Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Brian. Where are you?! You can answer this...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

He's gone home to Limerick for the weekend. Be patient :)

He's gone home to Limerick for the weekend. Be patient :)

F*ck sake. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Did he have to re-enter using the same procedure as the rest of us this year do you know?

Is there a different selection for deferrals versus normal entry?

Sorry. He got the mail like we got with the link. He still had to pay entry Agsin though. So he didn't have to go through bill etc

Sorry. He got the mail like we got with the link. He still had to pay entry Agsin though. So he didn't have to go through bill etc

Perfect. 95% chance of me deferring so. :)

• Advertisement

Perfect. 95% chance of me deferring so. :)

I don't see any benefit if you have the qualifying time in the previous 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

So the way my year next year is going to pan out with several things, I wont be realistically able to train for a marathon over much of the summer, so my plans have to change again :)

So I am wondering about London, and donating my life savings to sports travel international, or raise 2 grand for charity which would be doable, but you still get stung for the plus one, so wondering what to do? First world problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So the way my year next year is going to pan out with several things, I wont be realistically able to train for a marathon over much of the summer, so my plans have to change again :)

So I am wondering about London, and donating my life savings to sports travel international, or raise 2 grand for charity which would be doable, but you still get stung for the plus one, so wondering what to do? First world problems :)

Edinburgh or Manchester!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Edinburgh or Manchester
    No interest at all tbh - if I was thinking along those lines I would "just" do Connemara, which I have a deferred entry for anyway..

But getting harder to find time to train for marathons, so want to get one or two of the big ones done before I become old and take up golf :D

I don't see any benefit if you have the qualifying time in the previous 18 months

If you don't have to go through entry process again it'd be easier to defer surely. By entry process I mean getting dragging out links to results, your proof of address etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Looking for some advice please. London will be my first marathon. Done a few halfs before. Anyway following a hal higdon programme and according to the schedule i should do a half the first sunday in Feb. Anyone know of any around that time or does it matter if it's a week or so later? Is it crucial to run the half in a race or would i be ok to just run it myself? Thanks.

RAFA B wrote: »
    Looking for some advice please. London will be my first marathon. Done a few halfs before. Anyway following a hal higdon programme and according to the schedule i should do a half the first sunday in Feb. Anyone know of any around that time or does it matter if it's a week or so later? Is it crucial to run the half in a race or would i be ok to just run it myself? Thanks.
    The sooner you start the better. Depends on where you are from but Thr Meath half would be 5 weeks from London and ideal. I ain't familiar will Hal but I reckon the sooner you can run 18 miles comfortable Thr better. It is not crucial. Build up slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

The sooner you start the better. Depends on where you are from but Thr Meath half would be 5 weeks from London and ideal. I ain't familiar will Hal but I reckon the sooner you can run 18 miles comfortable Thr better. It is not crucial. Build up slowly.

Thanks a lot. That race sounds ideal thanks. Building up to a 10k at the moment. Following a plan from the london marathon website. When i finish that i am going straight to the hal 16 week novice one program. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Does anyone know if the Charities reduce there prices before the cut off day of 31st January for the Gold Bond entries? Still hoping to get a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Does anyone know if the Charities reduce there prices before the cut off day of 31st January for the Gold Bond entries? Still hoping to get a place.

Normally places go back to the tour operator if charity allocation isn't used up.you won't pick up a reduced entry anywhere.

Thanks, does the same apply for the UK Charities?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Stansted Airport to the London Expo and is it very busy on the Saturday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here is the details for the Stanstead Express:
    https://www.stanstedexpress.com/
    It will then take you a while to get from Liverpool Street to the Excel, Circle to Tower Hill, cross the road to the Tower Gateway and the DLR, then head to Custom House. Follow the crowds and make sure you get on the right DLR line.

The Expo will be busy on the Saturday afternoon, but it is still possible to get in and out with relative easy as long as you don't get too distracted by shiny things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Stansted Airport to the London Expo and is it very busy on the Saturday?

If it's possible and you are flying from Dublin; you can fly with citijet to London City Airport. That Airport is right beside the expo...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    If it's possible and you are flying from Dublin; you can fly with citijet to London City Airport. That Airport is right beside the expo...

I'm on CityJet flight at 0855 leaving Dublin on the Sat. Are you on that one too? It'd be good to have a tour guide to get to the Expo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RedRunner wrote: »
    I'm on CityJet flight at 0855 leaving Dublin on the Sat. Are you on that one too? It'd be good to have a tour guide to get to the Expo!

Haha, I am far from a tour guide. I have never been to London City Airport or the London Marathon expo.
    I am just going from the info here: http://www.excel-london.co.uk/visiting-excel/travel-guide/travel-by-tube/

Yes on that flight as are a good few others. Apparently the excel is quicker by foot than by tube/Rail so I am sure a few of us can get a taxi from the airport....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure where the exit from the airport is, but although there is basically nothing inbetween the airport and the Excel I don't think I'd be walking it on the day before, you want to save your legs. The excel itself is a mahoosive building and the Expo, whilst big, is in just one small corner of it and at the wrong end from the airport. There are DLR stations at either end of the Excel as an indication of it's size.

The airport and excel are on different DLR lines so using that would be more trouble than it's worth as well, a taxi should only take a couple of minutes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Flights booked. London City it is.

Anyone recommend hotels or apartments for London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

At the recommendation of others and it's proximity to everything I booked The Strand Palace hotel. Not sure what availability is like by now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'm in the strand palace too. Last time we stayed in think apartments at tower bridge. Can't recommend them highly enough.

The Strand Palace is about as perfect location wise as you can get. Just a hop-skip-jump away from Charring Cross for the train in the morning, and a slightly more laboured similar distance away from the finish a few hours later that day. But primarily you are literally falling distance away from The Coal Hole where the post marathon beers take place.

It's not the cheapest hotel in London though, but you are paying for location and I like not having far to stagger back afterwards.

Thanks for the replies, Been looking at loads of hotels but wanted to make sure they were accessible to travel on the morning of the marathon. Does the Strand Palace do an early and good breakfast for the Marathon?

Yep, you'll get a decent enough bowl of porridge, or whatever else you are looking for, early in the Strand Palace. They have international marathon tour groups staying there from France etc so the breakfast room is packed as soon as it opens with runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

45 min bus from Stansted to Stratford on national express. 2 stops westbound on the jubilee line to Canning town, then one stop to Custom House for ExCel eastbound on the DLR.

Bus is £5 if booked in advance compared to the £21 stansted express

Get yourself an oyster card in Stratford and stick at least £10 on it, trust me its just easier.

Advertisement