Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good luck to everyone running on Sunday. I had to withdraw at the weekend. Hopefully next year. Will be watching on and tracking with interest. I've no doubt there are gonna be some super times.

ps If anyone is looking for a last minute flight for someone there is a Saturday morning/return Monday flight free. I don't want anything for it so you'd just have to pay the name change fee whatever that is with Cityjet. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Living in London at the mo and would love to go in to sample the atmosphere a bit but then watch the end of the elite men's race. Would you get into any pubs to see it anywhere? Or have they big screens anywhere? Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Living in London at the mo and would love to go in to sample the atmosphere a bit but then watch the end of the elite men's race. Would you get into any pubs to see it anywhere? Or have they big screens anywhere? Thanks.

Probably depends on where in London you are.

I'd say watching somewhere around Tower Bridge would be good for the atmosphere, or Cutty Sark. Tower Bridge area would still give you a good bit of time to get to a pub with a screen on before the finish, but worth checking if they are open at that time and have screens first. Otherwise try sneaking into a hotel around there and you'll probably find a screen on in their bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Hey Robin, another one for you (you should be on commission from the organisers).

I'm staying about 3 miles from the start line in Lewisham & was gonna jog down to the green start at Maze Hill. My mates were under the impression that I'd have to make my way to Charring Cross to then make my way back to Maze Hill. I'm assuming I can make my own way through the park on foot to the start line??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Coal Hole didn't have Sky Sports

Well that pub just went up in my estimation!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Hey Robin, another one for you (you should be on commission from the organisers).

I'm staying about 3 miles from the start line in Lewisham & was gonna jog down to the green start at Maze Hill. My mates were under the impression that I'd have to make my way to Charring Cross to then make my way back to Maze Hill. I'm assuming I can make my own way through the park on foot to the start line??

Yes, walk down to the start line. No reason at all to go to Charring Cross. Have walked from down that direction myself for the start many many moons ago.

The Green Start is right in the middle and the smallest of the start areas, but will have no problem finding it.

I'll be taking my commission in liquid form in The Coal Hole. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well that pub just went up in my estimation!

They'll be getting it in to show the GAA matches I heard :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

TRR wrote: »
    what? is this still the case? ****e. Wanted to keep an eye on City vs Liverpool!

I'll be in after the football so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'll be in after the football so!

Course closes at 5 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

what? is this still the case? ****e. Wanted to keep an eye on City vs Liverpool!

They didnt have it last year either, it was the day Suarez bit Ivanovic. Its not the norm to have football in pubs over here as odd as that might sound.

I asked the barman on Sunday night and they still have no sky. The free wifi still works well though.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Course closes at 5 :pac:

Hardy har!!

RACE DAY WEATHER UPDATE: The weather for race day is looking good so far.
    Patchy clouds with sunny spells are expected throughout the day. There may be a mist in the morning but it should mostly clear before 10am. The temperature will be 5c-6c at the lowest, 15c-17c at the highest, and will peak around 1-2pm. We can expect light NW winds at no stronger than 10m/ph, and low humidity at 50%. There will be a 30% chance of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Username|Race Number|PB|Target time:|Actual Time:
    neilc|31529||<3:14:59|
    robinph|31227|2:56:58|~2:53|
    RedRunner|1751|4:27:10|3:44:59|
    TRR|968|2.36.28|2:3X:XX|
    JB|12xxx|3:05|2:59:XX|
    Abhainn|315xx|2:36:21|2:38:XX|
    Gavlor|31702|3:00:04|2:5X:XX|
    Polster|43144|n/a|<3:29:59|

First marathon, excited and crapping it in equal measures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

neilc|31529|3:10:28|<3:14:59|

Edit to add PB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

neilc|31529|3:10:28|<3:14:59|
    BeepBeep67|32241|2:57:50|#174|

God willing Sunday will be my 174th consecutive day, my target is 174mins and my number (322)41 at a stretch is telling me the same thing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

London restaurants giving free meals to runners, Smollensky's on the strand is one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/10750325/London-Marathon-2014-free-restaurant-meals-for-runners.html

For the night before, someone mentioned the Italian done the side of Charing Cross, I have eaten there a few times (over 5 years ago mind) and it was always good.

Will update the table with my 3:05 goal when I get to a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Very impressive targets here for Sunday. I'll be there with a simple target of getting a shiny medal and hopefully a small PB (4.27 from DCM 12). Best of luck to all and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you on Sunday. Anyone here going from the Strand Palace to the blue start? I need someone to follow ;)

Runchick wrote: »
    Very impressive targets here for Sunday. I'll be there with a simple target of getting a shiny medal and hopefully a small PB (4.27 from DCM 12). Best of luck to all and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you on Sunday. Anyone here going from the Strand Palace to the blue start? I need someone to follow ;)

There are loads of us going that way as the Red Good For Age start is reached the same direction. Walk out the door of the hotel, turn right, walk to Charring Cross and there will be loads of barriers and signs up telling you where to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck to everyone heading to London, it's a fantastic weekend :-) Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'm going to Blue start too from the Strand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

RedRunner wrote: »
    I'm going to Blue start too from the Strand

Brilliant RR I'll be following you then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Brilliant RR I'll be following you then :p

And I'll be following the rest of the gang! :-)

Otherwise it'll be a case of the blind leading the blind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

It's official! Today I started $hitting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

The very best of luck to all the boardies running this at the weekend. Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Haha, hit me this morning as well.

Haha, hit me this morning as well.

Don't stand between TRR and the fan when he's throwing stuff at it.

I don't know why and I'm not sure if I like it but I've never been so relaxed about a marathon before. No doubt that will change between now and Sunday morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Gavlor wrote: »
    I don't know why and I'm not sure if I like it but I've never been so relaxed about a marathon before. No doubt that will change between now and Sunday morning!

I reckon that's good, I've run my best times when I've felt like that (although I never came within an asses roar of your target time)

I reckon the slight step back coz of the niggles might actually be of benefit come Sunday.

Anyway good luck with it.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Niggle feckin' city over here! Feeling aches and pains in all limbs and upper back!!
    Hopefully just taper madness. :)
    Also currently agonising on how I'll setup my watch, what does everyone else do? (13 months since I did a goal marathon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

neilc wrote: »
    Also currently agonising on how I'll setup my watch, what does everyone else do? (13 months since I did a goal marathon).

I'm going to try pressing the lap button at each mile marker this time. Autolap is off, autopause off.
    Fields on the display are current lap average pace, number of laps and average lap time. This last field, providing your number of laps matches the number of miles you have done will work out your total average mile split according to the course (Even if you miss a marker press lap twice at the next one and it will still be OK). So no danger of coming up short if your GPS has accuracy issues due to tall buildings etc.

Not done it this way before but it sounds good.

Advertisement