Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Also, another thing that doesn't seem to be too well publicised is that the Stansted Express is actually £11 rather than £21 if booked online in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

TRR wrote: »
    I'm in the strand palace too. Last time we stayed in think apartments at tower bridge. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Is it easy to get to the start area from those apartments, I like the look of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Is it easy to get to the start area from those apartments, I like the look of them.
    It was about an 800m walk to London bridge station and that way no change in train needed. Couldn't have been easier. If you do book them pop down to the Italian on the bridge the night before and say hi to the elite runners.

Cheers for that, just booked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

Cheers for that, just booked them.

Did you book direct or through another site?

• Advertisement

direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Very little activity on this thread. In previous years it has been extremely busy. I guess the fact we've decided on a pub for post race refreshments means we've feck all to discuss :) So eh how's everyones training going? I'm ticking long just hoping this fecking snow doesn't stick :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You've got snow? Not fair.
    Just rain, rain and more rain for me. :(

I am way behind where I want to be, had a rubbish cross country race at the weekend, mostly due to the weather, and have a couple of niggles that are getting annoying. Need to get some longer miles in somehow, but rapidly running out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Very little activity on this thread. In previous years it has been extremely busy. I guess the fact we've decided on a pub for post race refreshments means we've feck all to discuss :) So eh how's everyones training going? I'm ticking long just hoping this fecking snow doesn't stick :(

Don't worry, back to storm normality tomoro.

Must actually book my flights soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

February training is really getting me down.
    Today is about the third day this month I have had to cancel a session due to weather. I was all ready and had mapped out a 10 mile route home for a PMP run. Looked out all day at lovely weather then about an hour before my run the snow started dropping. In the end I was lucky just to stay on my feet never mind running a prescribed pace. Between this and the wind I am getting sick of it now :mad:
    I only wish I had a job where I could run during the day when it suited....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Training was going great until last week when I got sick but back out this week following the plan. Overall I'm in a much better place than when I was training for DCM13,which eventually I had to withdraw from due to injury. A few niggles but nothing serious at moment. Looking forward to steady training over next few weeks and then PBing at Bohermeen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Gavlor wrote: »
    Don't worry, back to storm normality tomoro.

yeah stormy weather. Never thought I'd say that. So long as it's not stormy snowy weather :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It was a little tough skating around Greystones this evening and I was a little tired anyway after 81 in the last 6 days, but got through 1hr40. A few easy days coming up now to recharge the batteries.
    Looking fwd to London, flying in Friday lunchtime with the family, hope to get registration out of the way and chillax Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Avoided the snow down here in the SE, 24k tonight under clear sky's. Doing much higher mileage this time so feeling knackered all the time.

Fly in to Southend on sat morning and off to the parents for a few days afterwards, once I have celebrated with a few beers.

Hopefully the journey to the start will not be too much hassle, I imagine wherever you stay there are loads of other people making the same journey.

Really looking forward to it... Not long to go now, 8 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Training not going as well as I would have hoped. Yet to book flights yet so need to get that sorted soon

Ticking along in training but came very close to a bad fall in Chapelizod on that little boardwalk thing that runs along the old bridge on the main road. It was a deathtrap with the little dusting we got tonight and I think my fat head would have done damage to the bridge had I hit it! Flights are booked with Cityjet for late afternoon Friday so hopefully nip into the expo when we arrive all going well. I'm not thinking about the marathon itself too much but I reckon once Bohermeen is out of the way ill probably start to really look forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Training seems to be going ok at the moment. Sick of the poxy weather and dark nights limiting routes at the moment. Hard to gauge progress if any, though did get a decent result in Raheny. Bohermeen is the plan for me as well in the lead up to it.

Hard to try and balance everything at this time of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ticking along in training but came very close to a bad fall in Chapelizod on that little boardwalk thing that runs along the old bridge on the main road. It was a deathtrap with the little dusting we got tonight and I think my fat head would have done damage to the bridge had I hit it! Flights are booked with Cityjet for late afternoon Friday so hopefully nip into the expo when we arrive all going well. I'm not thinking about the marathon itself too much but I reckon once Bohermeen is out of the way ill probably start to really look forward to it.

I went iceskating across it last night aswell!

Question for those who have run London before:

My target time is 3:45. Having watched this on the telly many times it does seem like it's choc a bloc at the start.

How likely, given my target time and possible positioning at start, is it that it might take a mile or two before I can hit my target pace?

Or is there nothing to worry about in that respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Mixed feelings here.
    On a comeback after a tough second half of last year, so happy where I am considering everything but a bit frustrated compared to where I was this time last year.
    Haven't decided on competing/completing yet!! Really looking forward to it though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RedRunner wrote: »
    Question for those who have run London before:

My target time is 3:45. Having watched this on the telly many times it does seem like it's choc a bloc at the start.

How likely, given my target time and possible positioning at start, is it that it might take a mile or two before I can hit my target pace?

Or is there nothing to worry about in that respect?

Did you get a lottery place or good for age?

Did you get a lottery place or good for age?

Got a UK lottery place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RedRunner wrote: »
    Got a UK lottery place.

It will be crowded and slow at the start, and you'll probably come to a halt at some junction around about 2 miles, and then again at 6 miles around the Cutty Sark. Don't worry too much about it though as everyone is in the same boat, you've got chip timing, the rest of the route it plenty wide enough to get past people, and take your time over the following 20 miles to make up any lost time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

robinph wrote: »
    It will be crowded and slow at the start, and you'll probably come to a halt at some junction around about 2 miles, and then again at 6 miles around the Cutty Sark. Don't worry too much about it though as everyone is in the same boat, you've got chip timing, the rest of the route it plenty wide enough to get past people, and take your time over the following 20 miles to make up any lost time.

Worth adding that it pays to be patient in London as the first 5k is a little downhill and it's easy to get carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

neilc wrote: »
    Haven't decided on competing/completing yet!!

Probably best off doing this one in tourist mode, then go for it in the autumn if you're only on a comeback now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Clearlier wrote: »
    Worth adding that it pays to be patient in London as the first 5k is a little downhill and it's easy to get carried away.

For those of us first timers whats the overall course profile like? Any particular area's of difficulty?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    For those of us first timers whats the overall course profile like? Any particular area's of difficulty?

It is specifically designed to be as flat as possible by staying as close to the river as it can. There is a bit of downhill at the start, the Cutty Sark will be crowded and you may have to walk for a moment depending on how far back in the field you are, the next bit is possibly the most boring going through Rotherhithe, but then you turn a corner and "literally" get hit with a wall of sound and the sight of Tower Bridge. Then it will become a bit twisty, turny going through the docklands and Canary Wharf area, but the sound from people cheering here is even louder again and if you were struggling you'll get a second wind at that point. After that it is just straight back along the river towards Big Ben then turn the corner at Queenies house and sprint to the line.

Nothing to concern yourself over really at any point on the course, except for Cutty Sark but just enjoy that as it is a great crowd through there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

pistol_75 wrote: »

I have only run it once and it didn't end well so others more experienced might provide more info.

I remember it as being fairly flat. The points where the starts merge are very busy and further down the field as Robin said you might find yourself at a standstill for a moment or two. Be prepared for it and don't use up any emotional or physical energy on it. As with all spring marathons watch out for the temperature. It doesn't need to be really hot just relatively hot for it to be an issue. If it's 18C and you've done all of your training at 5C it's probably (there are some exceptions) going to have an impact.

I have only run it once and it didn't end well so others more experienced might provide more info.

I remember it as being fairly flat. The points where the starts merge are very busy and further down the field as Robin said you might find yourself at a standstill for a moment or two. Be prepared for it and don't use up any emotional or physical energy on it. As with all spring marathons watch out for the temperature. It doesn't need to be really hot just relatively hot for it to be an issue. If it's 18C and you've done all of your training at 5C it's probably (there are some exceptions) going to have an impact.

Exctly. Enjoy the experience.

The potential bottle neck in the first three miles, either at a roundabout where loads of people stop to relieve themselves on the cars driving on the road below or where the two courses merge, are not a big deal to worry about.
    The pause at the Cutty Sark should be enjoyed. Yes you'll be getting slowed up a bit, but the crowds are mahossive and you should just take in the cheering energy that they are giving you, wave a the crowd and high five the kids on the side.

• Advertisement

It doesn't need to be really hot just relatively hot for it to be an issue. If it's 18C and you've done all of your training at 5C it's probably (there are some exceptions) going to have an impact.

That's the one thing that really worries me as I do get affected by the heat. I'll just have to deal with it if it ahppens though...plenty of fluids and bring my salt tabs!

Advertisement