Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RedRunner wrote: »
    That's the one thing that really worries me as I do get affected by the heat. I'll just have to deal with it if it ahppens though...plenty of fluids and bring my salt tabs!

I'm sure you know this already, but don't get carried away with the drinking.

Nobody ever died from not drinking enough water during a marathon, unfortunately they have from drinking too much. Just take a sip of water from the bottles at every other water station and you'll be grand. There is water approximately every mile after the first few miles. Do not be downing a whole bottle at each water station. Have a sip, then pass the bottle across to someone in the middle of the road who didn't make it to the water station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

robinph wrote: »

Nobody ever died from not drinking enough water during a marathon, unfortunately they have from drinking too much. Just take a sip of water from the bottles at every other water station and you'll be grand. There is water approximately every mile after the first few miles. Do not be downing a whole bottle at each water station. Have a sip, then pass the bottle across to someone in the middle of the road who didn't make it to the water station.

I used to say that but then I read of a few cases where people had died due to dehydration. It's also true that dehydration can cause other complications.

London isn't that likely a candidate for dehydration as even hot days rarely go above 20C unlike say Chicago or even Paris.

As Robin says however drinking too much is a bad idea and there have been several cases of runners dying due to drinking too much.

The best advice IMO remains to drink to thirst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Clearlier wrote: »
    I used to say that but then I read of a few cases where people had died due to dehydration. It's also true that dehydration can cause other complications.

London isn't that likely a candidate for dehydration as even hot days rarely go above 20C unlike say Chicago or even Paris.

As Robin says however drinking too much is a bad idea and there have been several cases of runners dying due to drinking too much.

The best advice IMO remains to drink to thirst.

Thanks guys. Yes,I'm aware of those dangers (hyponatremia etc)alright but thanks for the reminder. What are the water stations usually stocked with ? sports bottle cap, any isotonic drinks usually available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks guys. Yes,I'm aware of those dangers (hyponatremia etc)alright but thanks for the reminder. What are the water stations usually stocked with ? sports bottle cap, any isotonic drinks usually available?

I remember there being water and lucozade sport (orange) basically every mile throughout the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

So I'm guessing its marginally faster than Dublin? Which half is slower?

• Advertisement

So I'm guessing its marginally faster than Dublin? Which half is slower?

I don't remember any hills at all.
    First 3 mile are downhill (not much just a bit; but also the only inclines are in this section). Then you hit the level of the Thames and it is perfectly flat for the rest of the course. Maybe the first half is a few seconds faster but we are talking very small margins here.
    It's the perfect course for an even or negative split.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would have to be faster than Dublin, purely on an elevation point of view. There are zero climbs, other than a very small incline at an underpass around Canary Wharf and another as you get onto The Embankment. Neither are anything like the hill coming under the N4 in DCM or the one at 19miles.

The only thing that could make it harder than Dublin is if there is a strong wind blowing west to east'ish as you do have a good few miles towards the end where you would be potentially exposed along the river, whilst in Dublin you are mostly sheltered by buildings the whole way, and the bit in the Phoenix Park is early on enough that it shouldn't matter if there was a mad wind on the day.

I think the water is in bottles with screw tops, but there is so much of it that even if you do struggle to drink out of a bottle, they will be handing you another one in a few more minutes time and you can have another go at getting a mouthful of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't remember any hills at all.
    First 3 mile are downhill (not much just a bit; but also the only inclines are in this section). Then you hit the level of the Thames and it is perfectly flat for the rest of the course. Maybe the first half is a few seconds faster but we are talking very small margins here.
    It's the perfect course for an even or negative split.

Of the first 1000 finishers last year 84 had a negative split. I'd be interested to compare this to other marathons as there are so many factors outside of the course that contribute to a positive split but my belief is that a small positive split represents the perfectly paced London marathon result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Just a question regarding good for age qualification for this race.

I see on their website it says you need a UK passport & a UK address to be eligible. Is there a way around this? I'm assuming everyone here hasn't got a UK passport?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Just a question regarding good for age qualification for this race.

I see on their website it says you need a UK passport & a UK address to be eligible. Is there a way around this? I'm assuming everyone here hasn't got a UK passport?

You don't need a UK passport. You just need a UK address, passport is one of the ways you can prove address but you don't have to be a UK citizen, just a resident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Clearlier wrote: »
    Of the first 1000 finishers last year 84 had a negative split. I'd be interested to compare this to other marathons as there are so many factors outside of the course that contribute to a positive split but my belief is that a small positive split represents the perfectly paced London marathon result.

Would agree. I've ran it twice and negative split both times but that was due to a conservative start. It's a super super course. Very fast IMO. I've ran Berlin and reckon that's faster as there are less turns etc but if you're fit and in the form to run a good time London is an accommodating course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TRR wrote: »
    I've ran it twice

Of course you have ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Of course you have ;):D

You're probably thinking of briandescemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's the one thing that really worries me as I do get affected by the heat. I'll just have to deal with it if it ahppens though...plenty of fluids and bring my salt tabs!

Also, last year they had "showers" along the course, that you could run under, which I found really cooled me down. They are light, so you don't have to worry about being drenched!

It's a great course, and the support and atmosphere is fantastic.

RubyK wrote: »
    Also, last year they had "showers" along the course, that you could run under, which I found really cooled me down. They are light, so you don't have to worry about being drenched!

It's a great course, and the support and atmosphere is fantastic.

That sounds great! I'm really starting to get excited about the whole thing now.Can't wait for it to come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Flights book, over with city jet (thanks meno & robin) back with aer lingus from heathrow.

sh!ts getting real now!

We aren't in the strand as it was extortionately expensive for a double room. Booked premier inn Leicester Sq instead a couple of months back.

What's the after race boozer called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Gavlor wrote: »
    Flights book, over with city jet (thanks meno & robin) back with aer lingus from heathrow.

sh!ts getting real now!

We aren't in the strand as it was extortionately expensive for a double room. Booked premier inn Leicester Sq instead a couple of months back.

8 weeks tomorrow yikes...

Think the boozer is The Coal Hole.

sh!ts getting real now!

Just checked on trivago and picked up a double room from sat to tues in the strand palace for a €80 cheaper than premier inn, including brekkie. result!!

All that seems to be left is club room, fairly saucy price though. Here's the link for anyone that might be looking for a room...

http://www.travelrepublic.ie/hotels/hotel-availability-details.aspx?sid=e006f4fc-d57d-4075-a379-d4429486e882&id=123599&source=TV&dlid=22888146#search/e006f4fc-d57d-4075-a379-d4429486e882

Had a terrible dream last night that I rolled up to the start on April 13th and had forgotten to register. There was this whole scenario of me trying to get to the start line without anyone noticing I had no official number and then the nightmare of running and doing a PB without an official chip time had me in a cold sweat.

Oh the relief when I woke and realised it was just a bad dream !

.....and it's not even taper time yet!!!!

The fa cup semi finals are on 12/13th of April!

How am I going to break the news to Mrs G?

Of course there is the small matter of arsenal to deal with first.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

See you guys have got a decent pacer for this now...

See you guys have got a decent pacer for this now...

Hoping that Haile doesn't do the full distance so that I can claim to have beaten him as well as Mo last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hoping that Haile doesn't do the full distance so that I can claim to have beaten him as well as Mo last year.

I beat him in Berlin when he dropped out.
    He hasn't taken me on again :p

The fa cup semi finals are on 12/13th of April!

How am I going to break the news to Mrs G?

Of course there is the small matter of arsenal to deal with first.....

What are the chances of getting tickets to any of the games? Says on the website they are all distributed through the clubs.

Whatever the chances of going to a match on Saturday I reckon Sunday will be nil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just as well you all already have your accommodation booked in London that weekend. Hate to be a travelling fan for that!

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting tickets to any of the games? Says on the website they are all distributed through the clubs.

Whatever the chances of going to a match on Saturday I reckon Sunday will be nil.

3 or 5 o'clock ko on Sunday would be ideal. The fact that I live on merseyside *cough cough* might aid my cause for getting a ticket!

When does the ''important'' letter come to my UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

3 or 5 o'clock ko on Sunday would be ideal. The fact that I live on merseyside *cough cough* might aid my cause for getting a ticket!

Went to utd v city a few years ago. Was a 5.30 start. 2 years ago got arsenal v Chelsea. Last year was qpr v stoke
    With capacity of wembley if arsenal don't make it I reckon you will get tickets.
    Thr last time it was on marathon day stoke played and it didn't go near capacity. Hope to go myself. Sunday was a 4pm start. Depends who is on that weekend though.
    Out for last 2 months so only getting over it now. Tightness due to years of no stretching. Lesson learnt. In 3 months I plan to be very flexible. Still a ****e runner but very flexible

digger2d2 wrote: »
    When does the ''important'' letter come to my UK address?

Are you waiting for that before you kick off the training? ;)

Must meet up for a long run one of these weekends if you fancy it...

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Are you waiting for that before you kick off the training? ;)

Must meet up for a long run one of these weekends if you fancy it...

Yeh, let me know when you've 5 miles to do ;)

Advertisement