Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Drainage pipe - Garden Path

• 15-04-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,
    I have a low lying Garden path that retains about 2 inches of water after heavy rain.
    The plan is to sort this by using some land drainage pipe that will redirect the water to a sump hole that I have .(sump is buried below tree)
    as per attached pics does anyone have an idea as the best way to do the pipes..
    3 pipes seperate to sump hole or one pipe connected in a "U".

Thx,
    Ray..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If the pebbled area is flooding after rain, there is something else holding water? Installing a short piece or 3 sections of land drain would be a waste of time.

Why not connect an acco channel to the gulley at end of RWP? Simply install the acco channel at end of path and across the door entrance connect the outlet to gulley. A much more efficient way of tackling your surface water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

If the pebbled area is flooding after rain, there is something else holding water? Installing a short piece or 3 sections of land drain would be a waste of time.

Why not connect an acco channel to the gulley at end of RWP? Simply install the acco channel at end of path and across the door entrance connect the outlet to gulley. A much more efficient way of tackling your surface water.
    ++1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

I agree with sonnenblumen, total waste of time is you current plan, the seem u have a cover over the drain in this why it not getting the water away or is it to high or blocked, does it actually run the water anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rwaldron21

Hiya guys and thx for the replies.
    Just to clarify.. The current drain that you see just leads to a frech drain or sump hole located 3 feet deep under the tree.
    This is not blocked and copes very well with the rain water from the shed roof.
    My plan was to direct surface water from the path directly into the french drain via the land drain pipes rather than trying to cut into the existing drain pipe u bend?

So redirecting directly to french drain via land drain pipes is a bad idea ?.
    Then should I remove one of the paving stones, increase the gap between them, leaving space at the door for and acco channel? how do I connect the acco channel to the drain u bend.channel needs to have a fall.
    attached is a picture of the drain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Use a different gulley for starters, ie one which allows a sideways connection. The one in photo isn't ideal unless you sink it deeply and use it with gulley risers and I woudn't bother about the U bend.

BTW if the porous surface is already holding water, I do not see how a land drain could be of assistance. Also if the existing gulley is diverting runoff to a sump, it could be the sump aint big enough or has maxed out whichmay explain why the ground would quickly saturate resulting in surface water etc.

You really need to find out why theer is surface water despite the presence of slabs with gaps filled with gravel. I would find out first, remedy this before doing anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 rwaldron21

Hiya,
    the Gulley has already been in place for a year or so and is NOT over flowing.
    My problem is that the path is now the lowest point.
    When the path has 2 inches of water it does soak away by the next day.
    Its just when there is a sudden downpour , the path floods.After the downpour the gulley is still ok.
    I think your idea of a channel will do the trick.
    As attached there is a clark drain that has a punch through hold that will sit into the current gulley..
    My only worry now is that the new channel will be too much for the soak away.
    Worth a try though..!!

Ray

Advertisement