Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Does anyone know my best route into running in 2014? The London marathon is on my list of things to do before I kick the bucket. I know charity is an option but I was even rejected for that a couple of years ago..

Would running clubs have places if I joined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Does anyone know my best route into running in 2014? The London marathon is on my list of things to do before I kick the bucket. I know charity is an option but I was even rejected for that a couple of years ago..

UK Clubs can get you championship places however you have to be runner quicker than 2.45 previously

Considering the ballot has been closed a good while also I think the only two options are charity entry or this
    http://www.sportstravelinternational.com/STI/London_Marathon.html (Not sure if they are sold out mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I know charity is an option but I was even rejected for that a couple of years ago..

I saw an ad this week for places in London through the charity Croi, might be worth contacting them, if you really want to do London.

http://www.croi.ie/events/virgin-london-marathon

RubyK wrote: »
    I saw an ad this week for places in London through the charity Croi, might be worth contacting them, if you really want to do London.

http://www.croi.ie/events/virgin-london-marathon

I've sent them a mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

There's also GFA (Good for age entries)

http://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

Too late for 2014 but maybe 2015!!

You need a UK address for this though!! - easy enough to arrange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Hi

I booked accommodation for the strand palace http://www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk/ I booked a single room for Saturday and Sunday night but the Mrs now wants to come along so have to change my arrangements. I had to pay up front and there is no option to move to a double room or get a refund. Therefore I'm looking to sell my hotel voucher. If interested PM me and I'll send on further details.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Applied to run for diabetes myself as i am one. Got told i will know this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

TRR wrote: »
    Hi

I booked accommodation for the strand palace http://www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk/ I booked a single room for Saturday and Sunday night but the Mrs now wants to come along so have to change my arrangements. I had to pay up front and there is no option to move to a double room or get a refund. Therefore I'm looking to sell my hotel voucher. If interested PM me and I'll send on further details.

Cheers

Tell her she ain't going.

RAFA B wrote: »
    Applied to run for diabetes myself as i am one. Got told i will know this week.

Did you have to detail how you intend on raising the funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Did you have to detail how you intend on raising the funds?

Yes had to detail how i intended on raising the money. Not sure if i went into enough detail. Tried to keep it simple and to the point.

• Advertisement

Tell her she ain't going.

I value my nuts and her company!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi

Cheers

Have you deffo read the small print?
    I just read mine and it says:
    Cancellation policy A cancellation is free of charge if done by Apr 11th, 2014 02:00 PM (hotel local time). Penalty Charge for late cancellation is 1 night

Kind of surpirsed they would be so inflexible especially as they are still advertising all kinds of rooms on Hotels.com etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Thank you for your email Mr Hugh Brasher :D
    Congratulations on getting into the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon. In just over six months time, you will be standing at the start line ready to take part in the world’s most famous road running event.

:cool:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Have you deffo read the small print?
    I just read mine and it says:

Kind of surpirsed they would be so inflexible especially as they are still advertising all kinds of rooms on Hotels.com etc...

Yeah defo no refund etc. I booked through agoda not directly with hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah defo no refund etc. I booked through agoda not directly with hotel.

Bummer. I wonder if you rang the hotel directly, might they look after you?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

I entered the overseas ballot and then promptly gave up running a couple of months later full sure I would never do another race again. Cue Sept as I prayed I would not get picked when I checked the payment page but low and behold the "Enter your payment details" page was displayed. Cue a litany of curses and head in hands moment - no frigging way, sure I never get picked for anything, wtf :eek::eek:

Anyway today I paid for the entry and booked the hotel. Runners have been dusted off as I learn to run again. It's London and the only marathon I ever really dreamed of doing. No way I can give that up so 6 months of fun ahead :rolleyes:. Roll on April 13th :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I entered the overseas ballot and then promptly gave up running a couple of months later full sure I would never do another race again. Cue Sept as I prayed I would not get picked when I checked the payment page but low and behold the "Enter your payment details" page was displayed. Cue a litany of curses and head in hands moment - no frigging way, sure I never get picked for anything, wtf :eek::eek:

Anyway today I paid for the entry and booked the hotel. Runners have been dusted off as I learn to run again. It's London and the only marathon I ever really dreamed of doing. No way I can give that up so 6 months of fun ahead :rolleyes:. Roll on April 13th :pac:

Good to see you out there this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's brilliant banner!! Delighted to hear you are in :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

UK running clubs that are UKAthletics affiliated do usually get a small number of places given to them by London Marathon, you still have to pay the entry fee.

Not all running clubs are going to affiliated to UKA as there is a breakaway affiliation called ARC as well and I'm fairly sure they don't get given any places.
    The clubs may only get a couple of places as it depends on the membership numbers.
    The club will often run their own ballot amongst the members and you'll only get into the ballot by being a paid up member and having your rejection slip from that years London Marathon.

So ... yes, clubs do have entries, but no, you'll be exceedingly unlikely to get one of their places for 2014.

The only options still open for getting a place for 2014 right now are:
    Become and elite athlete.
    Already have a sub 2:45 time and sign up to a UK club.
    Charity entry, but no idea when or how they would decide who gets a place.
    Make a show of yourself on Big Brother or other reality TV show.

robinph wrote: »
    UK running clubs that are UKAthletics affiliated do usually get a small number of places given to them by London Marathon, you still have to pay the entry fee.

Not all running clubs are going to affiliated to UKA as there is a breakaway affiliation called ARC as well and I'm fairly sure they don't get given any places.
    The clubs may only get a couple of places as it depends on the membership numbers.
    The club will often run their own ballot amongst the members and you'll only get into the ballot by being a paid up member and having your rejection slip from that years London Marathon.

So ... yes, clubs do have entries, but no, you'll be exceedingly unlikely to get one of their places for 2014.

The only options still open for getting a place for 2014 right now are:
    Become and elite athlete.
    Already have a sub 2:45 time and sign up to a UK club.
    Charity entry, but no idea when or how they would decide who gets a place.
    Make a show of yourself on Big Brother or other reality TV show.

I used to run for a UK club 2 years ago but was new so ineligible for a spot. I might join another one and at least I'll be in the company of people who might have spots going even if it's a long shot. Shame it's no hard to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Smashing stuff.... :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Balls, does that mean I've to do it now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Here we go again :rolleyes:

I never claimed to be interested in doing it. :P Entered to give myself the option, 10 months is a long time so when entries go in you've no idea whether you'll be up for it or not by the time April rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

I never claimed to be interested in doing it. :P Entered to give myself the option, 10 months is a long time so when entries go in you've no idea whether you'll be up for it or not by the time April rolls around.

Id love to be running it, is it worth going through Sports Travel or should I just wait for a GFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have no sympathies for you! :mad:
    Me and bitter? Nah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Bummer. I wonder if you rang the hotel directly, might they look after you?

Especially when they hear you've run London 42 times, Berlin 21 times and Boston 52 times..... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Yes :p
    Whatever....you will still be running it (and waiting in the bar with my pint afterwards!)
    I have no sympathies for you! :mad:
    Me and bitter? Nah! :D

Don't worry I've no sympathy for myself either, my own frigging fault for putting the name in the hat in the first place :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

If you were to book a place through Sports International Travel for this, would you not get a place?

• Advertisement

PDCAT wrote: »
    If you were to book a place through Sports International Travel for this, would you not get a place?

I'm UK based but have sent them a message anyway.

Advertisement