Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

The day after the Red Sox won the world/American series as well ;) very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Yesterday- 30 mins recovery

Today Marlay parkrun 2nd Place 17:09:

Windy, cold, wet morning but no excuses so headed out for my maiden Marlay parkrun. Bumped into a club mate who I don't know super well but is a pretty handy runner and warmed up a bit with him. Wins a good few of these so figured I'd stay with him and see what happened.

Off we went and a dude in a Cardiff AC vest surged up while I hung on my club mate- powered past him at 1k and ended up in between the two. Nice big hill in the middle of that Marlay course so combined with the wind was working hard in the middle. Rode the downhill into a 2nd place finish (behind the Cardiff guy and 10 secs in front of my club mate). Talked to my club mate after and hes gone 16:48 here and reckoned my output today was good for around that in normal conditions. Happy w/ this as haven't done anything on VO2 max in months- the miles I ran today were the quickest ones I've run since July by 15-20 secs a mile so feel like there is lots more there.

Glad I dragged my ass out and this has been a very good week training wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

drquirky wrote: »
    Yesterday- 30 mins recovery

Today Marlay parkrun 2nd Place 17:09:

Windy, cold, wet morning but no excuses so headed out for my maiden Marlay parkrun. Bumped into a club mate who I don't know super well but is a pretty handy runner and warmed up a bit with him. Wins a good few of these so figured I'd stay with him and see what happened.

Off we went and a dude in a Cardiff AC vest surged up while I hung on my club mate- powered past him at 1k and ended up in between the two. Nice big hill in the middle of that Marlay course so combined with the wind was working hard in the middle. Rode the downhill into a 2nd place finish (behind the Cardiff guy and 10 secs in front of my club mate). Talked to my club mate after and hes gone 16:48 here and reckoned my output today was good for around that in normal conditions. Happy w/ this as haven't done anything on VO2 max in months- the miles I ran today were the quickest ones I've run since July by 15-20 secs a mile so feel like there is lots more there.

Glad I dragged my ass out and this has been a very good week training wise!

Solid run Dr Quirky in the conditions, I came up to Marley from Wex this morning with the missus to run our first parkrun, did 18'35 to come 7th, that drag at half way took the wind out of my sails! still happy enough with it after pacing DCM on Mon. Aim for good outing at Stook 10 mile in couple wks now. Need to get my speed up to have realistic shot of 3hr marathon next yr. Enjoy following your plan.

Well done. Niall is flying after a 2.47 marathon and a good few sub 17s on different parkruns of late so to finish ahead of him anytime especially when he is going well is a great sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Go Sox!!David Ortiz rocks. Tell me one thing whatever became of Nomar? some short stop that lad. And Johhny Damon and Manny? Oh ya the best pitcher of all times 9 and 0 in 04 ??? Schiling could throw a ball too even with a sore foot.If I stand really still I can remember the year I broke the curse of the Bambino on my own. 86 years and it took a Mayo man to exorcise the ghost, now that is ironic!! Great running lately lad well done.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Go Sox!!David Ortiz rocks. Tell me one thing whatever became of Nomar? some short stop that lad. And Johhny Damon and Manny? Oh ya the best pitcher of all times 9 and 0 in 04 ??? Schiling could throw a ball too even with a sore foot.If I stand really still I can remember the year I broke the curse of the Bambino on my own. 86 years and it took a Mayo man to exorcise the ghost, now that is ironic!! Great running lately lad well done.

Nomar was traded and tbh it was probably that trade that won the WS in 2004 ad broke the curse. From my limited knowledge of GAA it would appear you Mayo lads know a thing or two about sports curses :D:D Thanks UP- just trying to plug away at it...

Yesterday- off

Today 13 miles @ 7:01 m/m w/ 6 or 7 miles steady- Fun run just looking to get out and put in a good 90 mins or so and wanted to put some steady miles in there. Felt great steady miles cut down from 6:5x- 6:2x. Lovely late afternoon/ evening in the park although some **** for brains skanger was riding up and down the Ordinance Road at literally 100 plus MPH...as my aunt would call him- organ donor.

Hitting some 800's on Thurs - on the wait list for that Run in the Dark thing cause I kinda wanted to run a 10k but might look for something to race the weekend of the 15th

Yesterday 5 miles recovery

Today- 8x800 w/ 400 jog rest

Met Ecoli down at the greatest club in the country for this one. Very windy but beautiful day. Mile w/u on the track w/ strides then launched into it. No idea what I was gonna do them in really as its been awhile since I've been on the track. Went through first one in 2:40 then the next 6 in between 2:36-2:39- tbh we were losing a good couple of secs on the home straight as the gusts were standing us up so can't put too much stock in the times. Effort was very high and was swimming in lactic acid by the last rep which was a good bit slower in 2:43 :mad:- had that absolutely wrecked feeling that you can get after a really good session. Great day and great to have the company.

Working this weekend so gonna try and squeeze some runs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Met Ecoli down at the greatest club in the country for this one.

Pfft!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Working this weekend so gonna try and squeeze some runs in.

Headlamp run (PP) on Mon or Tues if you're interested. gis a buzz nearer the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Get off our grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That's funny, I didn't spot you in Dunleer today? ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    Get off our grass!

If you noticed- I mentioned we were running today, not jogging so that should clear up any confusion

pconn062 wrote: »
    That's funny, I didn't spot you in Dunleer today? ;)

Didn't even realise Louth was in the country! Sorry!

If you noticed- I mentioned we were running today, not jogging so that should clear up any confusion

Running? okay, what did you nick? :mad:

Running? okay, what did you nick? :mad:

he robbed stuff from your club house. Oh wait ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR wrote: »
    he robbed stuff from your club house. Oh wait ..........

They do have a clubhouse actually.

Shipping-Container.jpg

that fecking container had better still be there this morning!

that fecking container had better still be there this morning!

Too late we have a running related trip to France coming up in the new year and we are going to smuggle club runners free of charge into le harve in your old, our new container.

Instead of going to France and kidnapping decent runners, you could try training some of your own?
    Always looking for shortcuts :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Back to the running.

Sat. 8 miles easy

Sun 5 miles steady @ 6:30 p/m rushed for this so had to make it snappy!

Mon off

Today- wicked tempo. 5 mile tempo 28:54 splits 5:59, 5:53, 5:42, 5:44, 5:38. Not sure I've run a better tempo- ever. Just got stronger as I went- there was a deer cull going on in the PP so had to dodge bullets (reminded me of home :( ). Seriously though- really happy with the quicker stuff lately. Amazing what building a base does for speed work!

Might race this weekend down in Kerry as I'm down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

The gauntlet might be of interest, bit on the expensive side tho. You'd have the endurance after the marathon

jfh wrote: »
    The gauntlet might be of interest, bit on the expensive side tho. You'd have the endurance after the marathon

Cheers jfh- was looking mainly at the 5 k in the killarney race series- you know anything about it?

Yesterday 7 miles easy

Today 15 miles easy 1:50 - Kind of a funny run. I had to drive my wife's car to the mechanic but it broke down enroute which was actually fine as I had my gear on (don't ask lol) At any rate good to get some distance in as I've a high pressure pacing gig coming up on the 23rd... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

Cheers jfh- was looking mainly at the 5 k in the killarney race series- you know anything about it?

no DrQ, dont no much about it, there is this;
    http://www.feetfirst.ie/events.aspx?contentid=670

jfh wrote: »
    no DrQ, dont no much about it, there is this;
    http://www.feetfirst.ie/events.aspx?contentid=670

Thanks JFH- Yeah thats the one... certainly in a pretty nice spot anyway!

16:53 good enough for 4th place in Killarney today. Nice day for it. Good weeks training with a solid tempo 15 miles Thursday and a decent race today. 5k speed coming back a bit hopefully knock a good amount off that before Jingle Bells!

Last couple of days

Sun 30 min recovery run- that's really all I had time for

Monday 1 hr easy

Tuesday 9 miles @ 6:49 or PPP - Have no idea why but am pacing the Clontarf HM on saturday and really wanted to nail the pace into my legs. Set out through the hills of the PP and wasn't too stressed at all felt great and a lovely but cool day to run- all good for Saturday hopefully.

Weds. "no bad weather, only soft people." Was thinking of a track session but when I went outside and felt the wind, I ruled that out. Decided instead to give the big **** you to the weather and hit the PP for some Munich laps lol...

Figured a 20 min tempo encompassing as many of the Munich hills as possible was a good option so trudged down to the base of the Magazine Fort and off I went. Ended up cresting 8 or so different hills (including all of Kypher) and being nearly blown to a standstill at some points. One of the harder tempos I've ever done. There were times I was looking at the watch and killing myself just to hold MP- still this kind of session really helps me and works to make the racing easier. Pace was really al over the shop and not important here but ranged between 5:40 pace on the flats w/ no wind exposure to MP up hill into the wind.

Capped the day by doing six 8=10 sec sprint reps up the little hill next to the Magazine Fort. Am trying to up my speed a good bit and we used to do this kind of thing back many moons ago when I still raced distances less than 5000m. Legs sore but felt like a good days work

Thurs - 5 easy recovery Just a couple recovery days going into the pacing of the Clontarf HM on Sat... Ran along the Long Mile Rd as had to pick up wife's car in the mechanic....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's a great idea for a tempo run. Might build a few of those into my schedule.

Look after those folks in Clontarf and don't be getting narky with them :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement