Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Oops! Let this go for a while. Last three weeks have been pretty consistent despite the Christmas madness! Highlights have included a crazy/ gale force park run in Marlay, a hail ridden, freezing X-Mas Cracker 5k(16:49) a nice 15 miler easy 2 days ago, a hilly 10miler on X-Mas eve in Leitrim, a 4 mile hilly tempo in Leitrim on X-Mas day @ 5:49 p/m etc etc. Coming into the 2014 in pretty decent shape.

The question is, where to from here?

2013 Review

PB's 2:50 (Marathon ) finally ran an ok marathon. After my epic blow up in 2011 (3:16) hit a big pb on a hot day in Budapest

59:01 10mi @ Frank Duffy. My first crack at the distance so happy enough w/ that but can be improved for sure

1:18:20 HM in Athlone. Again- a good PB but can improve

I'm still a good bit off my 3k-10k PB's set at 19-20 years of age (maybe will never get back to them as don't seem to have the raw speed I had then :()

So with all this in mind my goals for 2014

5k - 16:15
    5mile- 27 flat
    10k- 34:10
    10mile -57
    HM 1:16
    Marathon 2:43
    Beer Mile - sub 8

The big long term goal is a sub 2:40 in Boston 2015. We've another baby due in February so that could throw a spanner in the works but feel like I'll be able to hold a decent level of fitness running really easy for 6-8 weeks while the baby is a newborn and go from there.

Thanks to all who helped out w/ runs/comments/advise etc this year. Good luck to all w/ your goals for 2014!

Also plan on hitting the Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's day- anyone else running it? One of my favourite races every year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Its been a good year Dr. Q

That's a mighty fine list of goals for next year - certainly stretching yourself.

Not doing the Tom B myself this year, going to give it a miss, but might pop down to watch.

Its been a good year Dr. Q

That's a mighty fine list of goals for next year - certainly stretching yourself.

Not doing the Tom B myself this year, going to give it a miss, but might pop down to watch.

Not tempted to try for sub 18 that day? That course is quick and you know it well….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll probably do the Tom B, will be signing up on the day if so...

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll probably do the Tom B, will be signing up on the day if so...

Yup- I'm the same Meno…If the wind is ridic I'll give it a miss cause honestly can't face another soul destroying slog through gale force winds...

Any wind will be in your face on the furze road then on your back for the 0.5m stretch at O.S road, also on your back for the bit down Chesterfield.

drquirky wrote: »
    Yup- I'm the same Meno…If the wind is ridic I'll give it a miss cause honestly can't face another soul destroying slog through gale force winds...

Yeah, that's my thinking too, If I am not doing that I am thinking of the ferrycarig 5 mile on the 12th...

Yeah, that's my thinking too, If I am not doing that I am thinking of the ferrycarig 5 mile on the 12th...

Ran the ferrycarrig last yr. Good race. Aren't the master's xc's on the weekend of the 12th?

Any wind will be in your face on the furze road then on your back for the 0.5m stretch at O.S road, also on your back for the bit down Chesterfield.

Furze is the most downhill stretch of the course though, right?

• Advertisement

Ran the ferrycarrig last yr. Good race. Aren't the master's xc's on the weekend of the 12th?

I don't do XC :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't do XC :p

Track fairy :pac:

Yes, Masters XC on the 12th, me and my hangover will be there

Furze is the most downhill stretch of the course though, right?

maybe a slight downhill, but seems flat to me.

maybe a slight downhill, but seems flat to me.

Yeah the whole course is pretty flat.
    Anyway Yr.no is giving a strong southerly wind for Wednesday http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/
    From my understanding that would mean it would be with us for the OS rd but mostly against against for the rest of the course. Will check again tomorrow...

31/12 5 easy- followed by lots of silly drinking bagged the 5k race pretty early i the night

1/1 5 easy hungover miles

2/1 Met up with Ecoli and hit 3x 2miles @ tempo pace

11:28 (5:46, 5:42), 11:26 (5:46, 5:40), 11:27 (5:48, 5:43)

Good session. Weather got progressively worse as we went but great to work together on this one. Ecoli pushed on for another set but as I have no marathon in the near future I capped it at the 3 reps.

3/1 6.5 miles easy. LSR tomorrow

Drink has been given up for January. Will be interesting to see the impact it has on my running (not that I really drink that much though did go mad in December for sure!)

4/1 16 miles @ 7:47 pace. Delightful run w/ the artist formerly known as Running King and meno. Just wanted a nice easy LSR to put some decent miles in and thats what I got. Unreal how much quicker these runs go w/ company lol…

5/1 Unplanned fartlek. Was unsure how I was gonna squeeze in speed work this week so made a compromise w/ myself as I headed out. I decided to just bang out a fartlek and hit a session on Tuesday w/ a sharpener on Thurs w/ the Dublin Masters XC coming up on Sunday. Did alternating reps of 1 min and 1.5 mins w/ 1 min 7:00 m/m rest in between. hit 4 1 min reps and 4 1.5 min reps. all reps dropped down between 5 m/m and 5:15 m/m pace so not completely blasting. Legs felt really good on this.

Masters XC and Raheny 5 are realistically the last 2 goal races before the baby is due in mid Feb. Hopefully can run well in both - I'll be happy to take a 4-8 week break from racing after that as I've raced a ton over the last 14/15 months….

Mon 6/1 off.

Today (am) 7 miles easy - tougher than it appeared. My near 2 yr old went on a complete mad one last night and I reckon we got 1 hr max of sleep! Suffice to say this one dragged and was compounded by my first anxiety attack in a while lol.

(Pm) 4 miles easy. Just need to exorcise the demons of this mornings run. Glad I did this. Pretty happy I got in a decent days training with last nights craziness. Pushed my session back to tomorrow as have never found it smart to run hard after ****ty nights sleep.

Weds 8/1

Hit the PP for a pre programmed interval set. 6x 1k off 90 secs. Was looking to hit 5k pace so anywhere below 3:20 I'd be happy with.

3:14
    3:16
    3:18
    3:22
    3:17
    3:16

Very happy with these. Intervals like these aren't always my strong point so very very happy w/ being consistent. My slowest rep was on perhaps the most uphill (if you could call it that) section. Won't lie- was dangerously close to puking after rep 5 and nearly bagged #6 at 500m but held on.

Recovery drink -my favourite Strawberry milk- made a sweet veggie curry for a healthy dinner. I feel like one of the D and D chicks on a New years resolution buzz- looking forward to the XC this weekend- maybe a double day tomorrow but easy running until the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

And you were worried about sticking with me and the young fella at the weekend? :eek::eek:

Great session nice confidence booster for the weekend. Those Knocklyon Joggers must be quaking in there boots :D

ecoli wrote: »
    Those Knocklyon Joggers must be quaking in there boots :D

I'm pretty sure the preferred slagging term is now Sisters Pearse.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure the preferred slagging term is now Sisters Pearse.

I reserve that for mixed races where they can field there big guns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Lads, keep doing the 1k reps

26.2 is the real deal, and thankfully I dont need a chick for that distance, ive jogged around that distance faster than either of you two smug gits :)

(May not have ecoli on this for long so need to make the most of it!)

When youre faster over the real deal you can pipe up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Lads, keep doing the 1k reps

26.2 is the real deal, and thankfully I dont need a chick for that distance, ive jogged around that distance faster than either of you two smug gits :)

(May not have ecoli on this for long so need to make the most of it!)

When youre faster over the real deal you can pipe up again.

did somebody call?

TRR wrote: »
    did somebody call?

Yeah ive got nothing on you. Hard to compete with actual running talent. Ill take it from you if youre so inclined and just build resentment :) Slag away.

not those other two 26.2 underperformers though :)

Yeah ive got nothing on you. Hard to compete with actual running talent. Ill take it from you if youre so inclined and just build resentment :) Slag away.

not those other two 26.2 underperformers though :)

You mean overachiever right? ;)
    Tell me this is a joke? :)

Youre a faster runner than me, but youre not prepared for 26.2 at any pace buddy. 17.5 isnt really even dipping your toe in the water.

ecoli wrote: »
    You mean overachiever right? ;)

Hahaha I tried to warn you, if youd listened to me I wouldnt be able to say im faster than you now.

this is what happens when lads just wear the vest and dont train with their clubs. You should come down to us.....

Now, ive got to stop this for my own sake :). I already might need a log title change 'tallaght ac almost turned me into a troll'.

im sure youll all be ahead of me on sunday, and I wish you the best of neighbourly luck.

if either of you fancy an autumn openly declared smackdown (particularly dr.quirky ;)) at the DCM id be def on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

if either of you fancy an autumn openly declared smackdown (particularly dr.quirky ;)) at the DCM id be def on.

I think I'm having a leg amputated and a heart/lung transplant in September but I'd still confident enough to take one of the sisters on :D

Hahaha I tried to warn you, if youd listened to me I wouldnt be able to say im faster than you now.

this is what happens when lads just wear the vest and dont train with their clubs. You should come down to us.....

Now, ive got to stop this for my own sake :). I already might need a log title change 'tallaght ac almost turned me into a troll'.

im sure youll all be ahead of me on sunday, and I wish you the best of neighbourly luck.

Train with club members but with work/ coaching in the club not always able to train at same times.

I was thinking of a more short term target like adding a team aspect to the beer mile this year :D

Absolutely. Sounds good. Just remember though even with a 2:42/2:43- you and I will most likely be slower than (our) Tallaght AC's first 4 runners lol. Correct me if I'm wrong but you should be first man over the line for BP no?

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Sounds good. Just remember though even with a 2:42/2:43- you and I will most likely be slower than (our) Tallaght AC's first 4 runners lol. Correct me if I'm wrong but you should be first man over the line for BP no?

Wouldnt be sure. I didnt run dcm this year. We had three under 3hrs (2:49 fastest) but two of those are running berlin this year (a load from the club are going) and one is running poznan (!). Ray is getting fit and id say has a good 26.2 in him.

Smackdown would be great, especially as we are (I suspect) very different runners. Have your kid and get training. Loser pays for a couple of beers for the winner and has to wear the singlet from the other club in the pub?

im putting it on the line here, your 5k time is a good 45-50 sec faster than mine right now.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement