Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Where have you booked for 2014? I'll have my trusty support crew if I'm going so will need a 2 or 3 bed apt. Place I stayed was handy enough though.

Pm me your details and I will send you on details. Ask meno about them but then again he didn't see much on The Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathso

GFA opens tomorrow for a period of two weeks. Let the conning commence. Good luck to all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can't see a link to enter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathso

They must have forgot the link. Still not up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

London marathon office number is 02079020200 and dial 3 if you wanna ring em. The english accent will convince them it's not another worried paddy ;)

Bleeding useless.

They seem to have been taken by surprise that today is the 24th June and that they said they would have the page for applying online available on the 24th June. Just gave them a call and she didn't seem at all bothered that they have no idea when it will be setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

robinph wrote: »
    Bleeding useless.

They seem to have been taken by surprise that today is the 24th June and that they said they would have the page for applying online available on the 24th June. Just gave them a call and she didn't seem at all bothered that they have no idea when it will be setup.

I'm worried that the woman who was going to ask them to change the website was 'in the know' and makes decisions or someone who answers the phone and does as they are instructed... as well as the request to the link to the marathon results website for proof of time which shows 'From: IRL':(

carlton36 wrote: »
    I'm worried that the woman who was going to ask them to change the website was 'in the know' and makes decisions or someone who answers the phone and does as they are instructed... as well as the request to the link to the marathon results website for proof of time which shows 'From: IRL':(

I think that the woman I spoke with was the same voice that recorded their menu options that you hear on calling them.

More than a bit rubbish for them to not have put any update on the site yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

carlton36 wrote: »

not good !

Do I qualify?

You can apply for a good for age entry if you've run a full marathon in the same time, or faster than, the times listed below, please note the times must have been achieved since the 1st of January 2012:
    MenTime (in hours)WomenTime (in hours)Age 18 - 40sub 3:05Age 18 - 40sub 3:45Age 41 - 49sub 3:15Age 41 - 49sub 3:50Age 50 -59sub 3:20Age 50 -59sub 4:00Age 60 - 64sub 3:45Age 60 - 64sub 4:30Age 65 - 69sub 4:00Age 65 - 69sub 5:00Age 70 - 75sub 5:00Age 70 - 75sub 6:0076+sub 5:3076+sub 6.30
    How do I apply?

If you are a UK resident and have achieved a Good for Age qualifying standard (listed in the table above) you will need to return to this page on 24th June 2013 to enter, via a link hosted on this page. Applications must be made no later than the 8th of July at 5pm, late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
    To gain a Good for Age entry you are required to show us proof of your qualifying time in a Full Marathon (26.2 Miles) achieved from 1st January 2012 and proof of Identity.
    Accepted proof of result must be uploaded in the following format:
    Scanned PDF or similar format.
    URL link to the Marathon results site.
    Accepted proof of Identity must be uploaded in the following format:
    Scanned PDF or similar format of - UK Driving License (full or provisional) or UK Passport.
    Please note: The Good for Age entry category in the Virgin Money London Marathon is only open to UK residents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sosa wrote: »
    not good !

Do I qualify?

You can apply for a good for age entry if you've run a full marathon in the same time, or faster than, the times listed below, please note the times must have been achieved since the 1st of January 2012:
    MenTime (in hours)WomenTime (in hours)Age 18 - 40sub 3:05Age 18 - 40sub 3:45Age 41 - 49sub 3:15Age 41 - 49sub 3:50Age 50 -59sub 3:20Age 50 -59sub 4:00Age 60 - 64sub 3:45Age 60 - 64sub 4:30Age 65 - 69sub 4:00Age 65 - 69sub 5:00Age 70 - 75sub 5:00Age 70 - 75sub 6:0076+sub 5:3076+sub 6.30
    How do I apply?

If you are a UK resident and have achieved a Good for Age qualifying standard (listed in the table above) you will need to return to this page on 24th June 2013 to enter, via a link hosted on this page. Applications must be made no later than the 8th of July at 5pm, late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
    To gain a Good for Age entry you are required to show us proof of your qualifying time in a Full Marathon (26.2 Miles) achieved from 1st January 2012 and proof of Identity.
    Accepted proof of result must be uploaded in the following format:
    Scanned PDF or similar format.
    URL link to the Marathon results site.
    Accepted proof of Identity must be uploaded in the following format:
    Scanned PDF or similar format of - UK Driving License (full or provisional) or UK Passport.
    Please note: The Good for Age entry category in the Virgin Money London Marathon is only open to UK residents

I'm banking on them agreeing that a uk resident might not have a uk DL and i don't yet qualify for a uk passport.....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Q7 wrote: »

Query SELECT * where (Nationality = Ireland) AND (UK athletics running club = "")
    Delete record;

Query SELECT * where (Nationality = Ireland) AND (UK athletics running club = "")
    Delete record;

What you mean Krusty ? Put it in simple terms for the dopes. Of course I understand you. LOL

What you mean Krusty ? Put it in simple terms for the dopes. Of course I understand you. LOL
    I was kidding; suggesting that they might filter out any submissions where a person's nationality is Irish and they aren't a member of a UK club. Unfortunately I think we shot ourselves in the foot by taking advantage a little too much this year and the Irish times article was probably the nail in the coffin.

Personally, I'm re-considering going to London next year. It was a fantastic experience, but I'm thinking that Barcelona may be worth another visit. I might even finally pop my Rotterdam cherry (and accept the risk that it may turn out to be another hot one). The only thing that puts me off is those damn water cups. Tokyo.... Hmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was kidding; suggesting that they might filter out any submissions where a person's nationality is Irish and they aren't a member of a UK club. Unfortunately I think we shot ourselves in the foot by taking advantage a little too much this year and the Irish times article was probably the nail in the coffin.

I think we are just being a little paranoid in this thread. There are hundreds of thousands of Irish people living in the UK (not to mention a couple of million of them up north), a few extra boardsies is going to go largely unnoticed.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think we are just being a little paranoid in this thread. There are hundreds of thousands of Irish people living in the UK (not to mention a couple of million of them up north), a few extra boardsies is going to go largely unnoticed.

Interesting in hOw we can pay for this ...Krusty send us on that article link if you have it . I entered anyway.

Interesting in hOw we can pay for this ...Krusty send us on that article link if you have it . I entered anyway.
    It was a harmless/humorous article. Just an Irish Times journalist/interviewer (who probably follows this thread) who was talking about the number of Irish running in London and made some veiled comments about good for age entries. You can be sure that whoever is managing the 'good for age' process in London was sent a link (and probably watches this thread too). Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching. We should all wear tin-foil underpants, just in case. I've been wearing mine since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

It was a harmless/humorous article. Just an Irish Times journalist/interviewer (who probably follows this thread) who was talking about the number of Irish running in London and made some veiled comments about good for age entries. You can be sure that whoever is managing the 'good for age' process in London was sent a link (and probably watches this thread too). Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching. We should all wear tin-foil underpants, just in case. I've been wearing mine since April.

Would they be compression tin-foil underpants?

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    Would they be compression tin-foil underpants?
    Yes. Caffeinated tropical flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Surely if they really want to restrict it to UK residents, and close off this loophole, they would ask you to produce proof of residency (e.g. household bill, official document with your name and address on it etc.) when submitting your application, rather than proof of nationality (which is essentially what they're asking for at the moment).

The way it's set-up at the moment gives the impression of a polite request for non-UK residents to not use this approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

...Krusty send us on that article link if you have it .

Here it is.
    The media guide that acts as something of a bible to reporters covering this event suggests that there were just 56 competitors from the Republic of Ireland in yesterday’s race but the size of the crowd with Dunne in a pub on The Strand, a few hundred metres from the finish line, suggested that the figure might just be understated with the greater ease of entry available to British residents perhaps helping to explain the anomaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Peckham wrote: »
    Here it is.

A quick search through the 2013 results by Nationality gives nearly 300 Irish runners. Media guide isn't up to date me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Peckham wrote: »
    Here it is.

Dunne should have kept her mouth shut;) if the GFA Irish-faux-UK-residency goes pear-shaped we know who to blame:)
    I'm off to buy beetroot flavoured tin-foil compression shorts AND socks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I agree with Meno - I don't think there'll be any difference this year to the past couple of years.
    Unfortunately, this won't be impacting on me regardless (No GFA time)!

Marthastew wrote: »
    Dunne should have kept her mouth shut;) if the GFA Irish-faux-UK-residency goes pear-shaped we know who to blame:)
    I'm off to buy beetroot flavoured tin-foil compression shorts AND socks;)
    In her defense, Ms Dunne was a UK resident at the time the interview took place. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

belcarra wrote: »
    I agree with Meno - I don't think there'll be any difference this year to the past couple of years.
    Unfortunately, this won't be impacting on me regardless (No GFA time)!

either has meno :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What's the problem? You don't have to be a UK resident to join a UK club and enter the championship, do you? :confused:

RayCun wrote: »
    What's the problem? You don't have to be a UK resident to join a UK club and enter the championship, do you? :confused:

Seemingly you now need a copy of a bill with address on it......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Is it me or was this "Proof of UK Residence" field just added in the past few hours? I was about to submit my application earlier but needed to scan my passport and when I came back just now, my session has timed out, I refreshed and this blasted field is now there...bummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

jebuz wrote: »
    Is it me or was this "Proof of UK Residence" field just added in the past few hours? I was about to submit my application earlier but needed to scan my passport and when I came back just now, my session has timed out, I refreshed and this blasted field is now there...bummer!
    Must be new - I completed the form this morning and was not asked for this. I suspect they will come back to me for this. Any way around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Q7 wrote: »
    Must be new - I completed the form this morning and was not asked for this. I suspect they will come back to me for this. Any way around this?

It's time to be creative!

Advertisement