Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

TRR wrote: »
    How many of our ;) fellow Westbury harriers are competing in London? Any idea how many championship yet?

There should be quite a few of us in the red fast GFA area again, there was 6 of us in that start last year and I would expect the same again. There will be another few veterans and women in the green GFA start behind the celebs. We should have 3 or 4 women and 3 men qualified for the Championship start.

There will then be a few more in the general ballot entry, and then we usually get another 6 places given to the club from VLM.

Edit: + my brother is running as well from the fast GFA start and I'll be paying out prizes if anyone can trip him up or otherwise block his way to make sure that I win the family smackdown. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Got my rejection letter & jacket in the post today to my (ahem) London address. Just as well my alias has a GFA entry sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'm in on the ballot. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

No joy for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Just found out I got a place with also my (;)) London address. I am injured at the moment, but will register for it anyway. Anyone know if it's a problem if I pay with my Irish visa debit and Irish billing address on line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

RedRunner wrote: »
    I'm in on the ballot. Delighted!

Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

sassyj wrote: »
    Just found out I got a place with also my (;)) London address. I am injured at the moment, but will register for it anyway. Anyone know if it's a problem if I pay with my Irish visa debit and Irish billing address on line?

Congrats :) I paid using my (Irish) card and address, without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Has anyone got the mag to a norn iron address yet, still haven't got mine!! Even though I got the gfa email confirmation in the summer I'll feel happier seeing it in print in the magazine. Is there an online version anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Confirmed from my address up north *ahem* that I'm not in, so Donadee 50k and Conn Ultra it will be for me next April so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

neilc wrote: »
    Has anyone got the mag to a norn iron address yet, still haven't got mine!! Even though I got the gfa email confirmation in the summer I'll feel happier seeing it in print in the magazine. Is there an online version anywhere?

I'm also still waiting on my magazine. I'm a first time entrant via the ballot tho so not exactly hopeful!

But you cant win the lotto without a ticket and all that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I entered the overseas ballot and was just wondering if anyone knows how early in October they send out the emails please?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathso

Anyone who is waiting for a ballot place , your will either get a mag in the post of your in or a not successful email.
    As for GFA entries , on the email I have , I am not expecting anything from them until March 2014
    They have taken my money so I must be in !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mathso wrote: »
    Anyone who is waiting for a ballot place , your will either get a mag in the post of your in or a not successful email.
    As for GFA entries , on the email I have , I am not expecting anything from them until March 2014

If you got a payment link with GFA then you're in...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Can't believe I'm in! Though as I'm 5 months pregnant now and probably only starting back into proper training at the end of March I feel a deferral coming on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

mathso wrote: »

I'm waiting on the overseas ballot also - when I tried the ballot website it says "We're sorry, but we can't find the details you entered as being successful in the ballot" - not sure if that is for the overseas ballot but not holding out much hope :(. Looks like Barcelona for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Still heard nothing so taking it i will receive the not successful email over the weekend or on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Got my pfo e-mail this morning: "
    We regret that we have to advise you that your application to run in the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon has not been successful due to massive over-subscription"
    Now to brush up on my spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Entered under GFA back in July and paid the entry fee. Haven't received any confirmation magazine to my NI address - should I have got something in the last couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Got a you're not in email this morning. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Q7 wrote: »
    Entered under GFA back in July and paid the entry fee. Haven't received any confirmation magazine to my NI address - should I have got something in the last couple of weeks?

Yeah I got a Successful Magazine for my GFA application at the same time I got an 'unsuccessful' Magazine for my Ballot application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Mine arrived in NI last Monday. That seemed to be a few days after the mags arrived in England. Will probably still show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Mine arrived on merseyside last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Guys any hotel recommendations or general area of London you would recommend to stay in? Thinking should get this booked sooner rather than later...

Runchick wrote: »
    Guys any hotel recommendations or general area of London you would recommend to stay in? Thinking should get this booked sooner rather than later...

Best place to stay is the Strand Palace.
    About 5 minutes walk from the finish line. Right beside the train station to get to the start, cheap, nice, and most importantly: Straight across the road from the Coal Hole :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best place to stay is the Strand Palace.
    About 5 minutes walk from the finish line. Right beside the train station to get to the start, cheap, nice, and most importantly: Straight across the road from the Coal Hole :)

How much have you to pay now?

Are people booking flights yet or will prices be alright for a while?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    How much have you to pay now?

Are people booking flights yet or will prices be alright for a while?

I got it for about €100 a night on hotels.com. lots of the boards crew stayed there last year (scene of the late night blurry beers in my beer report ;)).

I am holding out for flights on Cityjet- next years schedule hasn't come out yet. They fly into the city airport beside the expo (in the excel). I am planning to go over on the saturday morning so want as little travel as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

thanks for the tip meno and thanks for asking the question RC . Had been trying to research whwre might be best to stay etc... booked into strand now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks strand palace it is. Flights already booked in and out of Gatwick, hopefully not too much bother getting to the expo from there. Can't bloody wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

I got my congratulations email yesterday as well! First time entering the London ballot so delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Got a PFO email, entered on a whim but as time went on was really hoping that this would be my return to running.

I'm only discovering this thread now, there seem to be a few tips & tricks that the old codgers use to 'assist' entry. That and running fast I suppose! [bookmarks for 2015]

Good luck to everyone travelling over, have fun.

Advertisement