Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

http://www.oddschecker.com/athletics/london-marathon/mens-london-marathon-2014/winner

Ladbrokes are offering 12/1 on Geoffrey Mutai while Farrah is 3/1 :rolleyes:
    I wonder is Mutai worth a sneaky punt? You can also get 10/1 about Emanuel Mutai....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

menoscemo wrote: »
    I still have received nothing so I rang their office. Not much wait and very helpful. They are going to resend my magazine and Reg Form....

Anyway I already have my number from the GFA acceptance letter. 31952. I guess I will be in the red GFA zone again...

Can you send me on the number. I have still received nothing and suspect that i have missed out on some part of the process.
    I assume everyone has their details by now?

Can you send me on the number. I have still received nothing and suspect that i have missed out on some part of the process.
    I assume everyone has their details by now?

Yeah, I have mine now. They arrived the day after I rang them. I suspect they just forgot to send them out to me the first time :pac:
    The number to call is the one listed on their website +44 20 7902 0200
    I had my number ready from the first magazine they sent out which made things a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

http://www.oddschecker.com/athletics/london-marathon/mens-london-marathon-2014/winner

Ladbrokes are offering 12/1 on Geoffrey Mutai while Farrah is 3/1 :rolleyes:
    I wonder is Mutai worth a sneaky punt? You can also get 10/1 about Emanuel Mutai....

I backed Geoffrey about a week ago with Ladbrokes at 4/1 :( wonder why his odds have dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I backed Geoffrey about a week ago with Ladbrokes at 4/1 :( wonder why his odds have dropped?

Because the menescemo millions were down at 12/1 before you ;)

No idea...12/1 seems crazy. I think oddschecker is buggered actually. Just checked ladbrokes and he is 4/1. Emanuel is 12/1 though...http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/athletics
    Geoffrey is 6/1 on paddy Power while Emanuel is 7/2 with them :confused:
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Because the menescemo millions were down at 12/1 before you ;)

Nothing yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Not even officially tapering yet and I'm having some bizzare nightmares. The usual ones like taking wrong turns, an inability to run, massive hills, turning up to the start late etc etc.

Last night was the worst though. I dreamt that they wouldn't serve me in the coal hole!!!! That was on top of a short course or some other stress. Woke up in an awful sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's a good thing the Coal Hole hasn't received a photograph of you with a warning that you're a known troublemaker, barred from several Dublin pubs

Judging from a late run last night when you get that "floaty feeling" it looks like i have fully tapered and am race ready 2 weeks too early:). Thats what happens when you have 3 weeks of little or no activity when it should be the 3 biggest weeks.

I actually think this extra rest and limited training approach with work being so nuts might actually stand to me on race day:eek: At least i cannot blame overtraining or tiredness going into this one. Need to try and maintain that "floaty feeling" for a further 2 weeks though.

Number now sorted, MIL up North was winding me up, she had it all along.

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    Not even officially tapering yet and I'm having some bizzare nightmares. The usual ones like taking wrong turns, an inability to run, massive hills, turning up to the start late etc etc.

Last night was the worst though. I dreamt that they wouldn't serve me in the coal hole!!!! That was on top of a short course or some other stress. Woke up in an awful sweat.

Nightmare update. Dreamt last night that someone blew up tower bridge the Saturday before the marathon! Probably have MI5 following my posts now after writing something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I actually think this extra rest and limited training approach with work being so nuts might actually stand to me on race day:eek: At least i cannot blame overtraining or tiredness going into this one. Need to try and maintain that "floaty feeling" for a further 2 weeks though.

Number now sorted, MIL up North was winding me up, she had it all along.

Better to turn up a under trained than over trained

Are you in red start? Might see you for a coffee before hand:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

No idea...12/1 seems crazy. I think oddschecker is buggered actually. Just checked ladbrokes and he is 4/1. Emanuel is 12/1 though...http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/athletics
    Geoffrey is 6/1 on paddy Power while Emanuel is 7/2 with them :confused:

Nothing yet ;)

Geoffrey's race in New York being so close as well as E Mutai's great year last year (yes 2 seconds but two great performances) compared to G Mutai's last few marathons (Kimetto letting him win in Berlin, and New York win nearly 3 min slower than his own course record)

To me Mutai at 11s on Victor is a great value bet as I would say 5s or 6s would reflect the true value and I would imagine you should to be able to hedge this on Betfair come race day in running. The Farah price is a joke. I reckon his true price should be about 12s

ecoli wrote: »
    I would imagine you should to be able to hedge this on Betfair come race day in running.

Right so, I'll run with my betting apps open and live commentary of the race in one ear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Right so, I'll run with my betting apps open and live commentary of the race in one ear ;)

Strategically place rainbow kirby and BriandeRunner around the course giving you updates and taking BIR instructions from you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/london/10711942/London-Marathon-2014-spectators-guide.html

I reckon westferry is where mrs g will be basing herself.

Any better suggestions out there??

Gavlor wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/london/10711942/London-Marathon-2014-spectators-guide.html

I reckon westferry is where mrs g will be basing herself.

Any better suggestions out there??

Mrs TRR will be there too. That's where she has in the past and in her professional opinion it's the best spot on the course as get to see people at 14 and 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Been thinking about what top to wear on April 13th. I'd like to wear my club top/vest. Would that be a bit naff (I'm in Blue start group) or does it matter at all or would it draw unwanted attention to the fact that it is not a UK club?

Or are these thoughts/concerns just more taper madness?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RedRunner wrote: »

Got it in one. Pure taper madness.

Wear anything, except a mankini.

The only people who have to wear specific club colours are the championship and elite people, but even then it's only ever going to be noticed if you win.

Edit: Just remembered that Bristol & West AC missed out on a team prize last year as their sub-elite runners was wearing sponsor kit rather than the club vest so wasn't counted in the results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Track your runner!

On Race Day – Sunday 13 April – the front page of the Virgin Money London Marathon website will feature a button that allows you track a runner at every 5km point on the course.

All you need to do is click the track-a-runner button, enter the runner’s surname to find your runner, and then at every 5kms and at the halfway point, you will be able to see their elapsed time since they crossed the start line.

So whether you want to track your runner so you can spot them on Race Day, or you’ll be supporting them from the sofa, use this handy tracking service to follow their progress.

Remember this feature will only go live on the website on Race Day!
    Hoping that it is simple enough for my technically challenged armchair supporters to figure out without them needing to phone me up before the start to tell them how to turn the computer on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RedRunner wrote: »
    Been thinking about what top to wear on April 13th. I'd like to wear my club top/vest. Would that be a bit naff (I'm in Blue start group) or does it matter at all or would it draw unwanted attention to the fact that it is not a UK club?

Haha, think about it over a few pints at the weekend!!

Fwiw I'll be sporting my WAC vest

Gavlor wrote: »
    Haha, think about it over a few pints at the weekend!!

Fwiw I'll be sporting my WAC vest

I know I know.....im a feckin eejit!

I'll be wearing my Tallaght AC vest and no doubt TRR will be wearing his westbury harriers one ;)

I'd just like to thank meno, digger and claralara for sponsoring me 10 euro each*. I don't normally raise money for charity while running marathons but I have a couple of sponsorship cards for a school for kids with autism (Abacas, Kilnamanagh). All money raised will go directly to the school principal (as much of a bollox I am I won't be taking a TRR administration fee :)) I will be gratefully accepting donations (of the monetary kind) in the coal hole post marathon ;)

*May be the first they are hearing of it

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

I agree Westferry is a good place to support, it's a bit crowded but at 20miles you can be right on the road with the runners.

It's starting to get very real now, I have been trying to get in for years and now it's under 2weeks away. Proverbial bags of cotton all over me and hand sanitiser in man-bag.

I at the Blue start, how early should I get there?

Off to resurrect my checklist (of epic proportions) that I refined for Dublin... I can only take one bag on the plane though...

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    I at the Blue start, how early should I get there?

Will depend on a few things such as weather and where you are getting on the trainline to Blackheath. If getting on at Charring Cross then other than a queue you will get on a train simple enough, if you are getting on at a subsequent station along the line then you could find yourself stuck on the platform as the trains go past already packed to the rafters. It's 20 minute train from Charring Cross, then you'll have another short walk from Blackheath station to the Blue start.

Think I'll be aiming to be on the train from Charring Cross around about 8am, that leave me plenty of time to get the head in order and faff a suitable amount before the start.

robinph wrote: »
    Think I'll be aiming to be on the train from Charring Cross around about 8am, that leave me plenty of time to get the head in order and faff a suitable amount before the start.

I will be doing the typical Irish thing and following you like a lost sheep :)

TRR wrote: »
    I will be doing the typical Irish thing and following you like a lost sheep :)

I've a few people to tow along to the start now. Think we'll have to tie you all together so that I don't loose anyone and can then release each of you at the appropriate start zone.

Any plans or ideas for meeting up for pre-race meal on the Saturday evening? Would be good to say hello before the big gig!

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Better to turn up a under trained than over trained

Are you in red start? Might see you for a coffee before hand:)

In the blue start, no 12xxx i think. I plan on having a few London Pride in the park beforehand:)

Advertisement