Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Beef wrote: »
    It's allowed on Gold Cup day... ;)

And champion hurdle day?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It's allowed all week during Cheltenham :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

yaboya1 wrote: »
    It's allowed all week during Cheltenham :pac::pac:

What about Paddys weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What about Paddys weekend?

That goes without saying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Magazine, number and registration details arrived to my address in the North today!! Four weeks tomorrow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Magazines arrived in London this morning too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mine arrived to my ahem 'Richmond' address ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

posh git!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Going by the Location in your profile; that would be Richmond Co wicklow right? ;)

Nothing as yet up in Co Tyrone. The one time of the year I am happy to declare Tyrone to be part of the UK :D

The postman arrived in Co Down today. I guess this is real now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I love how we have post on a Saturday here in the uk ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

No sign of anything, perhaps it's a sign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Anyone else feel a bit deflated after cheltenham and paddy's (not talking about financial losses), but the body took a bit of a battering.

Hope I haven't set meself back to much, still pretty much following the marathon intermediate training plan. Under 4 weeks, countdown is really on, actually can't come quick enough, I want my weekend mornings back.

I notice the Man CIty / Lpool game is on at 2pm that day, is there a close by pub people are going to for rehydration? Any idea how long the whole finishing process takes? Probably have to write off the game anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Polster wrote: »
    I notice the Man CIty / Lpool game is on at 2pm that day, is there a close by pub people are going to for rehydration? Any idea how long the whole finishing process takes? Probably have to write off the game anyways.

yes we are heading to the coal hole

Depends on your finish time really whether you'll get to see the match or not. Collecting your bag and getting to the meeting area is quite efficient but again this will depend on where in the field you are finishing. The closer to the front obviously the lees to queue etc. I'm guessing around the 4hr mark could be very busy. Coal hole is about a 20 minute walk/shuffle/stumble from the finish if I remember correctly.

Final round of The Masters that night as well. Pacing might be even more critical in The Coal Hole :-)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Final round of The Masters that night as well. Pacing might be even more critical in The Coal Hole :-)

Turning into a triathlon this, plenty to think about on the way round anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Got my form and final instructions by email today. I'm in the red start, not GFA section, I imagine this will be very busy? Any advice?

Still received nothing out. Anybody else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Still received nothing out. Anybody else in the same boat?

Nothing received here yet.

Mine arrived on merseyside over the weekend

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Mine arrived on merseyside over the weekend

I heard Digger's arrived on merseyside too. He's a liverpool fan, are you from the other side of the city?? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got my form and final instructions by email today. I'm in the red start, not GFA section, I imagine this will be very busy? Any advice?

The main red start will be mostly charity runners, in theory you should all still be allocated the starting pens in the same way based on predicted start times so should still be surrounded by people mostly doing the same pace as you.

Same tips go for every area though. Enjoy it, get there on time, use the loo, chill out, use the loo, hand your baggage in, use the loo, chill out, enjoy it. It will be very, very crowded for the first few miles for everyone not in the front couple of pens and you are possibly going to come to a walking stop at some point. Don't worry too much about it, there will be more than enough crowds cheering you on later on that will make up for the couple of seconds that you loose from a bottle neck early on.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I heard Digger's arrived on merseyside too. He's a liverpool fan, are you from the other side of the city?? ;)

There are no Liverpool supporting scousers, anfield is full of paddys and Norwegians so he must be a blow in ;)

robinph wrote: »
    The main red start will be mostly charity runners, in theory you should all still be allocated the starting pens in the same way based on predicted start times so should still be surrounded by people mostly doing the same pace as you.

Same tips go for every area though. Enjoy it, get there on time, use the loo, chill out, use the loo, hand your baggage in, use the loo, chill out, enjoy it. It will be very, very crowded for the first few miles for everyone not in the front couple of pens and you are possibly going to come to a walking stop at some point. Don't worry too much about it, there will be more than enough crowds cheering you on later on that will make up for the couple of seconds that you loose from a bottle neck early on.

Good advice, have you any idea how the 'predicted times' and 'starting pens' are broken up? I think I put down 3:29, hoping to be a bit quicker than that now, would it be like 3 - 3:30, 3 - 4hrs, any ideas at all? I prefer chasing that being out front anyways :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Polster wrote: »
    Good advice, have you any idea how the 'predicted times' and 'starting pens' are broken up? I think I put down 3:29, hoping to be a bit quicker than that now, would it be like 3 - 3:30, 3 - 4hrs, any ideas at all? I prefer chasing that being out front anyways :)

Not sure how they would break down the starting pens, but I guess it's not an exact science that we mortals would ever understand. For instance on the red start you have pens one and two being 2:45 - 3:05, and then anyone else behind that, but they might be starting the pen numbering from 3 backwards for the non-GFA people.
    But on the blue start they will presumably have Mo and his buddies in pen 1, but then anyone sub 2:45 in something like pen 2 behind them and any sub 3:40 women behind that as the championship start, then the masses all slot in behind there.

Basically I've no idea, but with a time of 3:29 you should be well up towards the front half of the start pens on either start.

robinph wrote: »
    Not sure how they would break down the starting pens, but I guess it's not an exact science that we mortals would ever understand. For instance on the red start you have pens one and two being 2:45 - 3:05, and then anyone else behind that, but they might be starting the pen numbering from 3 backwards for the non-GFA people.
    But on the blue start they will presumably have Mo and his buddies in pen 1, but then anyone sub 2:45 in something like pen 2 behind them and any sub 3:40 women behind that as the championship start, then the masses all slot in behind there.

Basically I've no idea, but with a time of 3:29 you should be well up towards the front half of the start pens on either start.

Aye, hopefully won't take to long to spread out, first marathon so not sure what to expect, really looking forward to it though, fed up of this feckin running, so much of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

I received my registration form by email today so all set now! Just one more 20 miler this weekend so hopefully that will go to plan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Gavlor wrote: »
    There are no Liverpool supporting scousers, anfield is full of paddys and Norwegians so he must be a blow in ;)

Som ikke er ekte Gavlor ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I got my letter, claralara got a registration email.... We are both in the (Red) Fast Good For Age area

• Advertisement

Currently on 48 parkruns completed and will be doing another new local one this week followed by a long run home.

Now trying to decide if I should do number 50 at Bushy Park on the Saturday before the marathon or not.

Advertisement