Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Runchick wrote: »
    Very impressive targets here for Sunday. I'll be there with a simple target of getting a shiny medal and hopefully a small PB (4.27 from DCM 12). Best of luck to all and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you on Sunday. Anyone here going from the Strand Palace to the blue start? I need someone to follow ;)

Indeed, some impressive targets! I'll be joining the 3:56 pacers so hope to come in a few mins under the 4 hours if all goes to plan. Also starting in the blue area so might tag along from the Strand as well. I was in Paris this weekend and I watched the start and end of the marathon, watching those runners at the end started to make me nervous! But actually getting excited now, last small run completed this evening so just the waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Username|Race Number|PB|Target time:|Actual Time:
    neilc|31529|3:10:28|<3:14:59|
    robinph|31227|2:56:58|~2:53|
    RedRunner|1751|4:27:10|3:44:59|
    TRR|968|2.36.28|2:3X:XX|
    JB|12xxx|3:05|2:59:XX|
    Abhainn|315xx|2:36:21|2:38:XX|
    Gavlor|31702|3:00:04|2:5X:XX|
    Polster|43144|n/a|<3:29:59|
    BeepBeep67|32241|2:57:50|#174|
    Ainsyjnr|12xx|3:14:40|<3:05:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

Registered yesterday, straight forward. Had the missus and kids in tow so spent a few hrs out there, mainly because there were some games and stalls the kids were enjoying. Was very quiet but will obviously get busier as week goes on. Nice Lager samples at the fullers stall.

Large Adidas shop area, but if you are looking to make a purchase, when you leave the exhibition area you get a goody bag which includes a voucher for 26.2% off in certain adidas stores, unfortunately not the one at the exhibition. One of them is on Oxford street, so good and central if looking for any gear and like a discount.

Loads of food stalls outside main exhibition area, very expensive and not the greatest food, fills a gap if out there for a while. If not hanging around though, would recommend heading back into London or wherever you are heading for better options.

For any Liverpool fans, Michael Owen was doing a talk yesterday. Me young lad had his Liverpool jersey on so we grabbed him for a photo. Was very sound to be fair, so I didn't mention anything about traitory. I did ask him to name one player he thinks Liverpool might go for in the Summer, without hesitation he said Coentrao and Micah Richards, I asked about another striker, he said they'll try for another forward player, but priority is defence and keeping the top players already there. HE thinks they'll beat City and Chelsea and win the league this year and is gutted he'll miss the game on Sunday. He aiming to get around in under 4hrs, so might see him on way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

BBC Radio 6 are putting together a running playlist at the moment ahead of the race. Great tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

ainsyjnr wrote: »

Technically challenged and can't seem to work my forecast into the table. Here's my objective: Race number: 27949; PB: 3:11:47; hoping to get <3:10:00.

See everyone afterwards in the Coal Hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

The very best of luck to everyone running on Sunday, looking forward to reading the race reports next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

jahaco|27949|3:11:47|<3:10:00|
    overpronator|55096|3:26:xx|3.19.xx|

Added in jahaco also

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    BBC Radio 6 are putting together a running playlist at the moment ahead of the race. Great tunes.

Do many people listen to music on the way round does anyone know? I gave up listening to music while I run a few years back, would never go back to it. I've done some long cycles and can be good banter with others along the way, I'm guessing maybe not so much during a marathon? Probably wouldn't have the energy for it after a while anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Polster wrote: »
    Do many people listen to music on the way round does anyone know? I gave up listening to music while I run a few years back, would never go back to it. I've done some long cycles and can be good banter with others along the way, I'm guessing maybe not so much during a marathon? Probably wouldn't have the energy for it after a while anyway.

There are bands every few miles, going under one of the underpasses and there is usually a bunch of lads with some loud drums making a racket and that really sends a tingle down your spine, loads of crowds all the way along to cheer you on. There really is no quiet points on the route where you'd be bored and need some music to listen too, also you'll end up tripping people up if wearing headphones ... so don't.

The only really quiet bit I can think of is going through a tunnel just before you get to The Embankment towards the end, you only have a few miles to go but it is a nice calm spot to compose yourself just before the final push.

Serious question, been doing well with not drinking much, nothing for two weeks now. If I were having 2 pints on Saturday evening, do you think that is a bad idea. Going to meet some family in the local Saturday evening, was thinking might be ok with a couple of shandys, may even help me relax and sleep better, or should I just steer clear?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Serious question, been doing well with not drinking much, nothing for two weeks now. If I were having 2 pints on Saturday evening, do you think that is a bad idea. Going to meet some family in the local Saturday evening, was thinking might be ok with a couple of shandys, may even help me relax and sleep better, or should I just steer clear?

Would depend on how big a deal Sunday is and how used to the drink you are?

If Sunday is a major goal race then stay clear of the drink, if it's just doing it for the experience then a pint wouldn't do much harm if you're used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

that's a great idea, not just a route film but the route with all the spectators, and the runners on the other side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Would it be worth it do you think? I'd say 1, maybe 2 bottles would do you no harm but if you've been training for 3/4 months to race* London why put that in jeopardy by risking a dodgy pint?

* Like robinph asked - I'm not sure if you're going out to race it flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

best of luck on Sunday Robin, I won't be watching it as I'm running the Cobh 10 (not as glamorous as London but hey, gotta race :D)

Best of luck to all boardsies on Sunday too, all the wet winter months of donkey work is about to pay off...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to all running this on Sunday.
    I'll be tracking as many of you as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

best of luck everyone, looking forward to some good results

Beef wrote: »
    Would it be worth it do you think? I'd say 1, maybe 2 bottles would do you no harm but if you've been training for 3/4 months to race* London why put that in jeopardy by risking a dodgy pint?

* Like robinph asked - I'm not sure if you're going out to race it flat out.

Aye, that is all I needed to hear, lost the run of myself there for a bit, 6 months hard bloody grafting, I can wait till after the race for a few dodgy beers

Cheers

Aye, that is all I needed to hear, lost the run of myself there for a bit, 6 months hard bloody grafting, I can wait till after the race for a few dodgy beers

Cheers

Which reminds me...
    ... Nice Lager samples at the fullers stall.

It's ale.

Really need to educate you guys on proper beers. We'll have none of that fizzy foreign lager rubish thank you very much. :D

robinph wrote: »
    Which reminds me...

It's ale.

Really need to educate you guys on proper beers. We'll have none of that fizzy foreign lager rubish thank you very much. :D

Nope, they have a selection of their own bottled beers as well, forget the name of this one (Edit - Frontier Craft Lager), nice kind of fruity lager, 100% lager though mate. I have been living in London for the last 8 years, I know my ales versus my lagers :)

• Advertisement

This is the bad boy, http://www.fullers.co.uk/?id=31&pressid=206

Frontier Craft Lager, 4.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just a little FYI there - Fullers do a brewery tour with a tasting, but it's only open weekdays. Something for tomorrow or Monday for anyone who is coming early or staying late :)

This is the bad boy, http://www.fullers.co.uk/?id=31&pressid=206

Frontier Craft Lager, 4.5%

My apologies, I thought you might have been a blow in who needed some education for a minute. :)

There are some nice craft lagers about these days alright. We'll just not mention any of that HeinBudBerg stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

So let me get this straight. He came on looking for advice about drinking or not before the race, decided not to, and now you're sending him to a brewery! :D

robinph wrote: »
    My apologies, I thought you might have been a blow in who needed some education for a minute. :)

There are some nice craft lagers about these days alright. We'll just not mention any of that HeinBudBerg stuff.

Aye, you are right, super selection of beers in general over here, love the variety, I never know what I might fancy till I get to the bar. Can't beat a nice cold pint of Peroni though. I have one of them Bavarian Beer houses just beside where I work in Tower Hill, and they are great for a session, top beers, Erdinger, Bitburger, and the grub is top notch. Starting to froth at the mouth now, roll on end of this run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

STOP F&CKING TALKING ABOUT BEER

:mad:

Please and thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Anyone here know if the 2015 GFA times will stay the same or are they changing?
    Jumping the gun a bit i know but just thinking ahead.
    Running Boston next week and dont really want to run another to qualify for next year.
    Big difference in GFA with london/boston
    sub 3:05 in london for 40yo and a handy sub 3:15 in Boston.
    For some reason you have to be 41 before the time goes out for london, whats that all about?
    Best of luck to all going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all those running this weekend....keep the faith and ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Advertisement