Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

TRR wrote: »
    Super weeks training.

Teachers pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    MP splits a little quick but better discipline than two other tools I could mention ;) Super weeks training.

Yeah you are right. Digger was out of his depths pacing the 1:50 half this morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Teachers pet.

Haters gonna hate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    Yesterday- 4 miles recovery

Today 12 (inc 8 @ MP) splits 6:20, 6:10, 6:08, 6:17, 6:20, 6:17, 6:17, 6:08

Good workout. Possibly slightly hungover for this. Ran this on the playing fields at the Acres. Glad to get more MP miles under my belt.

Very good week for me. HM PB, 23 mile run and a decent MP workout. My legs are really feeling it right now but I reckon I'm gonna hit the taper at the exact right time. 3 weeks tomorrow until Budapest!

Super week DrQ...my legs in a serious jock now too...but looking forward to taper now...rooster is ready to roost...just need to tell him it's morning

blockic wrote: »
    Super week DrQ...my legs in a serious jock now too...but looking forward to taper now...rooster is ready to roost...just need to tell him it's morning

Hope pacing went well? Was actually thinking of popping down to have a pop w/ you guys at Ryans (I live real close) but the day kinda got away from me...

• Advertisement

Hope pacing went well? Was actually thinking of popping down to have a pop w/ you guys at Ryans (I live real close) but the day kinda got away from me...

Yep all good, quite humid out there, done an additional 6 with Kiely after so a good workout, but the body telling me that this is it now, ease off from here.

Pity, we were there most the afternoon, left at 6ish and feeling the effects now! :D

Sunday 8 easy

Monday off- just babying my sore tendons a bit

Today

11miles including 3x2mi at HM pace w/ 3 mins between reps. (5:55, 5:54); (5:56, 5:53); (5:53, 5:53). Good stuff. Relaxed and strong and very much within myself a good confidence builder.

Yesterday- Day off after I foolishly carried my 1.5 year old around all day, got my legs tired then somehow or another managed to go over on my ankle while putting on a shoe :rolleyes:

I think its safe to say taper madness has started to descend. Spent most of yesterday convincing myself that my marathon was ruined :rolleyes: Luckily I have a couple of people giving me psychological support - its gonna be a tough couple of weeks for them lol

Today met a renowned local psychiatrist (Ecoli) and ran 8.5 very easy miles that was perhaps the most confidence boosting and uplifting run I have done in this training programme. Pain stretched out in the foot and went away body felt great and we just tottered along but it went a long way towards stabilizing my fragile brain.

The next 2.5 weeks should be a laugh. :D

The next 2.5 weeks should be a laugh. :D

Tell me about it, I didn't get out on Tuesday and now I think that I'm losing fitness! :rolleyes: Some craic!

did you go to that nutrition talk last night in AK??

• Advertisement

Friday 8 miles easy @ 7:05 m/m

Saturday 5 miles very easy / recovery

Sunday 17 miles @ 7:10 w/ the last few @ MP. Good run. Budapest in exactly 2 weeks!

did you go to that nutrition talk last night in AK??

Na had to bail at the last minute!

Yesterday- off.

Today 6 miles w/ 4.5 mile fartlek. Ecoli and I headed into Tymon for this one- basically went 1 min fast/ 1.5 mins fast/ 2 mins fast/ 2.5 minsfast/ 3 mins fast/ 2.5 mins fast/ 2 mins fast/ 1.5 mins fast/ 1 min fast. We pretty much ran 1 or 1.5 mins for recovery periods. Just looking back through the Garmin data looks like most of our quick stuff was in between 5:20-5:35 pace. The whole 4.5 w/ rest etc was done at 6:35 avg pace so we didn't drop tons on the recoveries. Good fun and this is probably the first time I've run quicker than HM pace in 3 months lol. Felt great and was really good to have the company.

Highly recommend this workout during a taper- you don't get caught up on times/ distances etc just run for fun...

Yesterday- 4 miles extremely easy... I ****ing hate taper

Today 11.75 miles w/ 3 @ MP (6:19, 6:15, 6:09 :eek:) Met up with Ecoli for this. Am really hating the taper. Feel lazy, stomach at me, diet not right etc etc etc was looking forward to this and really wanted to go off the reservation, Running King style by adding a mile or two of PMP but Ecoli sensibly talked me out of it. MP miles were ok had trouble settling into the pace and then was too quick for the last bit but all good otherwise.

10 Days til Budapest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Followed your fartlek recommendation last night and was probably one of the most enjoyable runs I've had in a while! Great way to ease some taper demons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

drquirky, just out of interest, what was your longest run?

jfh wrote: »
    drquirky, just out of interest, what was your longest run?

I ran a 23 a 3-3.5 weeks out from the marathon- also a 22 and 4-5 18-20's hoping its enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

I ran a 23 a 3-3.5 weeks out from the marathon- also a 22 and 4-5 18-20's hoping its enough!

U won't be lacking for endurance anyway.
    Best of luck.

jfh wrote: »
    U won't be lacking for endurance anyway.
    Best of luck.

Thanks man... best of luck to you as well. Looks like you're going well atm.

Friday off.

Saturday - 7.5 miles including 6x1000m @ 10k pace (3:35, 3:28, 3:30, 3:27, 3:29, 3:28) On a decently rolling surface in deepest, darkest Leitrim. Felt extremely good during this. Very very fit. Very strong. Can't wait for the race!

Sunday 11 miles easy- Plan was 12- 14 but I'm under orders to take no risks. I ran 12 on Thurs and I was a little tired from yesterday's session so cut it at 11 just because I felt there was no point in pushing farther on slightly tiredish legs at this stage. Delighted to see some really good results out of Kilcock today!

• Advertisement

Monday- 30 mins easy w/ no watch. Run fine- everything else not great. Taper madness not fun.

what day do you fly out?

what day do you fly out?

Friday... saw about the calf in your log- not stress fracture type pain is it?

Friday... saw about the calf in your log- not stress fracture type pain is it?

Thanks for asking - No - it feels like a 'nerve' type pain - sometimes its fine and leg feels great - other times the leg gets weak and sore.
    The issue I had around the shin seems ok - its now around the outside of the calf, but not in any 1 specific position.

Don't forget your runners on Friday. :)

Today. 6.5 miles including 1min, 2min,3min, 4min,3min,2min,1min (all w/ 1 min rest) Needed this as I'm still edging towards insanity- you can see the evidence by the way I'm hurling abuse around the A/R forums :D Felt good- all paces around 10k (between 5:30 m/m and 5:40 m/m ) very encouraging the the long reps were run at a faster pace than the shorter ones (i.e. I got faster as the rep went on)

Not long now. Wish someone would take my computer away as obsessing over the weather forecasts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Today. 6.5 miles including 1min, 2min,3min, 4min,3min,2min,1min (all w/ 1 min rest) Needed this as I'm still edging towards insanity- you can see the evidence by the way I'm hurling abuse around the A/R forums :D Felt good- all paces around 10k (between 5:30 m/m and 5:40 m/m ) very encouraging the the long reps were run at a faster pace than the shorter ones (i.e. I got faster as the rep went on)

Not long now. Wish someone would take my computer away as obsessing over the weather forecasts :rolleyes:

I just thought your coach was giving you pointers :D

ecoli wrote: »
    I just thought your coach was giving you pointers :D

Learning from the best!

Today- 3 miles recovery pace

not too psyched w/ the forecast for Sunday. 16 at the start rising to 20 or so by the time I finish.... Will head up to 23 or so by 2pm - maybe I'm just stressing too much but those temps don't seem great to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

No point sweating it man, I know it's not ideal but you can't change it so just go and race it and adapt pace if necessary depending on the conditions. Your training has been awesome, hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Don't forget that you're coming off a hot summer here. Lots of hard work already done in those temperatures.

Hope you get what you deserve. Set the tone for us to follow - up in Chicago a few hours later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement