Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

robinph wrote: »
    Currently on 48 parkruns completed and will be doing another new local one this week followed by a long run home.

Now trying to decide if I should do number 50 at Bushy Park on the Saturday before the marathon or not.

You probably have 3M easy in the plan - go for a PW!

Race pack arrived today, me and 2,499 others in the little red start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Race pack arrived today, me and 2,499 others in the little red start :D

I tell you what, it's an experience if you haven't done it before. The massive chill out area, the free lucozade sport and water, the none too intimidating queues for the loos, the very intimidating fit looking runners everywhere, the cordoned off warm up area, not having to weave around slower runners for the first mile or two and all the other stuff I just can't remember. Oh yea, and then there's the race itself. Enjoy the experience. I myself, am just really looking forward to watching it on the d'telly this year. That there marathon training is too tough for me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Got my pack today. I'm in the Blue area. I see each area is broken into 9 zones depending on predicted finish time. Can't remember what I predicted actually at time of entering the ballot, might be sub4 when Im actually aiming for 3.45 now. hope this doesnt hinder my chances too much. Guess i'll just have to be patient for the first couple of mile.

I'm feeling sick with the excitement , like a child on Christmas eve!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unless you are in the Red GFA area or the Elite starts you are going to get held up a bit at the start due to slower people infront of you. Even people at the front of the mass Blue start are going to get held up by the slower championship runners infront of them. Just accept it and do not stress out over the first couple of miles. After mile 6 there should be no holdups and you'll then have another 20 to do and make up the few seconds you have lost.

Better to be going too slow at the start than too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I still have received nothing so I rang their office. Not much wait and very helpful. They are going to resend my magazine and Reg Form....

Anyway I already have my number from the GFA acceptance letter. 31952. I guess I will be in the red GFA zone again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    I still have received nothing so I rang their office. Not much wait and very helpful. They are going to resend my magazine and Reg Form....

Anyway I already have my number from the GFA acceptance letter. 31952. I guess I will be in the red GFA zone again...

Hopefully this time you'll make the most of it ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hopefully this time you'll make the most of it ;)

I'm surpirsed they put you in there tbh with your qualifying time. ;) Are you not tempted to move back a few waves or are you gonna do a Drogheda and District special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'm surpirsed they put you in there tbh with your qualifying time. ;) Are you not tempted to move back a few waves or are you gonna do a Drogheda and District special?

I don't know meno, he's on an upward curve and you're on a rapid downward curve. He could catch you yet on the 13th of April ;)

TRR wrote: »
    I don't know meno, he's on an upward curve and you're on a rapid downward curve. He could catch you yet on the 13th of April ;)

I'l happily accept any wagers so let's see how confident you are :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm surpirsed they put you in there tbh with your qualifying time. ;)

Did himself and claralara swap qualifying times? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

or are you gonna do a Drogheda and District special?

I'm not fat enough ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm not fast enough ;):D

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

I got my pack last week, magazine and registration form, can't see any ref to what my start group is though. Anyone able advise me if I seem to be missing something? My number is 41344 if that makes any difference.

Polster wrote: »
    I got my pack last week, magazine and registration form, can't see any ref to what my start group is though. Anyone able advise me if I seem to be missing something? My number is 41344 if that makes any difference.

Pg42 gives the zones in relation to the numbers - you are in the General Red Zone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If it's the same as the GFA numbers then you'll have a small number on the bottom of the race number that specifies what pen you then get into in the start area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Fast good for age for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ososlo wrote: »

The same clown was Irish Dancing (dressed as a leprecaun) at the entrance to the starting pens last year. Loads of people taking pictures of him. Doubt they knew who he was :mad:

Thank heavens he is not in. Can't believe he was making it known and still almost got away with running. Would of been shameful on Ireland again no doubt.

Three weeks, long run Friday, long pints yesterday, ten steady miles today, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I haven't managed to read mine yet due to uhh being away with work. Can anyone tell me what the story is this year with getting someone else to pick up my number for me? I'll be away with work until the day before the race...

This what they say....

While preferring you to register in person, we recognise this may be impossible. You can nominate someone to collect your number for you. The person you nominate must have the following: a letter, written and signed by you, authorising that person - by name - to collect your number. You must also sign your registration form before handing it to them. The person collecting your running number should have suitable identification on them. Failure to comply with these instructions may lead to your number not being issued. Please note, and individual can only pick up one running number in addition to their own.

The Registration form is with your pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

This what they say....

While preferring you to register in person, we recognise this may be impossible. You can nominate someone to collect your number for you. The person you nominate must have the following: a letter, written and signed by you, authorising that person - by name - to collect your number. You must also sign your registration form before handing it to them. The person collecting your running number should have suitable identification on them. Failure to comply with these instructions may lead to your number not being issued. Please note, and individual can only pick up one running number in addition to their own.

The Registration form is with your pack.

While this is their stated requirement, last year I was faced with this situation when collecting for a "friend". Armed with all necessary signed documentation I approached the collection desk nervously only to be handed the race pack without question nor request for said documentation. I was a little taken aback by their lack of proper policing and demanded they look at the docs I had with me. They genuinely were surprised that these docs were required and were completely ignorant of what was the protocol.
    That said, would you risk not having the signed docs.
    Good luck. Hope the weather is as glorious as last year.

The same clown was Irish Dancing (dressed as a leprecaun) at the entrance to the starting pens last year. Loads of people taking pictures of him. Doubt they knew who he was :mad:

He is banned from all London areas during the London Marathon. I saw him at the start of the race last year and pointed him out to the police / security and had him moved on. Pissed me off mightily seeing him before the start.

robinph wrote: »
    He is banned from all London areas during the London Marathon. I saw him at the start of the race last year and pointed him out to the police / security and had him moved on. Pissed me off mightily seeing him before the start.

There's only one 'Horan' going to be causing havoc on the streets of London this April :D

If anyone sees the other guy called Horan then do point him out to any Police/ security and let them know there is a ASBO on him being anywhere near the marathon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Horan#Legal_restraints

Don't take photos of him or encourage him in anyway.

Anyone any tips for the tapering down, or should it be cool to pretty much follow the online plans from the vigin site? Bit afraid of not doing any more long runs until the day, if the legs will have forgotten the previous efforts and pains.

Finalising my research for London :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Anyone any tips for the tapering down, or should it be cool to pretty much follow the online plans from the vigin site? Bit afraid of not doing any more long runs until the day, if the legs will have forgotten the previous efforts and pains.

haven't looked at those plans but believe me, the legs won't have forgotten previous efforts. However if you do anything silly and push too hard or long in the next few days you legs won't forgive you!

Personally I've an 18 miler left this weekend and then 2 week taper, my longest run during the taper will be 12-14 miles easy a week out. I've ran a good few marathons and found this works for me (usually). If you're a little less experienced and have been following a plan, stick to it would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I suppose key is reduce volume but maintain intensity within the sessions.

Last big week for myself with my last 20 miler is this weekend. I have to bring it forward to Friday morning but that probably is a good thing.
    Booked in for a good rub down then after

Advertisement