Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting in carlow

Options
  • 15-04-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to rent in Carlow?Or even a good place to look for lettings? I am looking to rent either a one or 2 bed place, enough space to have some form of office even if it was in a corner in a sitting room would be great. Ideally, I'd love a little house, fireplace etc but if that can't be, then an apartment would be grand!
    My issues are that I see plenty of places online but as I'm not entirely used to Carlow fully I'm not sure which areas are OK and where to avoid. Also, at the moment I would be looking for some place fairly low cost but if I got a full time job in the meantime I will bump that up to some place reasonably priced!!
    I think my main issues are trying to know where is good and where to avoid, where to find listings and I don't want sharing it's just going to be me and my BF.
    Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The only places I would avoid are John Sweeney Pk, Burrin Manor/Laurels (maybe), & the apartments across the river in Graigue, when you turn left at the traffic lights.

Otherwise everywhere is pretty ok, just be careful you don't rent a apartment in a complex with students. After that it is luck with neighbours etc.

They are a few different letting agents around so go and take a look at what they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have a look on daft.ie or there's two estate agents on dublin st, and one just at the end of tullow st whre it meets dublin st. so you could go see them all in one trip, have a quick peek at their offerings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

And there is also Ray Maher's Letting Agency opposite Hosey's Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jolou86

thanks everyone...it's tough enough to find someplace...I find some parts of carlow have fairly high rent, maybe too high? I'm not originally from here but some of the prices are a bit eek...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Michael_Dare

The flats in Carlow are poor value for money, costing almost as much as a house. Most of them were built in the bad years and are quite small inside. In terms of value for money, you'd be far better looking at a 3 bed semi. You'll find a decent house for €650, no problem. Trust me on this - stay away from flats in Carlow. It's studentville, and you will regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The flats in Carlow are poor value for money, costing almost as much as a house. Most of them were built in the bad years and are quite small inside. In terms of value for money, you'd be far better looking at a 3 bed semi. You'll find a decent house for €650, no problem. Trust me on this - stay away from flats in Carlow. It's studentville, and you will regret it.

This isn't true for all the flats.
    the flats at Riverdell there are actually pretty amazing for the money (considering the rest) and it's not bad whatsoever with students/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Hi, I moved from Dublin to Carlow before Christmas so I know how ya feel, it's tough finding a nice area when you know nothing about the area!

Carlow Property Management are great letting agents, you'll find them on Dublin Street, highly recommended.

As one poster said, avoid The Laurels and Burrin Manor, VERY dodgy areas.

We first lived on the Killeshin Rd but had to leave the house we were in cos of mold. The area was quiet and nice though so worth a look, though technically it's going into Laois :P

We're settled now in a house in Castlewood Gardens in Pollerton, can't recommend the Pollerton area enough it's quiet, lots of local amenities and seems well connected from motorways, railway station and the bus stops. Rent is reasonable too.

I viewed a few apartments and some were ok but were the same price (or more) as the house I'm in now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

ShelTomato wrote: »

We're settled now in a house in Castlewood Gardens in Pollerton, can't recommend the Pollerton area enough it's quiet,

Have the new arrivals in castlewood started causing trouble yet ?

Owryan wrote: »
    Have the new arrivals in castlewood started causing trouble yet ?

New arrivals?? Haven't had a jot of trouble in the 5 months we've been here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

ShelTomato wrote: »
    New arrivals?? Haven't had a jot of trouble in the 5 months we've been here!

Yeah, locals would know of them. The council housed them in castlewood recently. My gain, castlewoods loss lol.

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    Yeah, locals would know of them. The council housed them in castlewood recently. My gain, castlewoods loss lol.

Haha you have me feeling pretty wary now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lwei67

I was wondering if anyone, out there, specially in Carlow Town, knows if anyone has a well maintained house for rent, no more than €550 per month that is situated in a nice area, maximum 3 beds. Thank you if anyone could help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Renting in Carlow is a nightmare. There seemed to be more availability in shared accommodation (in or around Carlow town) but in terms of apartments, there is a serious scarcity about the town. I did several viewings with the likes of Ray Maher, O'Byrne, etc. and maybe it's because they are lopping on relatively big fees (passed on to the tenant), the accommodation I saw was way overpriced for what you were getting. I had to move outside the town to get a nice enough apartment at a fair price.

Also, weirdly, nearly all of the ads were through agents which is such a shame as I really prefer going through landlord directly.

Good luck!

Advertisement