Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Polster

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I just noticed that Polster ran 2:59:28 on his marathon debut!
    Exceptional performance.

Cheers Yaboya, great stories on here, well done to everyone, great achievements, TTR unreal running, and for those that had problems, health is first thing, always more marathons. Poor guy that finished, collapsed and died :(

Really wasn't expecting that time myself. Just felt really strong for first 15/16 miles, but my lack of experience caught up with me and things got real tough. From mile 21 onwards I was paddling, from 23 I was dragging my feet along just trying not to walk, and thought I could get sub 3:05 if I just kept going. I was waiting for the 24miler marker and couldn't believe how long the mile was feeling, but then like a gift from heaven, it was the 25mile marker, so not sure if there isn't a 24 miler or I just missed it with my rapidly increasing daze.

Funny then when I was on birdcage walk, the young lad had a Wexford flag and my plan was to get that, and enjoy a nice last very light jog to the finish. They screamed for me, cause again the senses were fading, but then I started to sway over to them, and one of my missuses friends started screaming and waving down the way, go go go. I thought, bloody heck, so veared back on track and again by some miracle the legs found one last burst, mind and body were completely separated. Heard the guys on the speaker saying these were the sub 3hr runners, and Colin Murray laughing, saying how some of these would be only a few seconds over it and you may as well have run 4hrs if that was the case, well that was it, 385m marker, and legs were making their own shapes towards the line. The thing was, I thought the 3hr was never really on and had passed anyway, but didn't factor in that I started a couple of minutes after the clock started.

So missus rang me, they had my time, 2:59:28, wasn't going to be emotional on the phone, to cool for that, but was actually welling up inside. Rehydrated with some lovely cold beers.

Sorry for the essay, and well done to everyone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Legend Polster well done a wonderful debut. On a side note Colin Murray yet again demonstrates what an odeous little twerp he is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RayCun wrote: »
    you left out the most important bit - who won the battle of brothers?

I lost by 10 minutes. :(

I'll be back, and now have to smash his time out of the water again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Polster wrote: »
    Cheers Yaboya, great stories on here, well done to everyone, great achievements, TTR unreal running, and for those that had problems, health is first thing, always more marathons. Poor guy that finished, collapsed and died :(

Really wasn't expecting that time myself. Just felt really strong for first 15/16 miles, but my lack of experience caught up with me and things got real tough. From mile 21 onwards I was paddling, from 23 I was dragging my feet along just trying not to walk, and thought I could get sub 3:05 if I just kept going. I was waiting for the 24miler marker and couldn't believe how long the mile was feeling, but then like a gift from heaven, it was the 25mile marker, so not sure if there isn't a 24 miler or I just missed it with my rapidly increasing daze.

Funny then when I was on birdcage walk, the young lad had a Wexford flag and my plan was to get that, and enjoy a nice last very light jog to the finish. They screamed for me, cause again the senses were fading, but then I started to sway over to them, and one of my missuses friends started screaming and waving down the way, go go go. I thought, bloody heck, so veared back on track and again by some miracle the legs found one last burst, mind and body were completely separated. Heard the guys on the speaker saying these were the sub 3hr runners, and Colin Murray laughing, saying how some of these would be only a few seconds over it and you may as well have run 4hrs if that was the case, well that was it, 385m marker, and legs were making their own shapes towards the line. The thing was, I thought the 3hr was never really on and had passed anyway, but didn't factor in that I started a couple of minutes after the clock started.

So missus rang me, they had my time, 2:59:28, wasn't going to be emotional on the phone, to cool for that, but was actually welling up inside. Rehydrated with some lovely cold beers.

Sorry for the essay, and well done to everyone again.

Excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Philip Niland on 10k at 39:10
    2:52:38 finish - cracking time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I was reading up on the marathon. Was there a staggered start? Did Farrah start after some elite runners? How does this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

walshb wrote: »
    I was reading up on the marathon. Was there a staggered start? Did Farrah start after some elite runners? How does this work?
    There is a staggered start (waves), but not for elite runners. Mo and a couple of other runners decided not to join the Haile-paced group and instead started out at a slightly slower pace, hoping that the main group would tire themselves out. Didn't really work out for him, as he tired anyway, and Kipsang didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

In London for the 3rd time and now twice sub 2:40. Thought wheels were coming off around 17 miles but rose above that and last 10k simply flew by. A 2:37:51 finish. I"ll throw up a report in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

aero2k wrote: »

Philip was cracking along nicely until the last few miles when both hamstrings started causing problems and he had to ease the pace losing about 4 mins in final 5 miles. Great time nonetheless!

There is a staggered start (waves), but not for elite runners. Mo and a couple of other runners decided not to join the Haile-paced group and instead started out at a slightly slower pace, hoping that the main group would tire themselves out. Didn't really work out for him, as he tired anyway, and Kipsang didn't.

Thanks for that. The report I read wasn't that accurate. It said, or at least implied, that Mo started 30 seconds after the group. Then it went on to talk about how he could win the race and pass the leaders. I was thinking how is he expected to win the race when a group start off before him.

It was still a hell of a time for him in his first full race. I hope he keeps going at the distance. With Bekele's magnificent debut last week we could be in for some seriously competitive races.

Did you run London, Krusty? Haven't read through the thread!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. The report I read wasn't that accurate. It said, or at least implied, that Mo started 30 seconds after the group. Then it went on to talk about how he could win the race and pass the leaders. I was thinking how is he expected to win the race when a group start off before him.

It was still a hell of a time for him in his first full race. I hope he keeps going at the distance. With Bekele's magnificent debut last week we could be in for some seriously competitive races.

I'd be a bit cynical myself. He is an amazing middle distance runner but at 31 can't see him ever challenging these top guys at the marathon. So why do it when his actual image as one of the greats could be tarnished among the casual sports follower? £500,000 not a bad reason I guess. The publicity is obviously great for the event, but with the whole charitable focus, it doesn't great with me, seems a huge fee for basically a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

aero2k wrote: »

And he was in the office this morning :eek: - he was on 2:4x pace and got cramp in last few miles.
    Last few miles were 7m/m.

Polster wrote: »
    I'd be a bit cynical myself. He is an amazing middle distance runner but at 31 can't see him ever challenging these top guys at the marathon. So why do it when his actual image as one of the greats could be tarnished among the casual sports follower? £500,000 not a bad reason I guess. The publicity is obviously great for the event, but with the whole charitable focus, it doesn't great with me, seems a huge fee for basically a gimmick.

31 is young for marathon men, no? Geb ran his PB when aged in his mid 30s?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not in recent times! Most of the good Africans skipping the track and going straight to the marathon in their late teens/early 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

In the 90's 31 would have been very young for a marathon man, but no longer its become a young mans game and part of Mo's success on the track is directly due to the fact that African distance runners tend to move towards the Marathon now and not 5k/10k.
    There has been a drop off in standards on the tack directly related to the improvement in Marathon. The days of the ex track runner turning to the Marathon at the end of their career are well an truly over. From a young age Africans are targeting the Marathon and $$.
    I'm sure Mo can improve but can't see him winning a major or Olympic,

True, but I think the top marathon runners would have been doing those distances a lot younger, building up to performing those PB's later on. I could be wrong though, definitely no expert on it, bit of a blow in to all this marathon stuff. It will be interesting to see if he does pursue it at all.

I agree, it is now becoming a young man's game. I always questioned folks who seemed to think that mid to late 30s was peak for a marathon runner. The likes of Bekele running a 2.05 now. I would place money that had he decided to take up proper marathon running 6-7 years ago, that time would be lower. Same with Geb. 2008 he ran his PB. Supposedly aged 35. Probably closer to 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Fantastic experience!

Didn't get my goal of <3:05 but ran strong all the way for a 3:08:04. Main thing was that I didn't blow up which I had done in the last 3 marathons I had run. I had a wobble at 10 miles thinking that I wouldn't be able to maintain the pace till the end but pulled it back to be back on schedule at 14 miles. At 17 I started to find it hard again and although I tried to maintain the pace I was 15 secs a mile or so slower. This sort of stayed the same until 23 when I tried to push but there was nothing left and I just maintained the pace. Overtook wonder-woman in the closing stretch and also the fastest cowboy to cross the line having ran all the way for the first time.

Delighted to have done it, crowd support was amazing. Congratulations to everybody who completed it, some great times there. Good to meet up with some of you in the Coal Hole afterwards, I look forward to bumping into you at a later date.

I agree, it is now becoming a young man's game. I always questioned folks who seemed to think that mid to late 30s was peak for a marathon runner. The likes of Bekele running a 2.05 now. I would place money that had he decided to take up proper marathon running 6-7 years ago, that time would be lower. Same with Geb. 2008 he ran his PB. Supposedly aged 35. Probably closer to 40.
    Yep but at the time he was making enough money on the track setting world records. I would rather see him set records at 5/10k than at Marathon, but that's just my preference .

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Same with Geb. 2008 he ran his PB. Supposedly aged 35. Probably closer to 40.

Am I reading this right? Is there a theory that he lied about his age?

• Advertisement

RunRoryRun wrote: »

I have read several articles that question the authenticity concerning his age.

morceli wrote: »
    Yep but at the time he was making enough money on the track setting world records. I would rather see him set records at 5/10k than at Marathon, but that's just my preference .

Speaking of Farrah, I would like to see him target the 5 and 10 k records. Maybe a bit past it now for that to be a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Didn't go to plan for me yesterday. This training cycle went pretty well so on the day targeted a time of 3:07/3:08 which would have been 2-3 minute PB. By mile 12 crossing tower bridge I knew it wouldn't be my day. Not sure why it went so badly wrong, maybe just one of those days. Despite the death march really enjoyed the experience, the atmosphere around the whole course and particularly the high rise buildings was amazing. 3:28:00

Speaking of Farrah, I would like to see him target the 5 and 10 k records. Maybe a bit past it now for that to be a reality.
    Don't think it was every a reality. Would like to see how fast he can go but would really doubt that he is capable of going sub 12:40 for 5k and 26:30 for 10k. Think his pb's are right at his limit and if he managed a 12:48/9 for 5k that would be it, even 26:40 for 10k would be impressive.
    His 1500m time last year was amazing and if anything might have shown that his abilities for fast times were at 1500, mile and 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No, not since last year. I was an [F5] hitting spectator from the couch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RunRoryRun wrote: »

Not lied, just that no birth records are kept in that part of the world so it's just guesswork and I think based on how old the guy that give you a passport thinks you are at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bloody hell Brendan Foster was very negative about Mo Farah yesterday. 2:08 is great for a debut, Im sure he'd run a lot quicker next time but to listen to Foster it was game over for Mo and the marathon. Very silly comments from someone who should know better.

tunguska wrote: »
    Bloody hell Brendan Foster was very negative about Mo Farah yesterday. 2:08 is great for a debut, Im sure he'd run a lot quicker next time but to listen to Foster it was game over for Mo and the marathon. Very silly comments from someone who should know better.

Just got home so going to watch it now, but can predict exactly what rubbish Foster will come out with since last year. Presumably it goes something like before the start "Mo's guaranteed to win" to "Mo should never have done a marathon and I always said so" at the end.

They need to get a new commentator trained in to co-host with Cram now and retire Foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

robinph wrote: »
    Just got home so going to watch it now, but can predict exactly what rubbish Foster will come out with since last year. Presumably it goes something like before the start "Mo's guaranteed to win" to "Mo should never have done a marathon and I always said so" at the end.

They need to get a new commentator trained in to co-host with Cram now and retire Foster.

It was ridiculous what he was saying, it was along the lines of Mo has no business competing with people Like Kipsang, kebede, Mutai et al, he should scurry back to the track and leave marathon running to the big boys. I surprised that Steve cram and paula radcliffe didnt take him up on his comments to be honest.
    I think Mo ran a pretty good race, he was smart not to go with the pack at the start. He was never gonna win, I mean kipsang ran back to back 62s but I think he could've gone under 2:07 but he panicked after the 10k point and started to chase frantically instead of gradually winding things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Foster said at the very start that Mo basically had no chance of winning.

Advertisement