Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They have still not updated the GFA page to show the process and deadlines. But have info from someone who gave them a phone call and they said that the entry should open in the next couple of days and will remain open until July, presumably the beginning of July but there were no exact dates defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

robinph wrote: »
    They have still not updated the GFA page to show the process and deadlines. But have info from someone who gave them a phone call and they said that the entry should open in the next couple of days and will remain open until July, presumably the beginning of July but there were no exact dates defined.

Thanks for sharing that

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Updated today. We have to check back on 24th June.

https://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

It also states that accepted forms of ID are UK passport or UK driving licence even though you only have to he a UK resident. Any idea what you do yo get around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Updated today. We have to check back on 24th June.

https://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

It also states that accepted forms of ID are UK passport or UK driving licence even though you only have to he a UK resident. Any idea what you do yo get around this?

oops, looks like they are tightening things up big time. Lucky I have a UK driving license...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Surprising British birthcert isn't good enough! Just checked too, it takes six weeks if you were to apply for a British passport for the first time!! Wonder will it be open for long or just long enough to fill a certain amount of spaces like Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

They've obviously copped on to the amount of Paddy's roaming around on race day!

I had decided not to enter via the gfa route even if I did get a q time on Monday, seemed like an awful lot of hassle, but disappointed for all those who had already got their qualifying time and who thought they were shoe ins.

I wonder will the overseas ballot require a similar ID. I'd imagine so, we all better get applying for our UK driving licences.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    I wonder will the overseas ballot require a similar ID. I'd imagine so, we all better get applying for our UK driving licences.

I wouldn't think so, by definitition the overseas ballot is for non UK citizens.

Just thinking about the ID thing; I would imagine that they can't possibly enforce the UK passport/driving license thing for UK residents. There must be millions of non-nationals in the UK who would keep their passport and driving license from their home country. I think there must be a work around (perhaps they are just putting this on the website to ward people off). I'd say it is definitely worth a phonecall to clarify...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so, by definitition the overseas ballot is for non UK citizens.

Just thinking about the ID thing; I would imagine that they can't possibly enforce the UK passport/driving license thing for UK residents. There must be millions of non-nationals in the UK who would keep their passport and driving license from their home country. I think there must be a work around (perhaps they are just putting this on the website to ward people off). I'd say it is definitely worth a phonecall to clarify...

I have a UK driving licence, your 2014 entry is safe ;)

Your the perfect man actually; you couldn't give them a ring in the morning to ask what the story is? Don't mention your UK License.....(just for future reference- I'll have to do a marathon in my own name one of these days :p).

• Advertisement

Apologies, I meant the UK ballot (Although it may as well be a type of overseas ballot :P)

Your the perfect man actually; you couldn't give them a ring in the morning to ask what the story is? Don't mention your UK License.....(just for future reference- I'll have to do a marathon in my own name one of these days :p).

I'll do that in the morning so and report back on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you sure you wouldn't rather a sub 2:40? ;)

What's the Championship route like?

Are you sure you wouldn't rather a sub 2:40? ;)

What's the Championship route like?

Good question, i don't know anyone that entered that way. Assuming its just membership of a UK club and proof of the sub 2:40.

Anyway i'm sure the UK ID thing was an oversight on their part and you'll all be ok.

I'll do that in the morning so and report back on here.

Right guys phonecall made. It's the same as always, you have to be a UK resident. I asked her about what the website said about needing a UK passport or drivers licence and she said "no thats incorrect you just have to be a UK resident" and she said she would ask them to change it.

Date for the race is April 13th, a week earlier than usual, seems a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Right guys phonecall made. It's the same as always, you have to be a UK resident. I asked her about what the website said about needing a UK passport or drivers licence and she said "no thats incorrect you just have to be a UK resident" and she said she would ask them to change it.

Seeing as your magic worked and London 2014 are changing their entry requirements could ya ask them to take a re-look at the 3:05 QT also?
    Good man Brian!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks for the info Brianderunner :)

Date for the race is April 13th, a week earlier than usual, seems a strange one.

It could be due to Boston being on the 21st April?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

Great! Thanks Brian

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did they say how long they are leaving the entry open for? I'll be drinking cider in a muddy sunny field in Somerset on the 24th so online marathon entries will not be at the top of my list.

RubyK wrote: »

It could be due to Boston being on the 21st April?

Must be the reason yeah, clashing with Rotterdam is unusual though.
    Did they say how long they are leaving the entry open for? I'll be drinking cider in a muddy sunny field in Somerset on the 24th so online marathon entries will not be at the top of my list.

Didnt ask them about that tbh. London marathon office number is 02079020200 and dial 3 if you wanna ring em. The english accent will convince them it's not another worried paddy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Must be the reason yeah, clashing with Rotterdam is unusual though.

Easter Sunday is 20th April too, so that could be another reason :confused:

Must get my new UK address sorted soon, would love to do this one again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Thanks Brian

Is it just a screenshot of the results page which shows your time that is required, as not all marathons print off some form of certificate like Dublin ?.

Thanks Brian

Is it just a screenshot of the results page which shows your time that is required, as not all marathons print off some form of certificate like Dublin ?.

It says a pdf or similar on their page, and previously they have said a copy of a results page such as from a newspaper will do. There are certain UK marathons that they would not take the results from if they are not UKA registered races, the likelihood of any of you guys having done one of those events for qualifying is very small though so don't worry about that.
    They seem to be happy enough to take results from any international marathon though, and the other thing they are asking for is a URL link to the results so see if you can dig out that as well.

Which marathon is it that you have the time from?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Good work Brian. Meno get the sub 3.10 done over the summer and stop messing about :-)

London 2014, GFA or Championship start, that's the decision to be made. Oh and what poison to drink in the Cole Hole :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

It says a pdf or similar on their page, and previously they have said a copy of a results page such as from a newspaper will do. There are certain UK marathons that they would not take the results from if they are not UKA registered races, the likelihood of any of you guys having done one of those events for qualifying is very small though so don't worry about that.
    They seem to be happy enough to take results from any international marathon though, and the other thing they are asking for is a URL link to the results so see if you can dig out that as well.

Which marathon is it that you have the time from?

Killarney 2 weeks ago but hopefully Cork on Monday :D if I'm not being presumptuous !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good man Brian.

You have my details.

To all the ladies, I'm selling a London 2014 GFA entry, highest bidder wins. You must run a sub 2:55 for me.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Was reading back a few pages and when they said British passport I said shi%. I even booked accommodation with 20% paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Was reading back a few pages and when they said British passport I said shi%. I even booked accommodation with 20% paid.

Speaking of which, any recommendations for marathon friendly accomodation??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Gavlor wrote: »
    Speaking of which, any recommendations for marathon friendly accomodation??

We stayed in the mansions apartments at earls court road. Lovely area too. Stayed in andaz at Liverpool st 2011 and park plaza at westminister 2012(microwave in room). Apartments are The way to go. Might look exp but you spend nothing when you get there. 10 pounds a head did us a great shop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We stayed in the mansions apartments at earls court road. Lovely area too. Stayed in andaz at Liverpool st 2011 and park plaza at westminister 2012(microwave in room). Apartments are The way to go. Might look exp but you spend nothing when you get there. 10 pounds a head did us a great shop

Where have you booked for 2014? I'll have my trusty support crew if I'm going so will need a 2 or 3 bed apt. Place I stayed was handy enough though.

Advertisement