Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Especially when they hear you've run London 42 times, Berlin 21 times and Boston 52 times..... :D;)

ha ha. When I read that the first time I thought you were taking the piss out of meno :p

After your comments don't be expecting to receive any of my mid winter visits where we sit around the fire and you get the pleasure to listen to herculan stories about me and my exploits in major marathons. I'll reconsider when I receive a written apology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Have a missed call and a voicemail from my charity on my mobile. Won't get to it until after work. I am expecting it's bad news as i couldn't see them mailing me to say no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RAFA B wrote: »
    Have a missed call and a voicemail from my charity on my mobile. Won't get to it until after work. I am expecting it's bad news as i couldn't see them mailing me to say no.

I'm surprised they need to approve you. When I was looking at it a couple of years ago all I had to do was agree to raise a couple of grand and that was it.

I'm surprised they need to approve you. When I was looking at it a couple of years ago all I had to do was agree to raise a couple of grand and that was it.

Had to submit an application form detailing how i would raise the money etc and why i wanted to run for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Had to submit an application form detailing how i would raise the money etc and why i wanted to run for them.

I had to do the same and got rejected. I think they're trying to avoid people like me who would raise a little bit from family and friends and pay the rest myself. They want someone who will promote their charity (specific fund raising nights, etc). I think.

• Advertisement

I had to do the same and got rejected. I think they're trying to avoid people like me who would raise a little bit from family and friends and pay the rest myself. They want someone who will promote their charity (specific fund raising nights, etc). I think.

Yeah that's what they are looking at. I put them down a few ideas but have a feeling it's a no hence they have phoned me yet all other dealings have been by mail. Will find out once i finish work eitherway.

Yeah that's what they are looking at. I put them down a few ideas but have a feeling it's a no hence they have phoned me yet all other dealings have been by mail. Will find out once i finish work eitherway.

I think you have it man. Surely an email would suffice if it's a no? Let us know anyway. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Was successful in ballot.Trying to pay but couldnt remember my password. Put my email to get them send out new password but get message saying they don't have a record of my details? It's definitely the right email address as I'm getting the email updates and got Congrats email from them the other day.

Will ring them on Monday but just wondering if others have had this issue?

RedRunner wrote: »
    Was successful in ballot.Trying to pay but couldnt remember my password. Put my email to get them send out new password but get message saying they don't have a record of my details? It's definitely the right email address as I'm getting the email updates and got Congrats email from them the other day.

Green with envy. Congrats man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

RedRunner wrote: »

Rang VMLM this morning and they say this is happening because I've already paid! I was using the correct password after all. i'm puzzled why they have the item in the magazine at all to ensure you have paid by November 8 if ballot entries would have been paid by default? Or maybe its only the ones who opted to give the entry fee to charity if unsuccessful who are then automatically paid?

Anyway just thought I'd post here in case anyone else had same issue.Now just to enjoy DCM first before the countdown for London starts:)

• Advertisement

I think you have it man. Surely an email would suffice if it's a no? Let us know anyway. Good luck!

Thanks yes got a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looking forward to this. Without reading back over 9 pages can anyone recommend a good place to stay? Last time i stayed in a place beside the Expo and it was not the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Looking forward to this. Without reading back over 9 pages can anyone recommend a good place to stay? Last time i stayed in a place beside the Expo and it was not the best.

Most seem to recommend The Strand Palace Hotel. I think a few stayed here last year and it is convenient to the tube to the start, the finish & the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

The Strand Palace, just down the road from Charing Cross station, which you need to take race morning to take you to the start-line. Plus its a short hobble from the finishline.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

All you pesky Irish people have gone and booked up The Strand Palace already, it's showing as no rooms available to me now. I might just have to change the pub venue to somewhere different and nearer whatever hotel I eventually manage to book. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Whats this course like? Hoping to do it in 2015 as im only getting into running at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

robinph wrote: »
    All you pesky Irish people have gone and booked up The Strand Palace already, it's showing as no rooms available to me now. I might just have to change the pub venue to somewhere different and nearer whatever hotel I eventually manage to book. ;)

There are still rooms available through booking.com
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/strandpalace.en.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

menoscemo wrote: »
    There are still rooms available through booking.com
    http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/strandpalace.en.html

Single rooms only. :(

Single rooms only. :(

Pictures show a sofa and a bath :P

We are both running this year so someoneI will be very unhappy on the sofa. :D

• Advertisement

Wow over 400 yoyos for a box for 3 nights...

Wow over 400 yoyos for a box for 3 nights...

Still good value relative to other hotels....prices are generally mad in London...

I settled for a holiday inn near Heathrow. They are running a bus to the start on the morning. Worked out at £125 for the two nights including breakfast.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Still good value relative to other hotels....prices are generally mad in London...

I got pretty much the same thing with double bed and kitchette for under 300 euro for this year. There is much better value than that in London!

I got pretty much the same thing with double bed and kitchette for under 300 euro for this year. There is much better value than that in London!

I paid €300 for the Strand Palace myself but a good few months ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Robin, check www.trivago.co.uk as there are probably some double rooms distributed to booking sites and they will do the comparison.

I got a double there for around €300 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I got a family room (1 double and 2 singles) in the Premier Inn (near the Tate, kind of in between start and finish) for 3 nights for £450 inc breakfast.

Some more rooms have now got released directly by The Strand Palace today so I've now got me a room booked. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Room booked today as well.

The better half has finally decided she wants to go but might have to go home on the Sunday night.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Room booked today as well.

The better half has finally decided she wants to go but might have to go home on the Sunday night.

:confused:

Advertisement