Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Championship 2013 Draw & Gossip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Just looked at Poomjaeng's facebook page and on his recent activity I seen this

Dechawat changed Tactics (4-3-3) on Top Eleven Be a Football Manager.
    6 hours ago ·

LOL the guy is on facebook playing a football manager game after that!? Guy is mental alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

celticfc wrote: »
    I don't know if you seen him in the Premier League on Sky Sports this year, but he was fantastic. Up there with Mark Davis as the most improved players this year.

Premier League is a different game to the worlds, Sam Baird is a decent player but Bingham's experience will be worth an extra few points each frame. Bingham to win 10-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

seanhynes wrote: »
    Just looked at Poomjaeng's facebook page and on his recent activity I seen this

Dechawat changed Tactics (4-3-3) on Top Eleven Be a Football Manager.
    6 hours ago ·

LOL the guy is on facebook playing a football manager game after that!? Guy is mental alright
    LOL legend
    zack01 wrote: »
    Premier League is a different game to the worlds, Sam Baird is a decent player but Bingham's experience will be worth an extra few points each frame. Bingham to win 10-6

There's one big difference for Bingham this year. Something he's never experienced. People will be expecting him to be one of the contenders. He's never been in that position before. Also given a lot of seeds are tumbling out, he might feel under even more pressure thinking "i have a good chance this year". Even in soccer there's a different type of pressure when you're expected to win or qualify for a tournament.

If they both bring their best games to the table, Bingham will be too good. But Baird is dangerous with nothing expected of him and is absolutely buzzing lately in qualifiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Is it just me or are a lot of players missing a lot of pots ?

This tournament so far feels like a throwback to when it took players 3-4 opportunities to win a frame.

I haven't been impressed by anybody yet and definitely not Ronnie. He missed balls but just wasn't punished.

That's really what it's all about - what your opponent does when you miss. If your not getting hammered when you miss then the pressure doesn't build.

If you are getting hammered every time you miss then pressure builds more and more because you know if you miss it could be your last shot.

I think the quality has been low so far but the entertainment is better. More frames are been "slugged" out from what I've seen and I'm enjoying that aspect.

I don't think we've seen the winner play yet so it looks good for Selby (i didn't see him last night) and Robertson if their quality is as high as it's been all season.

fangee wrote: »

This tournament so far feels like a throwback to when it took players 3-4 opportunities to win a frame.

I haven't been impressed by anybody yet and definitely not Ronnie. He missed balls but just wasn't punished.

That's really what it's all about - what your opponent does when you miss. If your not getting hammered when you miss then the pressure doesn't build.

If you are getting hammered every time you miss then pressure builds more and more because you know if you miss it could be your last shot.

I think the quality has been low so far but the entertainment is better. More frames are been "slugged" out from what I've seen and I'm enjoying that aspect.

I don't think we've seen the winner play yet so it looks good for Selby (i didn't see him last night) and Robertson if their quality is as high as it's been all season.

That's the beauty of the world championships, the first round matches are always a run if the mill affair, the odd shock thrown in but very rarely regulare outstanding snooker is produced. The second round is where the tournament really takes off, all matches are the best of 25 and its where the top players begin to show form.
    If you look back at the previous 20 odd championships its been the same, no player hits top form in the first round in fact if you look at all the previous winners the majority have labored through their first round match.

As much as I love to see the top players miss the easy ball to prove they are human it's always nice to see the century breaks go in and expect a lot more of them over the next 13 days.

• Advertisement

Did you see Ding play? He made 131 and 129 and looked in great touch.

Otherwise i agree with you, it's not been vintage standard wise but entertainment wise it's been one of the best 1st weeks in a long time. A lot of close frames and tactical play.

It means so much to the players, not least financially. £52,000 for losing semi-finalist this year so players with a poor or average season can turn that into a great season by reaching the semis. Losing in the semis actually pays more than for winning a lot of ranking events. At the end of the day, snooker is far removed from the big bucks in football, tennis, golf etc so it's a massive chance for a lot of these guys to do something big.

Ok, the likes of Ronnie, Higgins, Trump don't need to worry about money. But a little lower down, even the likes of Mark Allen recently said he needed to play well to cover travel expenses etc, so for the likes of Mark Davis, Bingham, etc it's a potential life-changer if they can reach the semis or better.

All of that is adding up to players slugging it out every frame, making sure their safety is top notch.

Did you see Ding play? He made 131 and 129 and looked in great touch.

Otherwise i agree with you, it's not been vintage standard wise but entertainment wise it's been one of the best 1st weeks in a long time. A lot of close frames and tactical play.

It means so much to the players, not least financially. £52,000 for losing semi-finalist this year so players with a poor or average season can turn that into a great season by reaching the semis. Losing in the semis actually pays more than for winning a lot of ranking events. At the end of the day, snooker is far removed from the big bucks in football, tennis, golf etc so it's a massive chance for a lot of these guys to do something big.

Ok, the likes of Ronnie, Higgins, Trump don't need to worry about money. But a little lower down, even the likes of Mark Allen recently said he needed to play well to cover travel expenses etc, so for the likes of Mark Davis, Bingham, etc it's a potential life-changer if they can reach the semis or better.

All of that is adding up to players slugging it out every frame, making sure their safety is top notch.

For a player to play in every tournament next season including flights , hotels etc his outgoings are £32,000, that's before he earns a single penny. Her Majesty then takes away tax on earnings and you can see how some players struggle.

Up to October last Mark Allen earned £250K on the two year money list he's earned a few bob such as £80K at the World Open since then to top that up, add in his sponsors money and even after tax he's still probably making £100K per year.

And let's not forget the prize money is increasing again next season.

Forgot to say this but fair play to the BBC yesterday.

Their main game was Trump v Dale but when they saw how a) that match was crap and b) Poom was great craic, they made the switch to show Poom live. That was a great decision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Walking the wrong way, knocking over water and waving balls into pockets, meet the Thai maverick lighting up the Crucible

Great headline there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

C'mon Dominic Dale, would love to see him beat Judd!
    Fancy Ding to win it outright though.....flying under the radar coming into the tournament may be to his advantage. Good 59 from Dom there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Can't wait to see Ronnie v Carter. Carter has the tools to beat him, once he doesn't slip behind and stays positive, which sometimes comes hard for him

Great break from Dom, Judd looking good here in the 11th though.
    Can't wait to see Ronnie v Carter. Carter has the tools to beat him, once he doesn't slip behind and stays positive, which sometimes comes hard for him

I've got tickets for the final session of their match on Monday, really looking forward to it.

Great break from Dom, Judd looking good here in the 11th though.

I've got tickets for the final session of their match on Monday, really looking forward to it.

Shall see you there :)

What an effort from Dominic here. McManus on a real comeback next-door.

Shall see you there :)

Sure will.

What an effort from Dominic here. McManus on a real comeback next-door.

Sure will.

Looks like 8-5 Ding, McManus will make a fight of it though.

Trump 9-5 and in the balls , could be over real soon.

Desperate coverage from the BBC. No excuses for not showing all possible sessions live.

I'm watching it online via the BBC website.

Anybody else having trouble with the feed ?

It's going all funny and not showing it properly.

Trump wins 10-5 and without having to play exceptionally well, apart from the 142 break he looked pretty ordinary and to be honest a better performance from Dale may have seen him through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Desperate coverage from the BBC. No excuses for not showing all possible sessions live.

I'm watching it online via the BBC website.

Anybody else having trouble with the feed ?

It's going all funny and not showing it properly.

Do you mean that we should have the option of both tables on the red button? I believe one table is constantly running on the red button. The normal BBC coverage is the same as every other year although they are not showing an hour at 7pm like they used to. But on the plus side they are showing two hours at 10am in the morning which they haven't been over the last few years.

Glenman wrote: »
    Do you mean that we should have the option of both tables on the red button? I believe one table is constantly running on the red button. The normal BBC coverage is the same as every other year although they are not showing an hour at 7pm like they used to. But on the plus side they are showing two hours at 10am in the morning which they haven't been over the last few years.

No.

I'm watching it on their website and you can choose either table but the feed is poor. It is breaking up and not showing it correctly.

It was fine on sat, sun, and mon but has started playing up tue and today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

a few shocks so far allen and higging going. can't wait for ronnie against carter in R2

Disasterous frame for McManus, he was well in control and then surprisingly missed escaping from a snooker five times, Angles may have missed his chance now.
    9-5 Ding

Ding wins 10-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Ding wins 10-5

Lovely,have him at 12/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Stevens making a come back? Obviously can't see Fu losing but atleast they're making a decent game of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Catching up on the afternoons action, Dominic Dale looks like a bond villain, don't you think?

And does anyone else NOT like the blue carpet? correct me if Im wrong but I thought the carpet was always red.

SarahBM wrote: »
    Catching up on the afternoons action, Dominic Dale looks like a bond villain, don't you think?

And does anyone else NOT like the blue carpet? correct me if Im wrong but I thought the carpet was always red.

I actually just noticed it about 5 minutes ago, not sure why but I think I'd prefer the red too

Stevens back to 7-9 now with Fu stumbling a bit

I actually just noticed it about 5 minutes ago, not sure why but I think I'd prefer the red too

Stevens back to 7-9 now with Fu stumbling a bit

Hmmm is the snooker so bad we're looking at the carpet or has it been so good we've only noticed it now. !!!!

Carpet colour is mainly down to the sponsors colours, Betfair are yellow and black so perhaps the red wouldn't have looked too good.
    I always liked the Embassy colours of reds and pinks, and as for the all blue monstrosity they had a few years back well the less said the better.

Is Fu developing clinchers disease ???
    9-7 and that winning frame is proving very elusive

Missed Fu winning the last frame of the match because damn BBC2 stopped coverage "switch to the red button now"!!!
    my god! they couldnt have just hung on for like 30-40 mins like!!! ridiculous!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bingham thrashes Baird in the first session, totally expected really. Baird never really got going and I've yet to see Baird play solidly in any match of his career.

Bingham thrashes Baird in the first session, totally expected really. Baird never really got going and I've yet to see Baird play solidly in any match of his career.

He was impressive in qualifying for this - Rory McLeod is useless on tv matches but in qualifiers he's a demon, Baird beat him then walloped Joe Perry 10-3.

But you are quite right - it's one thing playing well in qualifying with 1 man and a dog watching his early win against Chen Zhe and quite another in performing in a BBC tournament at the Crucible.

To be fair, this might sound stupid, but the turning point was at 2-0. Baird had a simple task to mop up the colours to trail 2-1. Failed and lost on the black. If he could have got an early frame on the board he may have settled into the match. Must be so nerve-wracking to begin with and even worse when you are 6-0 down and the crowd thinking "he's useless!".

He's still young enough (24) so he has time on his side. Longer term i can see him making a journeyman type career in the top 64 but can't see a big breakthrough for him.

Bingham should polish this off quickly, 10-1 or 10-2. Which is great because the match on the other table will get the full audience and that is Jack Poomjaeng v Michael White and i think i speak for the forum and the world in saying that's all we want to watch anyway :pac:

Got to disagree a bit with you there, Sam Baird is a decent enough player, he's had some good results lately too, even qualifying for the worlds he beat some tough players as wonderfullife mentioned and he had the highest break in qualifying which was a 142 against Perry.

He may have made a name for himself a lot earlier had he not missed a blue off the spot to beat Selby 4-2 in last years Welsh.
    He lost his tour card then won it back by way of Q School, and then goes onto reach The Cruicble the following season.

Not a bad effort really.

Bingham on the other hand has been there and done it and is enjoying the fruits of many years as an amateur on the pro am circuit then the pro tour. Believe me Bingham wasn't so hot the first few years of his pro career.

Anyway back to the action today and its a 1pm start today and amongst others it's Murphy & Dott beginning their second round match along with Michael White and the man of the moment Dechawat Poomjaeng beginning theirs.

Catching a flight over today for the final 12 days of the tournament so I may not be around here much.

Enjoy the rest of the championship guys :)

Robertson is gone :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was hoping he would get to the final. Poor auld Poom is 4-1 down to White at the mo :(

and of course BBC arent showing the evening session so Eurosport online it has to be.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got to disagree a bit with you there, Sam Baird is a decent enough player, he's had some good results lately too, even qualifying for the worlds he beat some tough players as wonderfullife mentioned and he had the highest break in qualifying which was a 142 against Perry.

He may have made a name for himself a lot earlier had he not missed a blue off the spot to beat Selby 4-2 in last years Welsh.
    He lost his tour card then won it back by way of Q School, and then goes onto reach The Cruicble the following season.

Not a bad effort really.

Bingham on the other hand has been there and done it and is enjoying the fruits of many years as an amateur on the pro am circuit then the pro tour. Believe me Bingham wasn't so hot the first few years of his pro career.

Anyway back to the action today and its a 1pm start today and amongst others it's Murphy & Dott beginning their second round match along with Michael White and the man of the moment Dechawat Poomjaeng beginning theirs.

Catching a flight over today for the final 12 days of the tournament so I may not be around here much.

Enjoy the rest of the championship guys :)

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh on that but his consistency is very poor if you want to take him as a top player. As said before he's still young but he'll need to drastically improve his game if he ever wants his name on a trophy.

Also yeah, Robertson... what to say about that. He gave away so many chances and Milkins wrapped them up, fair play to him.

Despite Poomjaeng 6-1 down now, he seems to be really enjoying himself out there. It's best of 25 frames now so anything can happen.

Oh, and enjoy zack01!

• Advertisement

poor Michella is having a bad night. She forgot to spot the blue at the start of this last frame, then she picked up the white ball off the table.

Poom is a bit too much of a messer for her liking me thinks.

despite him being 6-1 down, Im still shouting for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

First time seeing Poom and being honest don't find him funny. He is concentrating more on getting claps from the crowd than concentrating on winning frames. Very unprofessional and can put off the referee and opponent. He is playing in the biggest game of his career and he is having a laugh. White is coping well but i am not sure all players would be happy with the way he is acting. If he want's to entertain the crowd he should do it on the table.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    First time seeing Poom and being honest don't find him funny. He is concentrating more on getting claps from the crowd than concentrating on winning frames. Very unprofessional and can put off the referee and opponent. He is playing in the biggest game of his career and he is having a laugh. White is coping well but i am not sure all players would be happy with the way he is acting. If he want's to entertain the crowd he should do it on the table.

Oh come on, he is having the biggest game of his career and he his trying to enjoy every moment of it! He is obviously a person who doesnt take him self too seriously. I mean, I understand that its a serious tournament and all that, but really its about time someone with a bit of character lightened things up a bit. I dont expect him to beat White, but I dont think he expects to win either now being six frames down, and thats why he is having the craic. give the man a break.
    :rolleyes:

If I were out there for the first time I'd certainly be trying to enjoy myself and lap up the attention.

Happy Gilmore of snooker :P

• Advertisement

I asked a few of the Irish lads who were on the tour a few years back about Poomjaeng and they said he's as mad as a brush all the time so it's not an act, it's just his natural personality.

Ok he may have a screw loose somewhere but don't we all :) I, for one, applaud him. With all due respect, other than Poom our "comedian" in snooker is the "Jester from Leicester" Mark Selby and whilst he is a nice guy he's about as funny as Herpes.

So yes i'm loving the Poom and as long as he doesn't put off an opponent on the shot what harm is there? The likes of Ebdon make cynical attempts to put opponents off, that's definitely not the case here.

Anyway, i don't think Michael White will be too bothered with a 7-1 lead.

Poom comeback tomorrow afternoon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Hello all, haven't been posting much lately but I've been following all the action closely :)

It's been an unusual tournament so far, to say the least. The number of century breaks in the first round is well down on the average over the last few years, and this being the same year where two players (Trump and Ding) are on track to break the record for most centuries in a single season. The seeds have been truly scattered so far with a few shocks for me, notably Robertson yesterday who I expected to go very far indeed in the tournament. To further emphasise the peculiarity of the year, I just saw this fact posted by the Pro Snooker Blog on their twitter account:
    If Graeme Dott loses today, it will be the first time a Scot hasn't made it to the quarters since 1988.
    Well I guess we should stop being surprised when the seeds are knocked out early - under the new regime the match-fit journeymen are clearly benefitting from the abundance of extra tournaments, and I expect next season we'll see an even more diverse lineup with the new qualifying structure being introduced.

Anyway enjoy the day's snooker :) Will enjoy following the chat here over the following week or so.

Setun wrote: »
    Hello all, haven't been posting much lately but I've been following all the action closely :)

It's been an unusual tournament so far, to say the least. The number of century breaks in the first round is well down on the average over the last few years, and this being the same year where two players (Trump and Ding) are on track to break the record for most centuries in a single season. The seeds have been truly scattered so far with a few shocks for me, notably Robertson yesterday who I expected to go very far indeed in the tournament. To further emphasise the peculiarity of the year, I just saw this fact posted by the Pro Snooker Blog on their twitter account:

Well I guess we should stop being surprised when the seeds are knocked out early - under the new regime the match-fit journeymen are clearly benefitting from the abundance of extra tournaments, and I expect next season we'll see an even more diverse lineup with the new qualifying structure being introduced.

Anyway enjoy the day's snooker :) Will enjoy following the chat here over the following week or so.

The new set up is benefitting the game really. The old way it was hard for players to break through especially young players. Now players are getting more sharper and getting on tv which obviously help them.

I asked a few of the Irish lads who were on the tour a few years back about Poomjaeng and they said he's as mad as a brush all the time so it's not an act, it's just his natural personality.

Ok he may have a screw loose somewhere but don't we all :) I, for one, applaud him. With all due respect, other than Poom our "comedian" in snooker is the "Jester from Leicester" Mark Selby and whilst he is a nice guy he's about as funny as Herpes.

So yes i'm loving the Poom and as long as he doesn't put off an opponent on the shot what harm is there? The likes of Ebdon make cynical attempts to put opponents off, that's definitely not the case here.

Anyway, i don't think Michael White will be too bothered with a 7-1 lead.

Poom comeback tomorrow afternoon :)

That's fair enough i just thought he seemed to be looking for attention. First time i seen him play.

Dott loses 13-11, very entertaining game.

Dott loses 13-11, very entertaining game.

Absolutely, decent quality throughout as well, really enjoyed that.

I know I've criticised Shaun Murphy before here, but something is making me warm to him here. He could go all the way.
    That's fair enough i just thought he seemed to be looking for attention. First time i seen him play.

He's definitely a sincere guy, top entertainment value. I took to him before he even hit a ball, his entrance to his first round mach was hilarious.

I really hope to see him reach the TV stages of tournaments again soon. G'wan Jack!

Good interview here after the Maguire match:

Remembering MR POOMTASTIC!!

Big frame there in the Trump vs Fu match. Marco Missed a sitter on the yellow, Judd pots it, then misses the green with the rest, leaves it near the hole for Marco and he misses again.

Could have only been two behind, but back to four behind, 8-4.

Also, an absolutely marvelous piece with Steve Davis about Joe Davis there. A real sporting legend.

Big frame there in the Trump vs Fu match. Marco Missed a sitter on the yellow, Judd pots it, then misses the green with the rest, leaves it near the hole for Marco and he misses again.

Could have only been two behind, but back to four behind, 8-4.

Also, an absolutely marvelous piece with Steve Davis about Joe Davis there. A real sporting legend.

I was delighted to hear he got the 147 he had been after for so long.

Strange last frame but entertaining all the same

Selby 10 - 13 Hawkins

Delighted for Hawkins. Great game

• Advertisement
Advertisement