Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

belcarra wrote: »
    Is it possible to supply a UK address but still declare your Nationality as Irish?
    (Sorry for asking you such sensitive questions Meno:D)

I saw in the online article from the Times (I think?) with Marthastew that officially there was only about 50 Irish that ran the marathon (because so many had gone through the UK address route presumably).

295 according to the Dublin Marathon facebook page.

Dunnot where the times got the 50 figure from, but yeah thought the figure they put in was very low myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Is it possible to supply a UK address but still declare your Nationality as Irish?

I'll certainly be trying to envoke my GFA rights (not good for age ;)) when I apply through my Northern address. I'll let you know this time next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

295 according to the Dublin Marathon facebook page.

Dunnot where the times got the 50 figure from, but yeah thought the figure they put in was very low myself.

The 56 figure comes from the official London Marathon media guide. Irish is supposedly the highest represented nationality after British with only something like 20 from France. Anyone staying in the Strand Palace will have possibly seen far more French than that just in the hotel with that international marathon tour group, and they had several pages of the results printed up in the lobby as well that evening . I can't see any French or Irish people putting their nationality down as British by mistake so we can conclude that the VLM media guide is a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I saw in the online article from the Times (I think?) with Marthastew that officially there was only about 50 Irish that ran the marathon (because so many had gone through the UK address route presumably).

I was wondering that myself but they could hardly discriminate on that basis since so many Irish or non-nationals live in the UK.

I'm also wondering if it is worth putting a different variation of my name into International ballot but wouldnt want that to screw up the UK ballot chances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think it could just be that the person doing the stats doesn't know the difference between Nationality and residency. All the people on the international tours probably have their address recorded as the tour company for instance, but take any group of 40,000 people in the UK and way more than 300 will be of a different nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Nah there doesnt seem to be a chance to stick in nationality, just residency and an assumption is made from that. Our passport scans clearly show Ireland but they dont seem to take any notice.

No biggie anyway, it gets you in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

No biggie anyway, it gets you in the door.

800 years..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Peckham wrote: »

No biggie in the sense GBR is beside your name in a results section you'll never look at again after the race.

Not like you've to swear allegiance or anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RedRunner wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself but they could hardly discriminate on that basis since so many Irish or non-nationals live in the UK.

I'm also wondering if it is worth putting a different variation of my name into International ballot but wouldnt want that to screw up the UK ballot chances.

Make sure whatever variation you use that you have ID in the name as you need to show it when collecting your number...(well depends who you get.. I didn't have to show any ID...)

I entered both Ballots, one in my maiden name using my brothers UK address (so same surname) and the International one using my married name..so i had ID in both names!!! I'm having a crisis of identy as i work with one name and live by another!!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    It's not your nationality, it's your residency. Applying for GFA is for GB residents only, so how could anyone have an issue with having their residency listed as GB? If you're applying for GFA in the first place then it's fact. FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Gonna put my name in the pot for this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

I have a GFA time from the 2012 DCM. Providing they don't lower the GFA time, doe this guarantee you entry?

Should I enter the ballot on Monday just in case?

I have a GFA time from the 2012 DCM. Providing they don't lower the GFA time, doe this guarantee you entry?

Should I enter the ballot on Monday just in case?

Yes Providing you have a UK address.

No need to enter the ballot if you have a GFA

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Anyone know the GFA for > 40 ?

Anyone know the GFA for > 40 ?

I'm Pretty sure it was sub 3:15 this year for M40-49

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm Pretty sure it was sub 3:15 this year for M40-49

Yep, that is correct. They have altered the page today and taken the 2013 times down, not put the new ones up yet though...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Entered this last year and had no luck so going to try again,

Best odds are still by using say a cousins address and claiming i live in the UK?

I'll never get it on times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭plodder

I've entered the overseas lottery the last three years with no luck. I don't think they disclose how many places are made available for it, but it can't be very many as they only allow a few thousand even into the lottery. It's not clear that the chances are any better in the domestic ballot/lottery either though. The GFA route is the only dependable way it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Cabaal wrote: »
    Entered this last year and had no luck so going to try again,

Best odds are still by using say a cousins address and claiming i live in the UK?

I'll never get it on times :pac:

Surely you know one or two fast lads here that ain't doing it. Plenty of ways of skinning a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

I presume the ballot opens at 9am next Monday??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Younganne wrote: »
    Make sure whatever variation you use that you have ID in the name as you need to show it when collecting your number...(well depends who you get.. I didn't have to show any ID...)

I entered both Ballots, one in my maiden name using my brothers UK address (so same surname) and the International one using my married name..so i had ID in both names!!! I'm having a crisis of identy as i work with one name and live by another!!!!:o

Thanks for the tip Anne....good point. I'll take my chances on the UK ballot so.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Can any of you remember what time the ballot opens at? Or how long it's open for? Is it until a certain amount of people have entered? I tried entering last year and the year before but site kept crashing and I was trying to do it whilst at work so had to give up. Fingers crossed for this year!

My uk relation is planning a trip to oz in early to mid march 2014 so what date does the last correspondence go out by post approx? Might need a plan B!

Steroo wrote: »
    My uk relation is planning a trip to oz in early to mid march 2014 so what date does the last correspondence go out by post approx? Might need a plan B!

Late march but apply under that address and then change address. Know any sub 3.10 runner ?

Late march but apply under that address and then change address. Know any sub 3.10 runner ?

Thanks, I just got a plan B organised!
    I don't know anyone I'm afraid, well I know one but he'd be afraid what time someone else might post beside his name so i dare not ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I know a sub 3.10 runner who I may be able to convince to not run :P. But do you not have to show copies of passport etc when collecting eveything?

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    I know a sub 3.10 runner who I may be able to convince to not run :P. But do you not have to show copies of passport etc when collecting eveything?

A letter signed by him saying your are collecting his/her number. You need a copy of ID too. You need a copy of his/her passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I'll be going the GFA route for this myself but only as a back up to my first preference of Boston. I'm 4:32 minutes better than qualifying time but after the tragic events this year the demand next year will be huge, so I'm thinking it mightn't be enough! If it is though, I'll have a number going a begging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

Is there a rule similar to New York where your guaranteed entry if you fail in the lottery after so many attempts

• Advertisement

BenMicheal wrote: »
    Is there a rule similar to New York where your guaranteed entry if you fail in the lottery after so many attempts

There was but not anymore

Advertisement