Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options
  • 15-04-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

The ballot for the london marathon 2014 is opening soon, what is the best way to apply if you are living in the republic of Ireland. Does it make any difference if you have an Irish address? Are you considered an oversee's entrant? Are you better off to apply under a relatives address that is living in the UK or up north?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

interested in this too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

see the 2013 thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056616584
    much better to apply through the UK ballot

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

whens the ballot expected to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cabaal wrote: »
    whens the ballot expected to open?

29th April i've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Entries for the 2014 Virgin London Marathon will open online at www.virginlondonmarathonballot.com on Monday 29th April 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

when you click on the link above it comes up as not found.

It will only work on 29th April...details are on the FAQ section of the website http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/virgin-london-marathon-information/frequently-asked-questions/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have read the 2013 thread and I can’t seem to find a specific answer to my question

I am hoping to get a ‘good for age’ time for London in Cork City Marathon in June and use a relatives address in London. For women in 2013 the GFA time is 3:15-3:50, does it tend to be the same time every year or could it go down for 2014? Also, with the spread of 3:15-3:50, if you get a time of 3:50 or faster, are you guaranteed an entry or could it depend on the demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    I have read the 2013 thread and I can’t seem to find a specific answer to my question

I am hoping to get a ‘good for age’ time for London in Cork City Marathon in June and use a relatives address in London. For women in 2013 the GFA time is 3:15-3:50, does it tend to be the same time every year or could it go down for 2014? Also, with the spread of 3:15-3:50, if you get a time of 3:50 or faster, are you guaranteed an entry or could it depend on the demand?

If you go under 3:50 you are guaranteed an entry with a UK address afaik. I doubt the qualifying time will change. The process for 2014 will open up after this year's race.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you go under 3:50 you are guaranteed an entry with a UK address afaik. I doubt the qualifying time will change. The process for 2014 will open up after this year's race.
    Thanks Meno, a bit of extra motivation for Cork there!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The times are very, very unlikely to change and especially not for the womens times as they are always trying to get more faster women running. You will need to get your time submitted pronto, and then they will send out an acceptance slip which you need to sign and post back with a cheque drawn on a UK bank or postal order, there is only a couple of weeks to turn this around so you need to make sure you have an efficient UK address working for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

robinph wrote: »
    The times are very, very unlikely to change and especially not for the womens times as they are always trying to get more faster women running. You will need to get your time submitted pronto, and then they will send out an acceptance slip which you need to sign and post back with a cheque drawn on a UK bank or postal order, there is only a couple of weeks to turn this around so you need to make sure you have an efficient UK address working for you.

Could Parcel Motel work for this?
    Technically it would suit but perhaps several hundred people living at the one address might set off the alarms?

That leads on to my next question, just taking the dates for this year it says GFA entries need to be in before 13th July 2012 and the completed form needs to be in before 27th July,

But lets say my time in Cork is good enough and I send my entry in straight away in June, am I likely to get my form back before 13th July? Or do they only start sending out the forms once the closing date has passed, that would leave it very tight if that was the case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The forms only get sent out after the deadline for submitting them.

They assign the race numbers at that point and it is probably them trying to mix up the order of numbers a bit so that it eases congestion slightly at the finish with the bag collection.

Thanks Robin. That is a very tight turnaround, I will have to make sure I chose someone reliable to do the posting for me!

I think I am going to try and enter the UK ballot next week as well as aim for a GFA time. How does the ballot entry actually work, do you put your details on the website with your UK address and then if you’re successful they send you an entry form and you enter/pay then?

What is the time scale for this? The UK relative I am using is away on hols for the first two weeks of May, so wonder how long it takes for them to send out the forms, how long you have to return them etc.

Is it worth entering the International ballot too? I could use my maiden name for one and married name for the other. What are the odds of each ballot?

If you have a GFA already time then use that. The times and dates on this page have not yet been updated, but assume they are going to be the same. So any qualifying marathon time from 2012 or 2013 will do, but you need to submit the proof by about the first week of July:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

Not an issue for most people here, but if you happen to have got a time in a marathon in the UK that was not a UKA affiliated race then that will not count, there are quite a number of races now that are ARC registered instead so UK races linked with them will be ignored for times. International marathons will count, it's just if you have done a small marathon in the middle of nowhere in the UK it is likely to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just a quick question. If you have run sub 2:45 does this mean that you're guaranteed entry and you dont have to go via a ballot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

tunguska wrote: »
    Just a quick question. If you have run sub 2:45 does this mean that you're guaranteed entry and you dont have to go via a ballot?

Sub 3.10 will get you a GFA entry. Guaranteed and will set you back about 35 euro. The sub 2.45 is for UK championships, need to be affiliated with a UK club.

I'll fill you in regards GFA entry next time I see you, it's straight forward enough!

TRR wrote: »
    Sub 3.10 will get you a GFA entry. Guaranteed and will set you back about 35 euro. The sub 2.45 is for UK championships, need to be affiliated with a UK club.

I'll fill you in regards GFA entry next time I see you, it's straight forward enough!

Cool thanks. Just covering all bases in case I dont make dublin this year. Wouldn't mind entering the UK championships though.

Cool thanks. Just covering all bases in case I dont make dublin this year. Wouldn't mind entering the UK championships though.

Either way you'll have to confirm your entry to London 2014 by July 2013 at the latest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

There's no chance of me getting in with either a half marathon time or a qualifying time in Chicago in October, is there? Presuming there isn't but just checking. Most recent fast marathon was Berlin 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

TRR wrote: »

So just to clarify, even with gfa of 3.09 I'll still need a uk address?

Either way you'll have to confirm your entry to London 2014 by July 2013 at the latest...

Really? I was just looking at the website and from what I can make out it said I had until jan 2014. Is that wrong?

Really? I was just looking at the website and from what I can make out it said I had until jan 2014. Is that wrong?

Only if you have a sub 2:45 and are a member of a UKA club, note that is not every UK club.

Peckham wrote: »
    There's no chance of me getting in with either a half marathon time or a qualifying time in Chicago in October, is there? Presuming there isn't but just checking. Most recent fast marathon was Berlin 2010.

As above again, only if you do a sub 2:45. If slower than that then the deadline is July this year.

Only if you have a sub 2:45 and are a member of a UKA club, note that is not every UK club.

I have a sub 2:45 so if I get affiliated with a UK club then I have until jan 2013 and I can compete in the UK marathon championships, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

As above again, only if you do a sub 2:45. If slower than that then the deadline is July this year.

Mrs P will be pleased to hear that! Transatlantic marathon trips are an easier sell than one to London ;-)

Gavlor wrote: »
    So just to clarify, even with gfa of 3.09 I'll still need a uk address?

Yes, GFA only applies to UK residents.
    As long as you know someone living in UK and don't mind your nationality being listed as GBR in the results then there are ways around it.

Tunguska: I would recommend you use your time from Dublin last year to do the above- it will only cost you £28 which will be cheaper than membership of a club surely?
    In the GFA pen you'll be right at the front of your start Zone so no real disadvantage to club runners

Tunguska: I would recommend you use your time from Dublin last year to do the above- it will only cost you £28 which will be cheaper than membership of a club surely?
    In the GFA pen you'll be right at the front of your start Zone so no real disadvantage to club runners

Sounds good to me, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yes, GFA only applies to UK residents.
    As long as you know someone living in UK and don't mind your nationality being listed as GBR in the results then there are ways around it.

Is it possible to supply a UK address but still declare your Nationality as Irish?
    (Sorry for asking you such sensitive questions Meno:D)

I saw in the online article from the Times (I think?) with Marthastew that officially there was only about 50 Irish that ran the marathon (because so many had gone through the UK address route presumably).

Advertisement