Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    You're thinking about it too much.

Actually you may not even see this due to the ignore button but for the next week or two just relax, get on with your training and forget about 2.40 or 2.35 etc etc.

The only form that matters is after mile 20 in Frankfurt.

*Gavlor anxiously awaits to see if Dukeraoul replies to/thanks his post* ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    *Gavlor anxiously awaits to see if Dukeraoul replies to/thanks his post* ;)

Haha, my life won't be complete until I know that the Yankee b@st@rd hasnt excluded me from his wonder club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Hahaha thanks for the words all. Great wisdom/ insight on these boards at times! Some stuff to really take on board. Oh and Gavlor- sorry buddy you ain't on the list...its actually surprisingly short but targeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

dukeraoul wrote: »
    its actually surprisingly short but targeted.

Is it Meno? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Call me a sadist but I actually miss newbie runner and 123468854366. Hard to beat a bit of drama. That said, I hated to see DrQ, TRR and the likes closing their accounts, all the PC backslapping gets a bit old eventually. Must head back to the rant thread soon to take the pi$$ of somebody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Im going to post something that will be unpopular, and i'll probably get criticised for it. Before I do let me say that this is one of my favourite two logs on boards. Its brave and brutally honest. Like everyone else, I want you to do well, even though youre one of 'them'. ;) I was going to PM you, but thats a bit of a cop-out.

The responses above are all reasonable IMO, and they make really good points about positivity and not over thinking it etc.

However, boards is notorious for this. Its easy to be positive, tell you 'go for it man', 'we believe in you' etc. Its one of the weaknesses of this forum in my view - a collective desire to be positive and 'nice'. People mean well, but it means that the message is nearly always the same. Its fairly rare on here that anyone (unless they are a beginner) is ever advised that their target might be over ambitious. Yet boardsies crash in marathons all the time (i'm a veteran of two myself).

If you put any faith in calculators, then none of your races in the last 4 months indicate that 2:39:59 is possible. Obviously mental toughness and staying positive is very important, but its not like a 5K race, no amount of positivity in the race helps when you have run too fast and your sugar is gone. I think chasing 'round numbers' is the cause of a lot of bad marathons.

Your training has been immense, you are in great condition. I (and everyone else i'd bet) think that you are fitter than your races suggest. You'd need to talk to your coach about it, but personally, Id love to see you set an ambitious target pace that your races indicate is possible but which wont have you anxious beforehand, and then speed up steadily in the last 10K, finishing on a massive high with a huge PB. If i'm wrong that strategy may still allow you to get under the 2:40 - but on your own terms, not by hanging on.

Hope you dont see this as negative. I certainly don't.

Im going to post something that will be unpopular, and i'll probably get criticised for it. Before I do let me say that this is one of my favourite two logs on boards. Its brave and brutally honest. Like everyone else, I want you to do well, even though youre one of 'them'. ;) I was going to PM you, but thats a bit of a cop-out.

The responses above are all reasonable IMO, and they make really good points about positivity and not over thinking it etc.

However, boards is notorious for this. Its easy to be positive, tell you 'go for it man', 'we believe in you' etc. Its one of the weaknesses of this forum in my view - a collective desire to be positive and 'nice'. People mean well, but it means that the message is nearly always the same. Its fairly rare on here that anyone (unless they are a beginner) is ever advised that their target might be over ambitious. Yet boardsies crash in marathons all the time (i'm a veteran of two myself).

If you put any faith in calculators, then none of your races in the last 4 months indicate that 2:39:59 is possible. Obviously mental toughness and staying positive is very important, but its not like a 5K race, no amount of positivity in the race helps when you have run too fast and your sugar is gone. I think chasing 'round numbers' is the cause of a lot of bad marathons.

Your training has been immense, you are in great condition. I (and everyone else i'd bet) think that you are fitter than your races suggest. You'd need to talk to your coach about it, but personally, Id love to see you set an ambitious target pace that your races indicate is possible but which wont have you anxious beforehand, and then speed up steadily in the last 10K, finishing on a massive high with a huge PB. If i'm wrong that strategy may still allow you to get under the 2:40 - but on your own terms, not by hanging on.

Hope you dont see this as negative. I certainly don't.

Yup. Completely agree Tbb. Luckily I am ridiculously far from being a numbers guy. I just wan a run the best race I can on the day.... Its been a hell of a training block though and I have a decent feeling about Frankfurt even if races have not gone to plan at all- I'm gonna come up w/ a strategy w/ a pretty decent runner of a coach and we'll have a plan for the day that is realistic and achievable.

Thanks a bunch for the post though- its spot on.

With all that in mind...

Yesterday-10miles easy. Wife stuck in traffic for 2hrs after work 12 plus hours minding a baby and a toddler and I had no desire to run- got it done very late for me and slept awful...

Met Ecoli at the track today and warmed up- he was doing a different session. I was meant to do 5x 1mile off 2mins @ 5:30.... TBH I wasn;t even sure I could run a lap. Had told myself I'd bag the session if the first 200 was bad....lol it wasn't

5:31
    5:27
    5:29
    5:32
    5:27 (closing in 2:40 or so)

Hahahaha running is a funny old game. My body is in really good ****ing shape right now... if I can get my mind to come around I'm confident of a good run in less than a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Call me a sadist but I actually miss newbie runner and 123468854366. Hard to beat a bit of drama. That said, I hated to see DrQ, TRR and the likes closing their accounts, all the PC backslapping gets a bit old eventually. Must head back to the rant thread soon to take the pi$$ of somebody

Erm, are you referring to me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Your training has been immense, you are in great condition. I (and everyone else i'd bet) think that you are fitter than your races suggest.

nail on head, fitter than races suggest therefore calculators are obsolete.

#F-TIT!

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »

No, I don't think so, there used to be someone with a scatter of numbers in their username who was a serious troll.. At least I think there was.

nail on head, fitter than races suggest therefore calculators are obsolete.

#F-TIT!

Holy $£|¥, look whose back.

Holy $£|¥, look whose back.

Loving the new username :D

No, I don't think so, there used to be someone with a scatter of numbers in their username who was a serious troll.. At least I think there was.

Again, are you talking about me? :eek:

Chivito550 wrote: »

I though of this tbh
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87698208

hahahaha I'd totally forgotten about that- super funny thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

hahahaha I'd totally forgotten about that- super funny thread!

I don't even remember that winning thread of the year. What a crying shame. Thanks for the memories meno.

I don't even remember that winning thread of the year. What a crying shame. Thanks for the memories meno.

Shame about the party pooper at the end :mad:

We don't get good threads anymore where multiple posters drop the gloves and go at it.

Shame about the party pooper at the end :mad:

What a dick. Thank god his super mod powers are gone and we can properly slag him

• Advertisement

Cheers meno, was beginning to doubt my own sanity there for a bit, wouldn't be the first time

24 days to go. Big long run tomorrow so...

today- 6 miles very easy. nothing to report at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

24 days to go. Big long run tomorrow so...

today- 6 miles very easy. nothing to report at all.

what have you planed for tomorrow. have u many long runs left

what have you planed for tomorrow. have u many long runs left

20 w/ 6 @MP - hoping this is the last one over 18!!!

Today 20 miles in 2:18 including 6 (10-16)@ target 6:05

Actual: 6:01, 6:01, 6:00, 5:58, 6:02, 6:04

Ran the MP stuff with DR and have to say felt great- we chatted the whole time and were consciously pulling back the pace ...

Good times.

After the MP miles got to practice the ole in race #2 ;) and in other lovely news my left 2nd toenail is black and possibly gangrenous lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Today 20 miles in 2:18 including 6 (10-16)@ target 6:05

Actual: 6:01, 6:01, 6:00, 5:58, 6:02, 6:04

Ran the MP stuff with DR and have to say felt great- we chatted the whole time and were consciously pulling back the pace ...

Good times.

After the MP miles got to practice the ole in race #2 ;) and in other lovely news my left 2nd toenail is black and possibly gangrenous lol

Great session. The nail is also a good sign that you are not going too easy! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

646798.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

After the MP miles got to practice the ole in race #2 ;)

??

well done on that run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Again?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jaysus, just put this on repeat
    abe-simpson-gif.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement