Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2013 Draw & Gossip

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Just watched a longer clip of Ronnie talking about not playing many tournaments again,he's been very honest explaining it all even though he doesn't have,fair play to him,I hope he wins this one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Ronnie is easy to dislike IMO, he's constant talk of retirement pisses me off, it always has. I reckon he only talks about it just so he can hear people cry out for him to stay along with hearing them gush over how he's the most naturally gifted player ever, he loves the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

To me it seems like Ronnie is a tired old man. Not physically but mentally. Snooker seems to be a bad influence on his health and he seems genuinely happy to be able to retire soon. However he is constantly tied into accounts with sponsors so I think that this time, once the contract expires he's out for good.

Some people don't seem to understand that he needs a breath of fresh air and get out of this sport. But they're mostly interested in their greedy pleasure of watching a good game and think that this man should thread on his own health to entertain them. I couldn't disagree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Walden against Hawkins - oh dear lord.

Is anyone watching it. At the moment it is mind-numbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Boogietime wrote: »
    To me it seems like Ronnie is a tired old man. Not physically but mentally. Snooker seems to be a bad influence on his health and he seems genuinely happy to be able to retire soon. However he is constantly tied into accounts with sponsors so I think that this time, once the contract expires he's out for good.

Some people don't seem to understand that he needs a breath of fresh air and get out of this sport. But they're mostly interested in their greedy pleasure of watching a good game and think that this man should thread on his own health to entertain them. I couldn't disagree more.

Yeah, he's had a tough auld life has poor Ronnie:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I stayed up til 2 last night catching up on yesterdays snooker. the match between Trump and Murphy was unreal! absolutely riviting.

Just watched the first session between Ronnie and Judd. I managed to avoid scores while I was at work and of course the first thing that popper up when I opened FB this evening was the score :( any way

I didnt enjoy the first couple of frames. I felt Judd was a bit nervy but my god when he got going he was great to watch. he must be in disbelief that he is drawing with the great Ronnie O'Sullivan in the quarter finals of the World Championships.

for all this back and forth about O'Sullivan, you cannot deny that he is a master of his craft, whether its something he is just naturally brilliant at, something he works hard at or (which is more likely) a great combination of both. I have never seen another player get the positional shots that he does. And the fact that he was able to stay away for nearly a year, come back with a 40% long pit success rate, and by the middle of the 2nd round he was back up to 100% in one of the frames. Thats just amazing I think.
    Whether you like him as a person or not, he is still wonderful to watch.

Did anyone else think though, that O'Sullivan kinda lost concentration a bit towards the end of the 2nd session with Bingham? He really should have finished him off in that 2nd session, but he let Bingham back into it. OR was he just letting Bingham get a few frames on the board for his sake. I just felt like he was in flying form in the first session and just seemed to slack off a bit in the 2nd. Or maybe its just me having a bit of a "conspiracy moment".

Anyway since Im working 2moro I will miss the second session, and Im travelling down to Cork so Im praying that the remote record thingy on Sky + works and I have set it to record properly. anyone know when the 3rd session will be on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yeah, he's had a tough auld life has poor Ronnie:rolleyes:

Suffers with depression and drug addiction, his father incarcerated for 18 years. He may have earned plenty of money but I wouldn't count that as an easy life by any means.

I'm not a fan of his at all and wish he'd either play or retire, stop with all the on/off crap but it's his own choice, not much we can do.

I hope Judd goes on to beat him and win the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I cant believe what a whiner this 'man' is. All he has to do is go out and play a few frames of snooker a couple of days a week. And most of the games in the season are comparatively very short to the games at the worlds. I accept it can be a tiring game mentally but thats why they have mid session intervals so its not like he has to be out there for 8-10 hours on end. I actually thought he had turned the corner this time as i heard nothing but positivity from him all week and he was playing mind-blowing stuff. And then i heard his latest comments and its back to the same old Ronnie again. The sad part is he could go and win the next 3-4 world titles and beat Hendry's record if he wants to. No player can come close to him when he's at his best. I think he could really be going for good this time though. The way he was talking was like he just came back for one last hurrah.I think he needs to move on now and let snooker move on without him, even though it will be poorer for it.

WumBuster wrote: »
    I cant believe what a whiner this 'man' is. All he has to do is go out and play a few frames of snooker a couple of days a week. And most of the games in the season are comparatively very short to the games at the worlds. I accept it can be a tiring game mentally but thats why they have mid session intervals so its not like he has to be out there for 8-10 hours on end. I actually thought he had turned the corner this time as i heard nothing but positivity from him all week and he was playing mind-blowing stuff. And then i heard his latest comments and its back to the same old Ronnie again. The sad part is he could go and win the next 3-4 world titles and beat Hendry's record if he wants to. No player can come close to him when he's at his best. I think he could really be going for good this time though. The way he was talking was like he just came back for one last hurrah.I think he needs to move on now and let snooker move on without him, even though it will be poorer for it.

Mid session interval.. are you serious? The lad has problems, as I said above he suffers with depression and drug addiction. Broken up marriage with 3 kids from 2 women. Mentally it's his life thats taking a toll as well as snooker. He should take a break for a few years and see then, when he sorts everything out, if he can sort everything out, and give it another go.
    All he has to do is go out and play a few frames of snooker a couple of days a week.

Ridiculous statement, I've heard Ken talking about training routines of 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week, A lot more than just a few frames a day

Also why the quotes around 'man'? Is he a she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Mid session interval.. are you serious? The lad has problems, as I said above he suffers with depression and drug addiction. Broken up marriage with 3 kids from 2 women. Mentally it's his life thats taking a toll as well as snooker. He should take a break for a few years and see then, when he sorts everything out, if he can sort everything out, and give it another go.

Ridiculous statement, I've heard Ken talking about training routines of 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week, A lot more than just a few frames a day

Also why the quotes around 'man'? Is he a she?

'Man' as in acting like a child. Its funny how people with chaotic lives such as Ronnie always have a long list of people, circumstances, addictions and illnesses to blame for them acting like complete pricks. Anything is never their fault so they never take responsibility for their actions. All he is doing really is just being a selfish prick. Anyway, a line needs to be drawn by the snooker authorities they cant keep pandering to every whim of his. There is a long list of players outside the top 16 trying to make a living who would give their right arm to be playing in all those tournaments that Ronnie refuses to play in. he's not going to change so I think after these worlds they should just cut their ties with him, one way or another.

• Advertisement

They'll find it hard to cut ties with arguably one of the greatest ever snooker players.

I agree sometimes he does act like a child and thats the reason I don't like him. As I said above, he needs to sort himself out, then think about coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

SarahBM wrote: »
    I didnt enjoy the first couple of frames. I felt Judd was a bit nervy but my god when he got going he was great to watch. he must be in disbelief that he is drawing with the great Ronnie O'Sullivan in the quarter finals of the World Championships.

Huh??

The guy has played Ronnie 11 times and won 6 of them.
    He's ranked number 3 in the world.

It must be a dream come true :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

This piece was written just before Ronnie returned for the PTC last Autumn. A few little insights into the man everyone seems to dislike.........

http://snookerhq.com/2012/09/06/fins-fables-the-return-of-the-rocket/

And this one shortly after.........

http://snookerhq.com/2012/11/06/fins-fables-will-the-rocket-fire-again/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

BQQ wrote: »
    Huh??

The guy has played Ronnie 11 times and won 6 of them.
    He's ranked number 3 in the world.

It must be a dream come true :rolleyes:

Has he played him at the crucible before? I would think this venue and tournament are a whole other level, but I'm probably wrong.
    I bow to your expertise.
    When is the 3rd session?

SarahBM wrote: »
    Has he played him at the crucible before? I would think this venue and tournament are a whole other level, but I'm probably wrong.
    I bow to your expertise.
    When is the 3rd session?

2nd Session 10am
    3rd Session 7.30pm
    4th Session Tomorrow 2.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I read his autobiography a few years ago, Very good read but it doesn't give you a proper insight into the guy he is, Still well worth a read - interesting parts on Ken in the book too and their early snooker life in the UK.

It can be got quite cheap on amazon and is worth a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Anyone provide an update on the score ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

TheNap wrote: »

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/LiveMatchesList/Tournament/13297

that link updates every 60 seconds if you are not near a tv

TheNap wrote: »

8-6 Ronnie

Two more frames to play

O'Sullivans safety has been excellent also he's scoring very heavy which has put Trump under a lot of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

Really enjoying the match. Ronnie 8-6 ahead now. Kinda feel for Trump, seems to be getting a lot of bad luck with the kicks etc. I just hope its stays close and Ronnie doesn't run away with it.

• Advertisement

Trump trying to force the issue here and pot his way back into the match, and against a superb match player like O'Sullivan he can't afford this many mistakes.

O'Sullivan may well come out of this session 10-6 ahead going into tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Really hope Trump can close this gap, he would be my personal favourite for the win. Seems to be getting a bit of bad luck with the table.

9-6 O'Sullivan

Trump really needs this one! Can't be giving ronnie a 4 frame lead!

Come on Judd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody think the commentators need a shake up. Just the same boring statements every few frames. Taylor fairly often mixing up the scores like this morning Ronnie 20 behind and he saying Ronnie just needs one more red. Also saying where's that cue ball going when you can see it's nowhere near going in off.

It seems nearly every match you hear about the 85 final it just gets boring. Also every time Trump pots a long ball oh it's naughty snooker. What is naughty snooker powering in long balls and showing off like most players near the end of the frame.

Some fantastic safety play, and escapes from snookers, from both players at the moment! Massive frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Has Ronnie ever beaten Trump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody think the commentators need a shake up. Just the same boring statements every few frames. Taylor fairly often mixing up the scores like this morning Ronnie 20 behind and he saying Ronnie just needs one more red. Also saying where's that cue ball going when you can see it's nowhere near going in off.

It seems nearly every match you hear about the 85 final it just gets boring. Also every time Trump pots a long ball oh it's naughty snooker. What is naughty snooker powering in long balls and showing off like most players near the end of the frame.

It's not an easy job, it's hard to keep coming up with something interesting when your commenting on a long match! Who are the best commentators, I think WT & JV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is anyone else sick to the teeth of Ronnie and his moaning about the game? He's been moaning about the game for ten years now. We get it, Ronnie. What a bore.

Advertisement