Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

CL/ Digger 3:55:48

A la KC & KU??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

A la KC & KU??
    Yip :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ha ha you are shower of bastards. I was at the meeting point with my body in a state of cramp and I get a text from ecoli asking could I not have found another 4 seconds. Then I come on here and get the piss taken out of me for being chicked and Brian sticks up a horrific photo :) I just love that marathon. I had a few sticky spots, as early as 7 miles bits its just such a fast course and the support had to be witnessed to be believed today. I guess the good weather and the gact no was running contributed as well. I tried to rally for the sub 2.35 but my legs were so close to cramp it wasn't funny. Not windmills or celebrations today, it was eyeballs out to the line and I was too ****ed to lift my arms anyway. I enjoyed reading back over the posts from this morning. Thanks for you good wishes. I'm now off to put on an exhibition of drinking not seen I. The coal hole since the pogues had their Christmas party in there and invited Richard Harris along as their wing man.

Runchick 40k 4:18

Come on Angie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dory Dory wrote: »
    How about BeepBeep?

Looks like he is in the DNF club with me. We'll cordon off an area of the coal hole and drown our sorrows :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Excuse spellings above, on phone and too lazy to correct. I'd like to stress I haven't had a drink yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Delighted for you Dave. Superb.

Runchick 4:19:03

Congrats Angie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The marathon experience encapsulated in all its glory and pain in 1 thread. Well done on some some truly fantastic results and hard luck to those who had a poor day today. Enjoy the coal hole no matter what!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done to everyone who ran this today.

It looked amazing on TV today, I'll have to find some way of scamming the system to get in for 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So Digger is NEVER running another marathon... You heard it here first!! And I have video evidence with 800m to go.

Huge congrats to TRR, Gavlor, RR, Runchick - delighted for yee. Pity about meno and BB but well help them forget all about it in the coal hole later.

And in relation to those crucial seconds Dave, we were just surmising in Room 677 whether it might be a Tallaght thing?!! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I just noticed that Polster ran 2:59:28 on his marathon debut!
    Exceptional performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Loved reading this thread, made me a bit envious that I wasn't there running myself :D

Well done to all those who ran today, some amazing times. And to those who it didn't go well for today, chin up, there'll be other days hopefully. Enjoy the few beers and stay safe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Was neilc running London?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

tang1 wrote: »
    Was neilc running London?

Yes. 3:28:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Thanks everyone. That was one tough session. The heat was bit of a bitch. At mile 19 I thought my race was over. Both legs completely seized up on me with cramp. Managed to get going again. By mile 22 I was spent and it was a bit of a run walk strategy from then on. Still , mixed emotions that I missed my goal but delighted with new pb by 35 mins. I suppose that is worth celebrating. Now where is the nearest pub. oh yeah...it's across the road!....later folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Beef wrote: »
    The marathon experience encapsulated in all its glory and pain in 1 thread. Well done on some some truly fantastic results and hard luck to those who had a poor day today. Enjoy the coal hole no matter what!
    +
    + 1 , have a super time, pity Michael Higgins is gone home:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR passing me

Smallest stride ever.

well done man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Back at the hotel phone died earlier.
    Disappointing day for me, knew from 6 miles that my breathing was laboured. HR kept climbing and despite slowing a few times 1. Let's aim for a PB and 2. Let's just run sub 3, I just couldn't control my breathing or HR. Even done a brief walk run strategy in the hope to get going again but once I ran again I was back in discomfort.
    Stopped at a cop at 15.8 got directions to the DLR and eventually the Tube. Took a bit of a turn on the Tube and ended up passing out, came around on the platform thanks to a kind doctor and his son with my legs elevated and him taking my pulse. He was a gent and walked me back to Lorraine once I had recovered.
    Good craic back at the Hole nonetheless and I'm doing fine.
    Relax and recover and hit the short stuff for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Very sorry to hear that BB. Not fair. Just as well you had sense enough to stop. Rest up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

I sympathise greatly with those who prepared well but did not get their due reward today.

But spare a thought for the two sisters mentioned on the BBC website:

"Sisters Katie, 23, and Polly Ryall, 21, from Newbury, Berkshire, fell short of their quest to become the fastest pair of female siblings to run a marathon.

The pair needed a combined time of five hours, nine minutes and 14 seconds to break the record, but knew before they finished they had not achieved it."

So they needed to average under 2.35 to do it - faster than the Olympic qualifying time for 2012 as far as I can recall.

I couldn't resist checking their times - would you believe Kate 4.26 and Polly 4.50? Total 9.16 - a mere 4 hours and 7 minutes too slow. Seems to me that they knew before they started they had no chance. Wouldn't your heart go out to them in their disappointment? Obviously better at PR than running - surprised the BBC fell for it though.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Back at the hotel phone died earlier.
    Disappointing day for me, knew from 6 miles that my breathing was laboured. HR kept climbing and despite slowing a few times 1. Let's aim for a PB and 2. Let's just run sub 3, I just couldn't control my breathing or HR. Even done a brief walk run strategy in the hope to get going again but once I ran again I was back in discomfort.
    Stopped at a cop at 15.8 got directions to the DLR and eventually the Tube. Took a bit of a turn on the Tube and ended up passing out, came around on the platform thanks to a kind doctor and his son with my legs elevated and him taking my pulse. He was a gent and walked me back to Lorraine once I had recovered.
    Good craic back at the Hole nonetheless and I'm doing fine.
    Relax and recover and hit the short stuff for the summer.

Sorry to hear about your ****e day, hope you are back to full health soon, good on you for listening to your body. Enjoy the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I couldn't resist checking their times - would you believe Kate 4.26 and Polly 4.50? Total 9.16 - a mere 4 hours and 7 minutes too slow. Seems to me that they knew before they started they had no chance. Wouldn't your heart go out to them in their disappointment? Obviously better at PR than running - surprised the BBC fell for it though.

Pahahaha, excellent! I was watching that and when they said they were going for 2.35 I had to laugh...Didn't know if they were seriously attempting it or just taking the mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Burgman wrote: »
    I sympathise greatly with those who prepared well but did not get their due reward today.

But spare a thought for the two sisters mentioned on the BBC website:

"Sisters Katie, 23, and Polly Ryall, 21, from Newbury, Berkshire, fell short of their quest to become the fastest pair of female siblings to run a marathon.

The pair needed a combined time of five hours, nine minutes and 14 seconds to break the record, but knew before they finished they had not achieved it."

So they needed to average under 2.35 to do it - faster than the Olympic qualifying time for 2012 as far as I can recall.

It wasn't just the BBC that fell for it, the story was on the Sky News website, Daily Mail and ITV website. This interview is particularly funny.

'To do it we both have to run 2.34 so we're just hoping for the best.'

TRR, are you listening? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

'We think we're in with a chance but you just don't know really.'

:pac:

vitani wrote: »
    'We think we're in with a chance but you just don't know really.'

:pac:

Confidence is a great thing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

3.26.27 & a 20min PB for me.

What an amazing race!! I must have looked like a right tool because I couldn't stop smiling the whole way round.

The wall of noise for the entire route gets the adrenaline going so much that I reckon the crowd support is worth about 5mins.

My aim was a 3.35 with 3.30 at a stretch. The legs just felt good and I fell into a comfortable pace that would have given me a sub 3.25 but the quads & calfs seized up in last 2 miles & I lost about 4mins. Still over the moon though.

A race I'd recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was a very tough day at the office me, but not entirely unexpected ( due to risking it by going off at a pace that I knew would be right on the limit) and not undeserved either (due to the lack of any training of a level appropriate for the times that I aim for). The wheels started to fall off around about 18, and I was then reduced to dragging myself along for the last six miles with a couple of walk breaks along the Embankment where I had to check my mental arithmetic (I really can do 5 miles in the 50 minutes before the GFA cut off... can't I?) and persuade the legs to start moving again. Eventually managed to struggle across the line in 3:01:47 so that got me my place sorted for next year.

Then things went even more badly as my body just decided to shut down. Quick check with the medical tent if me feeling so wasted was due to low sugar levels from the diabetes or just being knackered from the marathon. Blood glucose levels were fine, so I just dragged myself around to the meet up area and then to the pub. Was so wasted that I could barely lift my head of the table and could eat anything, even left a pint untouched. After an hours snooze back at the hotel though and all was well with the world again and now I just feel appropriately knackered for after having done a marathon.

Maybe I'll do some training for the next one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you left out the most important bit - who won the battle of brothers?

Advertisement