Have also completely ditched alcohol and started cleaning up the diet.

What is this Dusch doing to us??!! That said, I can't say 'completely ditched' on my end but big clean up chez diglara! November / December is gonna be carnage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

This big talkin yankee troll ducked out of our challenge after the FD10. He now wont race me over 26.2, but is running the day before dublin in frankfurt. something about getting a nosebleed at elevations of 100ft. Im sure the fact the gap between us was closing had nothing to do with it.

Cmon quirky. A sister is out and out calling you on this :) Your credibilty is on the line. Back up your big talk. Race me like you said you would or admit that your scared and full of it. .

This big talkin yankee troll ducked out of our challenge after the FD10. He now wont race me over 26.2, but is running the day before dublin in frankfurt. something about getting a nosebleed at elevations of 100ft. Im sure the fact the gap between us was closing had nothing to do with it.

Cmon quirky. A sister is out and out calling you on this :) Your credibilty is on the line. Back up your big talk. Race me like you said you would or admit that your scared and full of it. .

I'll back up my talk with the times I run.., have a look at the results from Athlone next week.,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I'll back up my talk with the times I run.., have a look at the results from Athlone next week.,,

Hahaha I cant believe im reading this.

Well, its pretty embarrasing. Have a rummage around, and if you find a pair, ill still race you in Dublin if you think youre fit enough.

Bros pearse abu!.

Swatting away the noisy Sisters Pearse flies...

Yesterday 13 total am 8miles recovery- could't do em any faster lol

pm 5miles easy (7:25 p/m) actually felt good on this one.

Today 10miles total including 3x2miles @ 5:45-5:50 pace... (5:47, 5:49) 5:45, 5:48) (5:53, 5:53) wrecked after this, just wrecked. Did this at the acres and sun war bearing down but milage has been high as well so pretty tired. Literally shuffled home pretty dehydrated and beaten up. Good to get this done though

Easy day (v easy tomorrow and LSR on Sat)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Swatting away the noisy Sisters Pearse flies...

Yesterday 13 total am 8miles recovery- could't do em any faster lol

pm 5miles easy (7:25 p/m) actually felt good on this one.

Today 10miles total including 3x2miles @ 5:45-5:50 pace... (5:47, 5:49) 5:45, 5:48) (5:53, 5:53) wrecked after this, just wrecked. Did this at the acres and sun war bearing down but milage has been high as well so pretty tired. Literally shuffled home pretty dehydrated and beaten up. Good to get this done though

Easy day (v easy tomorrow and LSR on Sat)
    what recoveries did you do between those reps?

paddybarry wrote: »
    what recoveries did you do between those reps?

2 mins....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Good stuff. What's the goal time for the HM? Low 1.16?

That session will really stand to you.

Good stuff. What's the goal time for the HM? Low 1.16?

That session will really stand to you.

Thanks man. I don't know on goal time- just want to run well- will probably head out around 5:45-5:50 and go from there..good luck Sat btw!

• Advertisement

Yesterday - 6 miles easy 7:39 p/m

Today 22.25 miles in 2:40 (7:10 p/m)
    Good run was thinking it could be bad as milage has been piling up, sleep has been poor etc. met Ecoli after the first 5 and did 11 @ 6:44 p/m w/ him. Left him @ 17 and took the last bit handy. Happy to get this run out of the way and will cap off an 85 mile week with a 6 mile recovery run tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement