Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Yesterday- 5 miles recovery

Another day, another session. Mentally a pretty tough run.

18miles including 5 @6:05 p/m (miles 12-17)

Was dreading this. Knew 18 w/ 5 @ PMP on pretty tired legs was gonna be tough. Couple that w/ an unplanned visit to Crumlin Hospital til 1am last night(little princess is fine now) and I nearly bagged this run three times in the first 5miles. Soldiered on though w/ a mantra of "fight the demons" going through my head. First 11 went by @ 7:30 pace and then upped to my crest shunt lactic cruise speed (also known as PMP) the splits were (6:03, 6:07, 6:05, 6:03, 6:07). Holy **** I was dying on the last PMP mile. I'm pretty proud of it though as I dug in when I glanced down at my watch 400m in and realised I was on 6:25 pace! Worked my tail off to get that last mile done and shuffled home.

Thats 21 miles at PMP or faster over the last 5 days. I think we'll call this a really big week for me. I've been told it was gonna be quality over quantity in the next few weeks and I think we can call this some quality stuff. I guess we'll find out in Frankfurt.

Next two days recover then racing 5k in Ballymote at the road mile on sat.

16:39 today for 5th in Ballymoat . Paul Robinson first man under 4 for mile in Sligo in 3:53.. Happy out back at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Q, very solid return to racing.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Nice to meet you this evening and well done on your race, good run in heavy marathon training. It was a great event I thought and inspiring to see a sub 4 mile in reality. Good luck on the road to Frankfurt.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Nice to meet you this evening and well done on your race, good run in heavy marathon training. It was a great event I thought and inspiring to see a sub 4 mile in reality. Good luck on the road to Frankfurt.

Thanks UP nice to meet you as well and savage running by yourself. I must be a good luck charm for "first time under 4 min mile" attempts. I was at Coughlan's first man over 40 sub 4, I was also at first Div 3 college athlete under 4 and now was at first sub 4 in sligo! Maybe I'll hire myself out in the future for first sub 4 in Tahiti or similar ;) ?

I agree though it is always amazing to see lads go sub 4. Mile is such a classic distance.

• Advertisement

Ballymoate 5k 16:39

Wow- what a day. Headed down to Sligo as I was out in North Leitrim and dragged my OH along as she's a bit of a closet athletics fan. Was very excited to see Kipligat but in a slightly Killamaskullyesque twist he didn't show and no mention was ever made of why etc lol.

Anyways- the great and the good of Irish Athletics assembled for this one in the tiny village of Ballymoate. Rob Heffernan was giving a clinic as we arrived, Jerry Kiernan rocked up next to us, Pat Hooper, Marian Heffernan, Frank Greally, Feidhlim Kelly etc all made appearances. The main event was obviously the mile but there were a slew of different age group races leading up to it and I had entered the 5k so was pretty excited.

Did a warm up of the course which was an out and back. Best description is out was into the wind w/ more uphills while the back portion had the wind at your back and was more of a gentle coast in...suits me. Lined up and there was some really decent quality including UP , Feildham Kelly, a good lad from Dunshaughlin (who's name escapes me but was the eventual winner). Off we went and pace was quick but manageable and we formed a nice little group of 5 for the out portion of the course. I knew that I wasn't gonna be able to run the whole way w/ UP but I thought staying w/ FK was definitely an option (based on times etc).

UP and 2 other lads broke off around the 1 mile and I stuck on FK for pretty much the rest of the way. Knew in my head I wasn't gonna be able to take him in the final 800m (has a recent 1:55 800m in that press race at Euros) but figured I could get dragged through for a good time. True to form I was with him until 1k or 800m to go and then got dropped a bit but was still coming back on the guy who finished 3rd. Felt really really good in the final k and had a hell of a lot more left in the tank then I was expecting and put in a nice final 400 or so- got a nice shout from World Champion Rob Heffernan ;) . No splits as I wasn't keeping time- finished about 10secs behind FK and 15 behind the 3rd place lad. UP was a good 50secs up but I'd be happy enough being within a min of him as he is quality.

All in all a pretty good run on tired legs- happy as think this puts me where I need to be to run well in Frankfurt. No idea if sub 2:40 is possible but 16:39 for 5k after running 21 miles w/in the week at or faster than MP is very encouraging.

Hung around for the sub 4- class to see Robinson kick it in for the 3:53. Maybe slightly disappointed that Kipligat wasn't there but will absolutely not knock a fantastic event. Well done to DMD and everyone involved with organising this. Hopefully we see more grassroots community focused athletics "happenings like it"!

Today- 14 miles very easy... tired legs and all that but a beautiful day for run. Got it done- nice hard week leading up to the kilomara on sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good run A. Great to have fast company but still place!See you out in moone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jeez Dude, just how many names can you drop in one report............... :)

Great racing - I'd say it was fantastic taking part with (& competing with) those guys then watching the sub 4 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sounds like you expelled the memories of last week's DNF pretty quickly. Well done. Great running. Back on track :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dukeraoul wrote: »
    nice hard week leading up to the kilomara on sat.
    Good luck in ur first mini ultra:P

Yesterday- 7am v. easy 5pm 12 total....

Boom. Big session tonight and nailed it.

12 miles total (4x2miles @ "5:45-5:50") 3mins rec between each

11:39 (5:49/5:50)
    11:35 (5:45/ 5:50)
    11:36 (5:49/ 5:47)
    11:34 (5:48/ 5:46)

Down to the track for this as was reading an article that interviewed Shalane Flanagan about her training for Berlin- she talked a lot about working out on flat surfaces as your muscles can tire on the flats because constant pressure is being exerted on the exact same areas. Hills work a range of areas of the muscle... made some sense so figured I'd hit the track for a few of these sessions...

Tried desperately to get a willing victim to do this one with me but like the nerdy kid in school got rejected by everyone and ended up doing this on my own. Oh well. Very happy w/ it. Lots of people from the club out on the track so it made the whole thing go by (fairly) quickly. Wasn't as much of a sufferfest as I feared it would be and got it done. Happy with the way things are starting to come together for Frankfurt... Kilo marathon on Sat.

Yesterday- 7am v. easy 5pm 12 total....

Boom. Big session tonight and nailed it.

12 miles total (4x2miles @ "5:45-5:50") 3mins rec between each

11:39 (5:49/5:50)
    11:35 (5:45/ 5:50)
    11:36 (5:49/ 5:47)
    11:34 (5:48/ 5:46)

Down to the track for this as was reading an article that interviewed Shalane Flanagan about her training for Berlin- she talked a lot about working out on flat surfaces as your muscles can tire on the flats because constant pressure is being exerted on the exact same areas. Hills work a range of areas of the muscle... made some sense so figured I'd hit the track for a few of these sessions...

Tried desperately to get a willing victim to do this one with me but like the nerdy kid in school got rejected by everyone and ended up doing this on my own. Oh well. Very happy w/ it. Lots of people from the club out on the track so it made the whole thing go by (fairly) quickly. Wasn't as much of a sufferfest as I feared it would be and got it done. Happy with the way things are starting to come together for Frankfurt... Kilo marathon on Sat.

lovely session nicely done.

Yesterday- am- 7 felt really tired. Just worn out.

pm- 5 felt ok on this but calf started to cramp up on me at the end. Continued through most of the evening. Day total 12 miles

Woke up this morning and felt ok but played it extremely safe and bagged today's 10 miler. I haven't had a day off in a while and w/ a big MP pace w/o coming up on the weekend and a month to go til the race I saw no need whatsoever to push it. Abundance of caution on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Any idea of the cause of the cramp - just fatigue or some hydration/nutrition element?

Any idea of the cause of the cramp - just fatigue or some hydration/nutrition element?

If I had to guess I'd say hydration... and sometimes the track can put stress on tired muscles I find. I'm not worried about it though at all- just wanted to rest it a day and I'll do 5 or 6 easy tomorrow which usually sorts that kind of thing out for me...

Today- 10easy miles- Pan Y Agua.

Doing runs w/out coffee= bad idea. Luckily its a nice enough morning out there so did a nice easy lap around the PP. Was originally gonna be 5 or 6 but felt fine and know that its better to run the kilo marathon on tired legs so figured 10 miles would be fine...

Today- 10easy miles- Pan Y Agua.

Doing runs w/out coffee= bad idea. Luckily its a nice enough morning out there so did a nice easy lap around the PP. Was originally gonna be 5 or 6 but felt fine and know that its better to run the kilo marathon on tired legs so figured 10 miles would be fine...

Mmmm, tired legs, good to get the excuses in early in case DR starts filling up your rear view mirror :)

Weather looks good for Moone.

See ya tomorrow

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Mmmm, tired legs, good to get the excuses in early in case DR starts filling up your rear view mirror :)

Weather looks good for Moone.

See ya tomorrow

TbL

Ah here, 'tired legs' is my excuse! Get you own :)

Looking forward to tomorrows race...training run...preparatory race...long hard session...RUN!

See ye all tomorrow!

....as I head back to reading the Dublin Marathon thread.....:D

Ah here, 'tired legs' is my excuse! Get you own :)

Looking forward to tomorrows race...training run...preparatory race...long hard session...RUN!

See ye all tomorrow!

....as I head back to reading the Dublin Marathon thread.....:D

DR, I'd say Q has also injured his head from banging it off the keyboard :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Not amazing in Moone today but finished and pretty much kept the head...

26.2 km in 1:41:29 (6:13 p/m)

Tough course and once again felt pretty hot for this kind of silliness.some savage runs by boardsies and reckon this has me on for about a 2:42 on a good day/ rested/ quicker course

Full report to follow...

Sunday- 6miles recovery v. slow

Monday 10 miles @ 7:10 p/m - Am entering a tough phase of the training. My confidence right now is about as low as its ever been as a runner. I have knocked out a few decent workouts/ a decent 5k but both the Athlone HM (huge disaster) and the Moone KM (just kind of crap) were big disappointments.

Last year I came in to Budapest off of Pb after Pb and felt like I was in amazing shape. This year- I know I must be in better shape (more miles, tougher training quicker easy pace etc etc) but I just feel like nothing has gone right for me so far...

So with that in mind I headed out last night on my own little pity party and ran up the hill from the City Centre to Marlay Park and back down. Decent enough run and the sweeping downhill for the last few miles home was needed... That said I don;t really know what to think right now. I have 100percent trust in the programme I'm on so it isn't that- I guess I just have to have faith that it will come good. The taper will rest me up- the hard training I've done will take effect etc etc... Have kinda mentally scaled back the target to 2:42 but that said I think I'm capable of a really good run if the conditions play ball...

Sorry for the ranting and it really is just lame ass self pity but my head isn't in a great place right now and it helps to get it down. A couple of tough workouts this week should build up the confidence a bit and am delighted to be doing my last 20 on Friday...

Just gonna keep the head down and bash away at it. Have also switched on the "ignore" feature on some heads around here... too many ridiculous and completely trite distractions. I've said it before and I'll say it again folks- the proof in the pudding is always the results- the bull**** test that Ultraman posted a few weeks ago is perhaps the best description of some of the stupidity going on in A/R right now - hopefully most of you can see right through it.... its so easy to say I'm targeting this or I'm targeting that but you are what you are... and right now - I'm just a 2:50 marathoner who's hoping to nail a big new PB in Frankfurt :)

Monday 10 miles @ 7:10 p/m - Am entering a tough phase of the training. My confidence right now is about as low as its ever been as a runner. I have knocked out a few decent workouts/ a decent 5k but both the Athlone HM (huge disaster) and the Moone KM (just kind of crap) were big disappointments.

Last year I came in to Budapest off of Pb after Pb and felt like I was in amazing shape. This year- I know I must be in better shape (more miles, tougher training quicker easy pace etc etc) but I just feel like nothing has gone right for me so far...

So with that in mind I headed out last night on my own little pity party and ran up the hill from the City Centre to Marlay Park and back down. Decent enough run and the sweeping downhill for the last few miles home was needed... That said I don;t really know what to think right now. I have 100percent trust in the programme I'm on so it isn't that- I guess I just have to have faith that it will come good. The taper will rest me up- the hard training I've done will take effect etc etc... Have kinda mentally scaled back the target to 2:42 but that said I think I'm capable of a really good run if the conditions play ball...

Sorry for the ranting and it really is just lame ass self pity but my head isn't in a great place right now and it helps to get it down. A couple of tough workouts this week should build up the confidence a bit and am delighted to be doing my last 20 on Friday...

Just gonna keep the head down and bash away at it. Have also switched on the "ignore" feature on some heads around here... too many ridiculous and completely trite distractions. I've said it before and I'll say it again folks- the proof in the pudding is always the results- the bull**** test that Ultraman posted a few weeks ago is perhaps the best description of some of the stupidity going on in A/R right now - hopefully most of you can see right through it.... its so easy to say I'm targeting this or I'm targeting that but you are what you are... and right now - I'm just a 2:50 marathoner who's hoping to nail a big new PB in Frankfurt :)

Good man A, "my own little pity party", I had to laugh, I've had so many of them down through the years it's been incredible. I came through them though, not always on the right side but always tougher/stronger. Keep the head down and keep at it and it should click together, and so what if it doesn't, you've put in a great cycle that will stand to you when you move to the 2.30/35 target.

Keep up the good work

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

We all need a 'pity party' every once in a while, as TbL said, we all have dark times in running but come out the otherside in a better, more peaceful place. Well i do anyway, you nearly have all the hard work done, maybe trust yourself a bit more. Your right regarding 'other' stuff going on here, its hard to ignore at times. Keep her lit Dr.

What you choose to target is your own business but I believe genuinely that you can go sub 2:40. Marathons are all or nothing events, you cant run another one next week or next month and you may never have a chance again like you have now. Planning for the future and scheduals and incremental progress are grand but the best time to do something is always now. Dont read anything into those races that went badly, your body and mind are preparing themselves for the main event and conserving energy. Take the pressure off your workouts between now and the marathon, view them as what they are, training and dont use them as predictors of what time you can run on the day. Your at a tipping point now, if you keep up the mental pressure on yourself regarding times in workouts you may go over the edge. Just enjoy the training and if times are a little off dont worry. Anxiety is probably the biggest energy sapper and its why most people find the taper so tough as they have no outlet for their worry. You are where you want to be now, fit and healthy, well prepared 4 wees before a big event and its you who got yourself there. Just let the next few weeks and the race happen and the result will take care of itself. At the end of the day its only running and its just another race. Hope I dont sound preachy but I find getting my message across on a keyboard tough and the tone is often much different to a face to face chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You know in a marathon you always get those stages in the race when you think "Holy Crap I don't think I can do it" and then you focus on something else or you think about what motivates you to run. Your family, your ambitions, the good races, the good training sessions and then a few minutes later you're feeling great again. Same with the training. It's a constant roller coaster of the ups of good sessions combined with the odd low of a bad day or two. The important thing is to forget about the bad days. They're just money in the bank. You've run plenty of super races and sessions this training cycle. Remember those. The rest is just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You should have a read of Charlie Spedding's book and how he felt he under performed in races that weren't his A goal, but was consistently able to step up on the big occasion, a lot was down to how mentally prepared he was.
    He also would isolate himself from people and things that could cast negatives doubts into his mind before a big race.
    So go dark for a while, believe in the plan, believe in your ability and JFDI already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'll give you Speddings book in morning.

I am with majority of people at the moment, physically I think you have the sub 2.40. I wouldn't discount the affect that life stresses are having on your mood. I know personally I find that some times you can get times in heavy training when the body is recovering but the mind is not getting the break needed. I know may not be capable with life pressures at the moment but I would say carve out a bit of time to mentally switch of and recharge each day (20 min less of boards trolling or something here or there :D) some complete you time that is not training or thinking about running or any other thing.

It will probably come naturally with the taper but I think active mental recovery over the next few weeks could help plenty (even yoga style breathing techniques sometimes can help if you are open to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I believe you can do it! You're bang on the money to share it we are all in it with you bud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You're thinking about it too much.

Actually you may not even see this due to the ignore button but for the next week or two just relax, get on with your training and forget about 2.40 or 2.35 etc etc.

The only form that matters is after mile 20 in Frankfurt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement