Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey DrQ, best of luck in Magyaroszxahgcjcd......or whatever they call that country!
    Hopefully the weather will be kind to you and us and a nice fresh 12 - 15 degree day awaits us all!

No doubt we'll be having a gander here before we line up several hours later in Chicago so as Peckham says hopefully you'll have set the lads a nice target to aim for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

16'C is word-record territory. 20'C - 22'C is perfect temperature for sipping a beer afterwards, enjoying your shiny new 'everybody gets one' medal. Best of luck, and hope you run a cracking time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck DrQ - in the form of your life - go forth and PB!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Go get a good enough time to cover your blushes at the pub quiz :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Thanks for all the well wishes people. Final "real" run today 4.5 m w/ 2.5 @ MP. Dying to get out- extremely cruel to only be able to do such a short run. MP miles were fine 6:25/ 6:18/ 6:16.

Had a great massage last night from Ecoli which really loosened me out. Great chat w/ TRR and Ecoli as well- flying tomorrow so no run- 20 mins on Sat and then the big day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck. Hope everything goes to plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Very best of luck on Sunday DrQ. Will be looking out for your time as I know it is going to be impressive. You have put in some work to date and it is no doubt going to pay off.

No doubts, stay positive and accelerate through the pain. Go and blast it.

Looking forward to meeting up over the next couple of months to celebrate the success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck Dr Q. All that good karma from organising the running event of the year is bound to help. The excellent training you've been doing might come in handy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

+1 to all of the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

2.50 with temps up around mid 20s. Super run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TRR wrote: »
    2.50 with temps up around mid 20s. Super run.
    Super stuff! And the best thing? He'll get 5 minutes for free the next time, just with a cooler day.

Thanks all - 27th overall so super happy w/ that. Warm second half but was a 26 min pb so I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Well done Dr Q. That's great running in those conditions. Enjoy the celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Super stuff. Always good to see hard work paying off!

Build up My last marathon was what could be regarded as a total failure. I didn't respect the distance, trained like a dumbass and blew up supremely at 18, coming home in 3:16. I pretty much swore off marathons after that as it was such an unpleasant experience. I continued to run w/ varying degrees of dedication but in the past year have stepped the training up a notch.

I started to have some good results over the spring and summer w/ a 16:41 5k and a 27:50 5mi being the highlights. Both of these predicted a pretty decent marathon time so decided to give the distance another shot. I wanted a flat and fast course as I had no desire to run Dublin this time. Berlin wasn't an option when I was signing up so I decided on Budapest - with the added bonus that I'd been there a couple of times (both work and fun) so had an idea of the city and it's layout.

Approached a member of the club about getting some coaching help as I knew from past experience that this was important. Started a slow but steady build up over the summer, bringing the milage up and building strength (endurance would be a major weak point in my running!) Did a bunch of very consistent 60 plus weeks of pretty easy running. Hit the Nat HM in 1:19 and the Frank Duffy 10 mi in 59:00 so knew the strength was coming along. I kept the head down, trial of miles/ miles of trials and ran the Athlone HM in 1:18 and that was a big confidence booster.

I had a few niggles along the way but thankfully Ecoli kept me healthy and on the road w/ rubs/ treatment etc... The coaching I was receiving was absolutely invaluable as well as I was told to back off when I didn't always want to and was running each day w/ a purpose. Rolled into the taper in good form and looking forward to the day.

The Race: Uneventful travel w/ the family- stayed in an apartment w/ in a hotel so that was pretty comfortable especially w/ a young child. Woke on race morning around 5 (race at half nine :D) and had a bowl of weetabix/ banana/ coffee/ beet shot. It was about a mile walk down to the start at Hero's Square so set out around 8:45 and was delighted I didn't have to wait around the start area very long. The hooter blew and we were off. I started super slow (on purpose) and hilariously my Garmin (which has never given me problems before) started to play up. Spent the entire first mile trying to fix it. Eventually sorted it but my splits a re/were a bit messed up on it. First mile around 6:40 perfect.

The next few miles I just settled in. It was about 16 degrees and a bit humid at this point- was sweating a good bit with the humidity but was also very very comfortable. I should point out here that the course is completely stunning. Passes or goes over three UNESCO World Heritage sites so was enjoying the scenery. Everything was good -at the HM hit 1:24:06 so was very happy with that. Figured I had lots in the tank.

The temp had started to rise at this point and the sun was really coming through the fog. I took water at every station (only a few sips) but felt hydration was going well etc. At around 14 I think I made a crucial error. I was feeling good, the day was starting to heat up so what did I say ? **** it I can run a quicker HM than 1:24. The next few miles were probably too fast. I ran at least 1 6:07 and a few 6:11-6:13. Average pace was working on the Garmin so I know from miles 14-22 I had worked down to an avg pace of 6:21 a mile (2:46 pace). Was seriously psyched though as I figured I could at least hole 6:20's for the last 6 or 7 miles. By that point though, the temp had rise to 20 plus

We hit Margaret Island (the Budapest version of Phoenix Park) and ran miles 19-22 here. This is where the sun started to hurt. Could feel hydration issues kicking in and had the awful experience of starting to overheat and being able to do very little about it. Was literally running water station to water station at this stage. Was pulling three cups per station- dumping the first two over my head and drinking the third. Managed to hold things together through 22 w/ a 6:29 but seriously started to leak time on 23 w/ a 6:49.

24 and 25 were the toughest miles of the race for me. Kept telling myself I only had 5k to go but it didn't really matter- There was no shade from the sun at this point and it was just sapping my energy. I continued trying to relax and just running station to station but tbh I knew I was in a bit of trouble. Did quick calculations and thought the sub 2:50 was pretty safe if I could just hold 6:40's or so- focused on that. Still managed only 6:50's at this point.

The finishing section seemed to go on forever. Didn't really realize the sub 2:50 was gone until 800m to go or so (garmin was still showing a pace of 6:28 per mile which is just enough) pretty annoyed when I found out it was gone but sucked it up to finish decently. Crossed the line hot and tired in 2:50:39. Good for 27th place overall.

Aftermath: On reflection, I'm happy w/ this. It is a 26 min pb. I finished a marathon where I didn't completely blow up and I placed well. I wish I could have gotten the sub 2:50 but it just wasn't the day for that. Pretty sure I ****ed myself up a little bit pushing too early (i.e. mile 14- 18 or so) but I guess you gotta go for it sometimes! The thing I'm most happy about is the next day, I woke up and literally the first thing I wanted to do was pull on my running shoes and run. I took 2 days off after it but ran 20 mins yesterday and was already thinking about how I'm gonna build off this- big time.

Huge thanks to TRR, Ecoli and anyone else who ran with me or gave me advise during this training cycle. I'll be lining up at a race shortly to kick your ass in the near future :D

Well done DrQ. Savage racing particularly in the conditions!

It was great to follow your progress during this training cycle. Really opened my eyes to the potential of aerobic 'easy' running.
    Well done on a great performance, the conditions will give you back some minutes next time out.

I do however think your over playing the role of the coach :p

It was great to follow your progress during this training cycle. Really opened my eyes to the potential of aerobic 'easy' running.
    Well done on a great performance, the conditions will give you back some minutes next time out.

I do however think your over playing the role of the coach :p

Hehehe...Yeah I'm loving the aerobic stuff myself- actually feel like I'm setting myself up for some really big improvements w/ the gained aerobic base/ strength.

That being said I ran three long races (10 mi, HM, HM ) quite hard in the build up. I'd put those efforts and overall training effect up against many of the sessions that Daniels et. al. lay out- I think those 3 races were crucial to the plan and probably ended up being in place of some of the longer MP style efforts others do. Not saying which is better in the overall scheme but "racing into shape" suits me best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great stuff. Big showdown between yourself and RunForestRun on the cards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Great racing Drquirky, it must've gotten pretty lonely if you finished 27th! Massive improvement on previous marathon.. I may as well have been reading my own race report as this one, complete with the trying to talk yourself into running an "easy" sub-20 last 5k.

Look forward to running with/against you sometime soon.

• Advertisement

Great racing Drquirky, it must've gotten pretty lonely if you finished 27th! Massive improvement on previous marathon.. I may as well have been reading my own race report as this one, complete with the trying to talk yourself into running an "easy" sub-20 last 5k.

Look forward to running with/against you sometime soon.

Hehe yeah was pretty sparse alright after 22/23. Great running yourself RfR- that conversation with yourself over the last 5k is a seriously funny one. I actually told myself at one point if I hit the last mile I could drop a 5:30 no prob if needed :0

Ok- back to the grindstone. Here is what I've done since the marathon. Like a few of the Chicago lads definitely not totally recovered but am heading that way

Mon and Tues (after the race) off

Weds. 20 mins recovery (NEEDED to run really chomping at the bit to get out but then found 20 mins pretty tough lol)

Thurs 25 mins recovery

Fri off

Sat 45 mins easy (7:20 pace)

Sunday 45 mins recovery

Monday 40 mins easy

Tues off

As you can see no tough running whatsoever- will run 8-10 today and a few more miles the rest of a week, then pacing 14 miles or so @DCM around 6:45 m/m pace so hopefully all good for that. Plan is to use that as a bit of a springboard and start looking for some races in the next few weeks. Have another baby due in Feb so wanna run some decent stuff before that madness begins again.

I've been taking my H/R every morning just to make sure I'm not pushing too hard and its sitting at its normal 41-42 bpm so think things are ok.

Oh- and just wanna note in the log that since the race I have had a completely ridiculous appetite- for like the last 9-10 days. Literally eating all around me. My o/h made muffins on Sunday and at last count I've consumed 11 of them between then and now....wtf???

:D:D:D:D

drquirky wrote: »
    then pacing 14 miles or so @DCM around 6:45 m/m pace so hopefully all good for that.

The legs will thank you for that I'm sure! ;)

Last few days have been ticking over w/ runs of 8,6 and 4 miles

Yesterday 16 miles @ 6:47 p/m Bit of a pace gig and a front row seat for one of the runs of the year around these parts. Body feeling really good and super excited to start racing again- either the Dublin Senior XC this w/end or a park run to get back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice work drquirky.. I'd say it was a good buzz being back up and running in a marathon so soon.. Fair play to you for having the good sense to drop out, 26.2 would've been tough on the body..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I read your race report there a week or so ago and meant to comment and say well done! Well, here it is... congrats on a great time and a super PB! Sounded like you faced up to a lot of serious challenges out there but came through it in the end. More to come I am sure!

drquirky wrote: »
    Last few days have been ticking over w/ runs of 8,6 and 4 miles

Yesterday 16 miles @ 6:47 p/m Bit of a pace gig and a front row seat for one of the runs of the year around these parts. Body feeling really good and super excited to start racing again- either the Dublin Senior XC this w/end or a park run to get back into it.

You do look like an 'Alan'

Yesterday- off.

Today 8 miles recovery @ 7:51 p/m Good run- felt fine and just really enjoying my running at the moment. its a good feeling, long may it continue!

• Advertisement

Today 1.5 w/u 2x2mi. 1.5 mi c/d

2x 2mi down at a very blustery 15 acres- wanted to hold tempo pace (not totally sure what it even is at this point) Felt very strong aside from some ridiculous stomach bubbling due to too much sparkling water today. Mile split (5:47, 5:47) 2mins rest 5:42, 5:49) Very happy with this as haven't run anything below MP since before the marathon.

All in all shaping up to be a really good week w/ the 16 miles steady, this workout and hopefully a park run....

Just realized this is my 1000th post! Glad it was a proper workout not a mini rant or a trolling post in the Weather forum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement