Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stout kits

Options
  • 15-04-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So is it possible to make a nice stout with a decent kit at home? Something that even vaguely approaches, for example, canned Murphy's?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've generally been happy with kit stouts I've made. The plain white-label Coopers one is better than the premium black-label one, and I'm sure you get better results with the more expensive kits.

But obviously it won't be nitrogenated like the widget cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BeerNut wrote: »
    But obviously it won't be nitrogenated like the widget cans.

So no head or a crappy one?

edit: Is this what I'm looking for?

The normal head you get on any bottled beer. Stout is just an ale made from black grains, after all.

Nitrogenation is actually detrimental to beer flavour and I much prefer stouts to be normally carbonated than nitro'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I did the Coopers Irish stout a few weeks ago and while its a nice drink it has zero head retention. Foamy brown for a few minutes then gone.
    It doesn't detract from the taste though.

I'm not normally a stout drinker although I was a Guinness drinker for 5 or 6 years a few years back, but I couldn't find any fault with the Coopers Irish stout as a beer. Mind you, its only been bottled for about a month. Maybe that will improve with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

Did a Make Your Own Beer Irish Stout that I picked up in Homebrewwest a few months back and it came out surprising very nice but more like a Bottle of Guinness off the shelf rather than pint from the tap however most bottles had a decent enough head retention throughout the drink.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    edit: Is this what I'm looking for?
    That's the one. For a few extra quid there's this, which I've never done but I've heard great things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

I have done the milestone black pearl twice ,id recommend it ,but change the yeast for danstar ale type ,as it will finish with lower f.g than the kit one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

tteknulp wrote: »
    I have done the milestone black pearl twice ,id recommend it ,but change the yeast for danstar ale type ,as it will finish with lower f.g than the kit one

Is this the one?

Khannie wrote: »
    Is this the one?

Ye thats it , muntons yeast are not great ,i have had troble getting them below 1018 ,the sa 04 might work too itz cheaper aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Coopers Kit http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-brewmaster-irish-stout-17kg-446-p.asp
    1.5kg can of LME
    250g Marris otter
    200g Chocolate malt
    100g Wheat Whole grain
    125g Dark brown sugar
    30g Fuggles
    20g Galena

brewed the above a few weeks ago and very happy with the results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Did a stout kit the other day. Spilt it into three, chocolate, a hoppy and plain varieties. Wanted to do a milk stout varity but didn't have any lactose. However I have ordered some lactose and I am wondering can I add it to the plain stout at bottling time? If so how much?

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Did a stout kit the other day. Spilt it into three, chocolate, a hoppy and plain varieties. Wanted to do a milk stout varity but didn't have any lactose. However I have ordered some lactose and I am wondering can I add it to the plain stout at bottling time? If so how much?

You must boil lactose at start as it dosnt disolve easy ,with 1 ltrs water and add to fermenter,200-300 is plenty for 23 ltr

200-300 grams?

200-300 grams?

Yeah , why do u think its too much ? Explain

When i do choc milk stout ,thats the amount in recipe

No I'm just asking, you never stated the measurements. Could have been 200-300 kilos or 200-300 table spoons.

No I'm just asking, you never stated the measurements. Could have been 200-300 kilos or 200-300 table spoons.

Yeah grams,

Advertisement