Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Today 6 miles at recover- pissed off as the knackers who live below me decided to have a party last night and their rave music and general stupidity woke me at 4- then my daughter got me out of bed at 5:45 - still legs felt good and as usual felt better after the run than I did before (probably the thing I love most about running)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Well done quirky - some gems in that report :)

The mental stuff is a curse, seen a few blogs mention it this week. Reckon you need to train just as hard for the mental improvement as you do for the physical improvement.

Nailed on for 2:45 though......

Today 7.5 miles easy 7:22 pace p/m- Nice easy run body recovering well from the race. All good

Yesterday

am 4 miles @ recovery pace

pm 1.5 miles w/u 8 mile M/P 1.5 mile cool down

Squeezed this session in as am very busy w/ work this weekend. Headed down to the club and jumped in with the Tuesday tempo. I wanted to run 8 xMP @6:15-6:20. Pacing was kind of tough as I had one lad who indicated 6:15/6:20 would be cool shoot off at the start lol. Let him go a bit but a bit of space developed between himself and the next group w/ me stuck in no mans land. Eased into the group targeting 6:30's as they were on 6:17 pace for the first few miles 1-4 went 6:20, 6:17, 6:19, 6:22. The lads started to slow a bit and I backed off slightly with them as I didn't know the route! Next mile was 6:26 then 6:23. The lad who was out front had come to a stop at the end of 6 but I was doing 8 so asked him if he wanted to jump in the last couple of miles- no problem, he got going again and we hit 6:20, 6:24. Nice and slow cool down.

Felt good on this - stomach has been funny the last few days which sucks. Very very handy recovery running today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done on the great run Saturday quirky, looking solid now for marathon target.

• Advertisement

Thanks blockic- how you going? Haven't seen an update in a bit??

drquirky wrote: »
    Thanks blockic- how you going? Haven't seen an update in a bit??

Yeah, all good, was away there for a few days so only catching up now.

Yesterday 4 miles super slow recovery

Today 20.03 miles in 2:31. Just in the door and felt the need to document what I now believe is my worst run ever. Plan was for 24- but I bargained myself down to 22 after 2 miles. Stomach was in bits from the jump. Tired and cranky throughout. Bonked a bit at 13 and put down a gel (which I usually don't take/ need) picked me up for a bit- pace wash't terrible, I was holding it together but just felt awful. Decided to cut losses and can it at 20 as I was really beat up. I literally gave everything I had today and that kind of worries me as the pace wasn't crazy at all.

I guess maybe just a build up of racing 10 miles Saturday, a 15 mile day w/ a MP workout Tuesday etc etc left me fatigued. Tried to front load the week a bit too much due to work commitments? At any rate very frustrating but guess its just all part of the journey. At the end of the day another 20 miles in the bag and I'd imagine it'll stand to me at some stage.

Today 20.03 miles in 2:31. Just in the door and felt the need to document what I now believe is my worst run ever. Plan was for 24- but I bargained myself down to 22 after 2 miles. Stomach was in bits from the jump. Tired and cranky throughout. Bonked a bit at 13 and put down a gel (which I usually don't take/ need) picked me up for a bit- pace wash't terrible, I was holding it together but just felt awful. Decided to cut losses and can it at 20 as I was really beat up. I literally gave everything I had today and that kind of worries me as the pace wasn't crazy at all.

I guess maybe just a build up of racing 10 miles Saturday, a 15 mile day w/ a MP workout Tuesday etc etc left me fatigued. Tried to front load the week a bit too much due to work commitments? At any rate very frustrating but guess its just all part of the journey. At the end of the day another 20 miles in the bag and I'd imagine it'll stand to me at some stage.

Always one of those days in any schedule, I wouldn't worry about it, you have had a serious last 7 days of running which can take it's toll.

I reckon work your week around the LSR next week and nail it. This one will be soon forgotten that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Every marathon training programme must contain at least one godawful run that leaves you thinking you haven't a hope of completing the thing, let alone running it. I think it's a law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I guess maybe just a build up of racing 10 miles Saturday, a 15 mile day w/ a MP workout Tuesday etc etc left me fatigued.
    I'm just surprised that you're surprised that it was going to be a gawdawful long run. Whoever puts your schedules together should be shot (or at least scolded, with some firm finger wagging).

I'm just surprised that you're surprised that it was going to be a gawdawful long run. Whoever puts your schedules together should be shot (or at least scolded, with some firm finger wagging).

Hahahaha in fairness its my fault- I misread an email and thought i was meant to do a double on Tuesday- also I had some pretty heavy restrictions on long weekend runs therefore- the sufferfest that was this morning was entirely self inflicted.

TBH KC I actually feel bad moaning about my suffering on a 20 mile lsr in the Park having read your alpine marathon sodomy entry.

RayCun wrote: »
    Every marathon training programme must contain at least one godawful run that leaves you thinking you haven't a hope of completing the thing, let alone running it. I think it's a law.

Thanks lads- good to hear I'm not alone on this one lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TBH KC I actually feel bad moaning about my suffering on a 20 mile lsr in the Park having read your alpine marathon sodomy entry.
    Less talk of sodomy, or I wont be allowed out in lycra any more. I just read the thread about the UTMB this weekend (166km distance and 9600 metre of climbing) and feel guilty about being a moany-hole about the Alpine marathon. :o

If you have to juggle your schedule like that for work or family commitments, you have to appreciate that something's got to give. You can't pack too much quality into a short period of time, or else you end up injured, over-trained, or messing up your sessions. IMHO, it's better to plan to run 20 miles and tag on a few extra miles afterwards if you feel up to it, than it is to plan to do 24, and have to cut it short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

sodomy entry.

...I'm sure Digger must be out of the country as he'd surely have a comment for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

If you have to juggle your schedule like that for work or family commitments, you have to appreciate that something's got to give.

ha literally just wrote something along these lines on your log.

Don't see the problem with your LSR. You are supposed to be fcuked this week and next week, next week will be worse. You don't have a history of doing LSRs of 20 miles plus for your previous marathons so will take time to adjust.

Been a while-

Friday -OFF

Saturday 7 mlles easy 7:30 m/m

Sunday 10 miles easy 7:05 m/m

Monday 8miles easy 7:33 m/m

Tuesday 14 miles @ 7:17 m/m Met up w/ Ecoli and TRR for this- great to have some company. Did a loop outside of the park and we were kinda falling all around lol on pavement cracks etc... Good run though picked the pace up towards the end and dropped a few 6:50's which felt good.

Weds. 6.3 miles recovery 8:20 m/m Love the really slow recovery runs. Beautiful day for it and was nice to just bask in the sunshine.

Thurs: Session

2 w/u 3xPMP 1 easy 3xPMP 1 easy 2x HMP

Am completely shocked I got this done as everything seemed to conspire against me. Had a shockingly horrible nights sleep- did a clean up job that the OH had been asking me to do but involved a good amount of dust. I'm pretty allergic to dust :D Felt grand while I was doing the job but woke up @ 1:30am w/ a splitting sinus headache and muscle pain chills etc... Kept me awake all night.

Completely considered bagging this as I could barely get out of bed in the morning and had already prepared my excuses. Am reading a book right now about Bill Rodgers/ Frank Shorter and Alberto Salazar. Just finished the write up of a Falmouth Road Race from the 70's where Salazar nearly died. He collapsed just before the finish line and his body temp went up to 108 F :D Needless to say I wasn't gonna pussy out of the session after reading that!

Hit the acres in the PP First 3 PMP went 6:23, 6:10, 6:05 (target 6:15) Felt ****ty but so what? Took the mile recovery very handy then went 6:17, 6:21, 6:09. Good stuff, averaged 6:15! Happy with the pacing but sore and not excited for the 2 HMP miles again nice and slow jog for a mile and then 5:53, 5:58 (target 5:50 or so) don't care that I didn't hit 5:50. Got the sucker done and thats that. Not gonna say I really enjoyed it but are you really supposed to enjoy a session like that? Gonna reward my self with pizza and cake tonight.

Friday 4 miles recovery
    Calf really really tight- tendinitis crap that I tend to get flaring up.

Sat, Sun Off. Have a crappy fever/ sinus headache and resting the leg. Not happy but hoping the time off chills it out

Bummer on the illness.
    Regarding the calf injury, must be the 'in' thing. all the cool people have a dodgy calf.

I'm back

Today 5 miles easy
    Bit the bullet and took the full 3 days off- delighted I did though because my fever abated, my niggles healed and I felt great this morning very early. Psyched that the leg feels fine as I won't lie it was starting to worry me. All go for a fully rested and tapered HM on Saturday and then a couple more hard weeks into Budapest!

• Advertisement

Weds- 10miles @ 7:02 Met up w/ TRR and Ecoli for this. Nice run legs felt really fresh. Got a rub from Ecoli after which was insanely painful but very beneficial.

Today 6 miles w/ 3x800 @ HM pace Hit AK in Astown before this and picked myself up some compression. Ran the run w/ compression on the calf that has been giving me trouble and it seemed to be good. Held things together nicely anyway. 800 splits/ 2:54, 2:53, 2:50. Last one maybe a bit fast for HM pace but these essentially functioned as extended strides.

Fri- 5 miles very easy

Saturday Athlone HM 1:18:24

Was pretty psyched for this race as due to a bit of enforced rest over the last week, the body is pretty well rested right now. Bit of a drive down to Athlone but passed the time w/a coffee and some music- was in really good form. Met up w/ a few boardsies in hall and completely avoided the dude w/ the microphone/ camera good to see Blocky and mediawhore CL taking one for the team on that one!

2 mile w/u w/ Meno saw a couple of clubmates and chatted a bit then lined up at the start. We went off and I loosely though of staying w/ one of my teammates and KC for the first few miles but I abandoned that notion pretty quickly as they are both a bit quicker than me at this stage. First 3 miles 5:57, 5:48, 5:55 happy with that was feeling very relaxed and comfortable. Not a huge fan of running on narrow country cowpaths but it did make the race feel a bit more "full" than they sometimes do for me. This meant I had no problem finding groups and not getting stuck in "no man's land" as I sometimes do.

Next 3 miles 5:50, 5:42 :eek: and 5:55. I got a bit carried away passing a group that had Annette Kealy in it and that 5:42 I think might have hurt me a bit tbh. Miles 7-10 I found pretty tough. It just felt never ending. 5:57, 6:00, 6:07 shows a gradual fade. We hit the main road and me and another lad started to work together. This helped and we picked the pace up a bit. 10-12 were 5:59, 5:58, 6:00. Actually really happy about this as it shows some strength. I came off that 6:07 well rather than let myself drop back. Had not much left for mile 13 6:07 and crossed the line in 78:24. Thats a PB by a minute and happy with that but a little pissed I didn't have a bit more.

Really enjoyed the race though and thought the course, while not really "flatline" was a really good, fair judge of fitness. Spent a bit of time gabbing w/ some boardsies and others after the race and did a mile cool down. Got back in time to see RachelJev crossing the line in a really gutsy performance, chatted some more then headed for home.

I think this race keeps me on target for a good run in Budapest. Hopefully nail two really solid weeks of training and hit a taper.

Today -10k easy recover @ 8 m/m pace. Legs actually felt really good (not expected). Came home and watched Bekele beat Mo Farah in the GNR and was delighted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice work on the PB, all the best with the next two weeks of training and the following taper!

Yesterday 5 miles recovery

Today- 10 miles @ 7:20 pace.... Easy run today as still recovering from the HM on the weekend. Perhaps its karma for acting the bollix on the weather thread but the conditions this morning were shocking. Cold rain and generally crap. Run was great though felt good recovering much better from this HM than the National HM- couple good runs in the schedule this week- a 22-24 lsr and a MP fiesta. Not long now, less than a month till Budapest...Oct 13 here I come!

Yesterday- 6 miles very easy

Today 23 miles in 2:51 A bit of long run redemption here. I started out insanely slow on this one (9:00 mile for the first mile) and just kind of gradually wound it up as the run went on. Closing 4-5 miles avg'd 6:45 - had a hug neg split in that I ran the first 10 miles in 79 and the next 10 in 70 flat lol. Think this was a really god run. Finished pretty strong and though I'm wrecked now am psyched to get this one over with.

Met up w/ Ecoli for some of the miles and it was great to have some company! TBH nearly crucial for me to have someone to run w/ for at least part of these long runs as they aren't psychologically very easy for me! :D

Yesterday- 4 miles recovery

Today 12 (inc 8 @ MP) splits 6:20, 6:10, 6:08, 6:17, 6:20, 6:17, 6:17, 6:08

Good workout. Possibly slightly hungover for this. Ran this on the playing fields at the Acres. Glad to get more MP miles under my belt.

Very good week for me. HM PB, 23 mile run and a decent MP workout. My legs are really feeling it right now but I reckon I'm gonna hit the taper at the exact right time. 3 weeks tomorrow until Budapest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hell of a week man nice way to top off what has been a solid block of training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

MP splits a little quick but better discipline than two other tools I could mention ;) Super weeks training.

• Advertisement

Don't get me started.............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement