Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riot shields

• 15-04-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Wanted to ask you all is it worth building a riot shield ?
    have you seen any in use in Ireland
    have you seen any problems with it

if you run an airsoft or act as a warden what would be your primary worry ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

The general consensus on riot shields is that they need good site-rules to govern their usage, as they can be extremely frustrating to play against. The best idea for a riot shield that came up in the past was to build it with degradable cardboard panels...that way as you're using it people can still lay down suppressive fire, and you have to be careful so as they don't shoot through the shield.

They do lead to a lot of arguments because most people wear boots playing, and if you're carrying the shield, typically it's in the boot you're going to get shot...not exactly the easiest place to notice.

The best site rules for using riot shields are (in my opinion, obviously):
    1.) If you're hit, you must drop the shield where you were hit - your team mates or the enemy are allowed to use it.

2.) A direct hit with an M203 grenade destroys the shield (removes from game), and kills the user behind

3.) A grenade (Thunder B, Tornado etc) within close proximity of the shield destroys the shield and kills the user behind

Those rules tend to make everyone more at ease - one person doesn't possess a potentially game-changing device for the entirety of the day, and give clear methods to disabling the shield. It allows the game to flourish as far as equipment is concerned. I still standby that the degradable shield is the nicest solution, as it is more realistic and definitely gives you more of a chance to combat the shield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Wolfruin

I would be delighted to follow those rules ill be making it out of cardboard will be making a plexi glass one primary for show have a few concepts aiming to make it suitable for my punisher loadout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Wolfruin wrote: »
    Wanted to ask you all is it worth building a riot shield ?
    have you seen any in use in Ireland
    have you seen any problems with it

if you run an airsoft or act as a warden what would be your primary worry ?

1. For the craic, oh yes it's worth it ;)
    2. We've got one(1) and it's made of 7mm perspex sheeting, with cardboard panels that absorb BB's
    3. There are many issues, the most obvious being how and when to use it

Practically speaking, it was a waste of time and money, also, it's only been used maybe three(3) times in the last two(2)+ years :(

thats why idealy i want two shields one that is a wall hanger but looks the part the other would be safe to use in say the hive etc

thats why idealy i want two shields one that is a wall hanger but looks the part the other would be safe to use in say the hive etc

I'd be happy to bring it to the Hive and you can use it in game, as it would be fun to watch someone else carry this thing around for awhile LoL :P

• Advertisement

going to the hive on the 28th i believe

going to the hive on the 28th i believe

We're planning to hit Special Ops Airsoft in Borris Co. Carlow that day, so will not be at the Hive, with this item until early May to be honest

thats fine no worry gives me a chance to check the site out and have a chat with the owners sorry im late replying never saw ye commented

Advertisement