Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

16:39 by my watch at the Bob Heffernan 5k tonight- great running by loads of boardsies.... will write a race report tomorrow- but great race/ great course

Had this race suggested to me by a club mate as a really quick 5k- he was right!

Start was an absolute ****show- I tried to work my way towards the front (ish) but everyone had the same idea- saw a mother guiding here 13 or 14 yr old up to the front (some people are unreal). I actually think this ended up helping me as I got a little pissed off and that was reflected in my first mile :eek:

Mile 1- Could feel that the pace was quick but looked down at the watch(I was too chicken not to wear it :eek:) for the 1k and saw 3:12/3:13 and wasn't super concerned. Such a solid field so was back a good bit even though I was on 5:10 pace- good feeling though as it kind of drags you along if you just go with it. Came through the 1st mile in 5:10 (kinda quick but tbh my style in 5k is to go out hard and hang on)

Looked down at the watch for the start of the 2nd mile and saw that I was registering 4:50 pace for the 1st tenth of a mile lol was flying at this point. Went through the 3000 in 9:47/ 9:48 or so and tbh this is where I started to feel it. Got passed by a clubmate and urged him on (super run by him btw). 2nd mile was 5:25.

3rd mile was a bit tough for the first half of it- was slowly dying and kinda lost focus for a bit I think. Pulled it together as we hit the downhill 800m into the finish though think I had a bit more here- just couldn't lift the pace as much as I was hoping. Hit the turn into the finish and saw the clock ticking on 16:30's, put in a bit of a push to get in under the 16:40 and stopped the watch at 16:39.

Very happy with the race- though I know where I can pick up time for sure. Such a solid field as I finished 29th overall w/ a time that would usually give a much higher placing - Donore and Celbridge both seemed to have really good teams there. Onwards and upwards from this- thinking of racing the Dunboyne 5mi next Tuesday but we'll see.

Was really great warming up/ cooling down w/ both boardsies I've met before and ones I haven't! Great running all around..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Thats savage pacing - cant believe 16:39 gets 29th position!

the race had an amazing set of results - I think the 1st 66 people or so were under 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

the race had an amazing set of results - I think the 1st 66 people or so were under 18.

Pretty crazy alright.

Great run drquirky, if only they could sort the start it would be perfect but as you say it actually probably helps you not to tear off too fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

drquirky wrote: »
    Such a solid field as I finished 29th overall w/ a time that would usually give a much higher placing

Great running quirky. We should hit Bohermeen in June. The field there is even deeper and I've heard great things about the course sub 16.30 would be a very realistic target, you'd practically be dragged around to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    Great running quirky. We should hit Bohermeen in June. The field there is even deeper and I've heard great things about the course sub 16.30 would be a very realistic target, you'd practically be dragged around to it!

St Cocas (Kilcock) on Friday 28th June would be another flyer. Another evening race too and just €12...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running, you cant beat a bit of anger at the start of a race!

You guys based in the big smoke have it too good with all these races on your doorstep

TRR wrote: »

Thanks TRR- it was on your rec I ran this one so cheers for that

Agreed- Bohermeen looks sweet and I know Eoghan was talking about it as well on another thread- we could have a really strong team- Paddy ran a sweet race last night- looks in really good shape!

Yup- sub 16:30 is where I wanna be then.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great running, you cant beat a bit of anger at the start of a race!

You guys based in the big smoke have it too good with all these races on your doorstep

Hehehe yeah the advantages of living in civilisation ;)

Where are you based Gavlor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hehehe yeah the advantages of living in civilisation ;)

Where are you based Gavlor?

Sunny south east- Waterford

• Advertisement

Today
    50mins recovery (7:44 m/m)

Needed it- could feel the race in the legs and decided to take a recovery run. felt tired but ok. Didn't sleep very well last night- this is one of the problems w/ evening races/ workouts for me- my adrenaline keeps pumping and I have trouble falling asleep! (lame)

core and push ups today as well

Last 2 days have been pretty solid from a training standpoint

Thurs. 14 miles @ 7:17 pace - My longest run in ages- just realized the other day that with the marathon looming in October- I need to start building my long runs up a bit...felt fine on this- tendon issues still there but loosen after a couple miles

Today: 1.5 mile w/u 5 miles tempo 29:13 (5:53, 5:47,5:51,5:48, 5:52)

Kickass little tempo inPP. Wanted to hold 5:45 or so but wind was blowing and on my tempo loop, its laps so am exposed to the wind for .5 of every mile or so... felt good but had to work into the wind.

Very happy with this week of training. In one of those spaces right now where everything is clicking and even when I don't want to run am getting out and running strong- good space to be in! Undecided on next race- thinking about Dunboyne 5mi on Tues but probably in Leitrim next weekend and there is a 10k in Mayo that weekend so might race that. Definitely doing the Bohermeen 5k in early June...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Bohermeen is an awesome race, great BBQ after it and everything. Looking forward to it, need a good 5k blowout! You're going great guns at the moment.

Saturday- 7 miles easy

Sunday 7 miles easy

Monday 4 miles easy w/ strides

Nothing at all to report with these runs- just keeping the training up....

Tuesday Dunboyne BHAA 5 miles

Headed down to Dunboyne for this one. Met TRR and ran a w/u and met Pronator as well. Felt ok but still a bit of lower leg pain that loosens when I run hard lol...

Lined up next to a clubmate on the start- we were gunning for broadly similar times so was good to have someone to run with for a while. Set out and hit the first mile in 5:25, the 2nd in 5:28, the third in 5:30, came through the 5k in 16:56- then I just kind of lost focus. This sucked. I got dropped by the clubmate(CWGatling who ran a class race yet again) and the group I was with at 3.5 miles and had a really hard/ crappy 800 m- I ran the 4th mile in a disappointing 5:51 but had a serious chat with myself and pulled it together to run the last mile in 5:40. I'm kinda pissed at this result as I know I could have run better. What can you do though- just have to focus better next time. Finished in 27:57 which is fine but I know I had 27:3x in the tank and left it out on the course. I'm in bits today, just wrecked. Had a massage this morning and don't think I'll run the rest of the day.

On a more positive note- outstanding running yet again by the Boards contingent (and Tallaght AC ;) TRR, Running King, ClaraLara, Digger and CW Gatling ran outstanding races... good craic in the cooldown as well. Thought I was gonna have to bail on it and ummm relieve myself in the woods so glad that didn't happen- thanks for distracting me CL and Digdig...

Didn't run yesterday as I was whacked. Slept ok last night and headed out early am for a delightful 7 mile run.... Possibly might get another run in this evening as weather is fantastic. Tomorrow planning on doing some Munich hill loops :eek: might keep 'em at tempo pace though as not sure I'll be fully recovered from the race.

Munichs are tough enough, haven't done them in a long while. Might work some into the schedule next week. Been neglecting hills.

Also thinking about how much damage you and TRR feel after a race, I felt ok on Wednesday, maybe I'm not pushing hard enough and staying 'comfortable'?

Also thinking about how much damage you and TRR feel after a race, I felt ok on Wednesday, maybe I'm not pushing hard enough and staying 'comfortable'?

Depends race to race. I suppose the course can have an impact, hills really batter my legs as I don't train on them very often. Training days in the lead up to race usually have to be taken into account as well. But generally I'm very sore for a few days post race. Actually, legs aren't too bad after Tuesday although I had "digestive" problems. Some of my friends can do back to back races (as in Saturday & Sunday) but I just can't do that anymore, well I could but I'd run $hite and probably get injured.

Munichs are tough enough, haven't done them in a long while. Might work some into the schedule next week. Been neglecting hills.

Yeah on that- Sometimes I think my tiredness after a race has a lot to do with my racing style. I tend to go out harder than I should and try and hang on. This might come from having hit quickish times in the past (a loooong time ago) so the pace seems normal to me (only I pay the price for not quite having the fitness. I guess the case in point would be that Dunboyne race. I went through the 5k in 16:56 or so and I only ran a 16:40 on the roads the week before....the last couple of miles were always gonna do damage there lol. But I certainly wouldn't wanna feel too "comfortable in a 5k or 5m race (5k shouldn't really feel comfortable at all imo...)

Today:

Change of plans- abandoned the Munich w/o and ran 15miles @ around 7:15-7:20 pace w/ TRR. Good run- my longest in a year and a half lol but its getting time to start building up to Budapest. Felt good and was great to have the company...

Whew- Been pretty busy the last week so haven't updated but training is going really well right now so pretty happy w/ that.

Saturday- 6 miles easy. Handy run

Sunday- Progression run in Slish Woods (Sligo) - Had to make an unexpected trip to the inlaws but squeezed in a really good progression run on the forest walk trail. Completely ridiculous climbs on this loop (listed on the map as "strenuous"lol) meant the paces were all over the place on the watch but the effort was spot on. 3 miles @ 7:15 pace/ 3 miles @6:40 pace (meant to be 6:17 marathon pace but climbs ended that) and 3 miles @ Half/10 mile pace (meant to be 5:50) 6:10 avg. Tough, tough workout but a great strength builder. One of those runs I finished knowing that I'll see the benefit in a race to come!

Monday- 7 miles easy

Tuesday Session w/ CWGatling. Headed down to the club. 2 mile w/u 4x 200, 2x400, 1x800, 2x400, 4x200 (200 active recovery) Great session. We stayed really strong and consistent in this hit 36/37 on the 200's, 76/77 on the 400's and 2:33 on the 800. We jogged the recoveries in 8 min pace so think that consistency represents a solid effort. The first 400 on the way back down the ladder was v. tough but was great having company for it. 2 mile cool down

Weds- 15 miles @ around 7:25 pace w/ TRR
    Ran this is warm conditions on pretty tired legs. Turned the ankle along the canal- (just after TRR's life threatening dog attack) bit of bruising there today but this happens to me every now and then especially when legs are tired. Was working v. hard in the heat at the end and found it a tough run. Taking today off and a nice easy 30 min jog on Friday before Bohermeen on Saturday night...16:2x is the target (though would love a crack at 16:1x) we'll see how the legs feel on the night

• Advertisement

Oops- haven't updated in a couple weeks- a quick summery

16:52 @ Bohermeen 5k- think I ran a good bit better than that though as was with some people I've been losing to the last few weeks. Groin giving bother- decided to take a few days off (and as it works out drink and eat crap food)

Only managed 3 runs this week of pretty lame duration- did tons of drinking (even though I wasn't even running the Beer Mile was done in solidarity w/ the competitors). Out for a late one on Friday night

Very hungover all Saturday(no run)

Always knew the Dublin Novice 5k was gonna be tough after the week I had. Leg feeling a lot better though (thanks Ecoli) so thats something. Went out in 5:19 or so- no real drive in the legs- just felt like I stayed in one gear throughout. Not strong over the last mile- finished in 16:57 which all things considering was ok. Have no idea how the Novice standings worked out so will have to check later. Lesson learned= drinking isn't good for running.

Gonna knock racing on the head for the next little while as I gear up for the National HM on August 5 and for Budapest Mara on Oct 13. No short stuff for me for a while anyways....

UPDATE:

Have knocked racing on the head- have been steadily building a marathon base-putting in 60 mile weeks and am on course for 70 this week. Took one 5 day stretch off to heal a few niggles- I've found that the Puma Fass 500's were causing a good few of these so have "retired" them and am back in the Kinvaras...

I've run a few of the club races as tempos and this has been really good as its great to run with a crowd. Feel as though my strength is building right now...

This week

Mon (meant to be 8) 10 miles @ 7:10 -pain in the ass as the gate at imma was closed and had to double back 1 1/2 miles to get back to my house

Tues am 5 miles 7:20 pace, pm 4 miles 7:30 pace- evening run was warm!

Weds 17 miles @7:20 pace - delighted I got this one done! Hit the PP and tried to stay in the shade as much as possible! Kept the water flowing into me and the pace pretty even. I was hurting a bit the last 15 mins but will put that down to the temps...

On course for 70 miles this week which I'd be really happy with!

UPDATE:

Weds 17 miles @7:20 pace - delighted I got this one done! Hit the PP and tried to stay in the shade as much as possible! Kept the water flowing into me and the pace pretty even.!

good to see you back posting!

How'd you keep the water flowing - you hide it around the park, carry a bottle or wear a belt? just interested as its something I'm not good at.

good to see you back posting!

How'd you keep the water flowing - you hide it around the park, carry a bottle or wear a belt? just interested as its something I'm not good at.

Hey RK- looks like you're going really well right now- reckon you'll run well at Clontarf if the weather is a bit cooler than it has been. I actually drop a bottle and just put it in the shade- also I use the taps at the polo grounds and in a pinch have hit the cafe @ the visitors centre, the snack hut by the zoo or the cafe in Farmleigh- I always carry a fiver on a run for exactly that purpose (water/ sugar/ etc) - I drink a ****load of water in this kind of weather (yesterday 4L plus lol) so gotta have lots of sources!

Today -

4.5 miles recovery. Seriously easy run as I've been putting in the miles this week. Felt a bit tired at the start but was fine by the end...Heavily into the TDF at the moment and I find anytime I tire- I just think of how much Chris Froome and Team Sly piss me off and that tends to give me a jolt (the natural kind of course unlike Froome/Porte/Wiggo et al)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I drink a ****load of water in this kind of weather (yesterday 4L plus lol) so gotta have lots of sources!

Haha, it's crazy alright, no joke I drank 5 ltrs of pure water yesterday and was still a bit dehydrated going to bed! :confused:

Friday- 10 miles easy @ 7:30 pace w/ Ecoli... good run on the trails at the PP

Saturday 7 miles easy @ 7:10 pace

Sunday- 8 miles @ 7:02 pace Made the mistake of running up in the PP at the exact time everyone was heading to a concert. Lots of drunken idiots about and tbh would avoid next time. Handy run but ended up picking up the pace for the last few miles just to get away from the masses.

Monday 8 miles "easy" @ 6:40 pace oops. Plan was for 7:10 or so but was chugging along for the first 3 or 4 miles at this pace and came up on a dude w/ headphones on- picked it up to 6:40 pace or so just to pass him but he decided he wanted to race lol. Wasn't ever in doubt as he was breathing pretty hard when I passed him and didn't look real fast- still fairplay to him as I ended up pushing the pace down to 5:40 for a mile in order to drop him :eek: ended up running the last few miles @ 6:40- 6:50 pace but that one 5:40 was silly...

Interesting to note though- this is my 4th week of 60 plus miles and when I did bring the pace up, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy shifting through the gears felt. Even at 5:40 I felt extremely relaxed and wasn't breathing particularly hard.

Tuesday 13 miles @ 7:40 pace- paid for the last couple of days faster running, started extremely slow for the first 6 miles but dropped the pace down to 7:20's for the last 7...

Weds. 5 miles recovery. Needed.

Thursday- 18 miles @ 7:16 pace.... This was one of those runs.... wanted to turn around multiple times, didn't actually feel bad just my head playing games with me. Kept telling myself that its runs like this that will get me a good marathon. Happy its done now- warm out. Headed to NYC tomorrow. Race on Sunday in Queens.

Thursday- 18 miles @ 7:16 pace.... This was one of those runs.... wanted to turn around multiple times, didn't actually feel bad just my head playing games with me. Kept telling myself that its runs like this that will get me a good marathon. Happy its done now- warm out. Headed to NYC tomorrow. Race on Sunday in Queens.

correct. Now make sure you come home the king of queens ;)

Fri- Day off- first day not running in a couple weeks but flew to NYC so wasn't happening.

Sat 5 miles easy- not a fan of bitching about the heat but was 32/33 w. ridiculous humidity in Brooklyn. Did a very slow 5 miles and felt the jetlag/ heat for sure.

Sunday- Not the king of queens lol! 10k Queens NYRR Race. 6800 runners- 28/29 degrees and humid at 8am. Nothing went right for me at all. Woke at 3:30am from jetlag- left my Sister's in Brooklyn at 6:15 was down at the course at Corona Park in plenty of time. W/U but didn;t have my usual breakfast- forgot bottled water so spent ages trying to find some- needless to say wasn't super happy.

After banal god bless America crap- gun went off and I positioned myself at a decent clip. First mile in 5:37. Bang on where I wanted to be and no hard breathing whatsoever. Second mile 5:39- again very happy and comfortable. Third mile started to feel the sun but still ran a 5:45 and figured I could hang on to that pace. Wheels started to come off from 5k on. The heat completely got to me- head started hurting, felt dizzy etc. Went through my options. I was sitting in 15-20th place at the time, so was hoping to hang that as it would be a good result in such a big race! First woman passed me right before mile 4 and I decided the writing was on the wall. Stopped the watch at 23:10 at 3.95 miles. Hate DNF's but I was seriously suffering in the heat and I knew how it was gonna go.

Lessons learned from this- respect the heat. I grew up w/ very hot summers but that means nothing now. Ireland had been lovely the last few weeks but I'd say most of my runs have been below 23 degrees or so. 28/29 rising and humid is a whole different kettle and I should have gone out much much slower (maybe 6 min miles or so) over heating sucks and tbh nothing can be done once it starts happening. So there it is a pretty poor day but got in a solid 4 mile workout and ended w/ 8 miles for the day- with the marathon the long term goal- definitely won't get stressed about this.

• Advertisement

Monday- 7 miles recovery- 5 outside (across the Brooklyn Bridge) and 2 more miles on a treadmill as again the heat started to get me.

Today- 12.5 miles @ 7:30 pace in Prospect Park. A bit slow but have really scaled back paces in the weather. 29 degrees and took on 2 l of water during the run. Felt quite strong though and happy I got it in. Very tough training right now but will just keep plugging away

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement