Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balancing red and white meat in a week

Options
  • 15-04-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I am trying to reorganise dinners at the moment for the family. And I am trying to find a balance between red/white meat and trying to get some fish into the family's diet also.
    Our dinners have gotten lazy recently with an emphasis on red meat. So hopefully with a little planning - I can get dinners balanced out more.

I was thinking about going red one day & white the next day. And then trying to get fish in for the odd day. Would this be a healthy balance between red & white meat.

And do I put pork in with red or white:confused:

I'll try and get fish in on a second day also but that will be a while away as none of the family particularly like fish. So they have all agreed to try the fish - so hopefully in time they will develop a taste. At the moment it will have to be white fish only & I will have to disguise the taste of it too:o

How do ye organise your meat in the house...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Beef

Chicken

White fish (hake is particularly gorgeous and is often on special in Super Valu)

Lamb Steak

Chicken

Oily Fish (Salmon or Mackeral )

Pork

recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

youtube! wrote: »
    Beef

Chicken

White fish (hake is particularly gorgeous and is often on special in Super Valu)

Lamb Steak

Chicken

Pork

recycled.

There would be a revolution in my house if I gave them that:eek:

That is a really nice balance throughout the week though. So red meat three days, fish two days & white meat two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could use turkey mince in place of beef, or have a mixture of turkey & beef mince.

In some dishes it might go totally unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Thud

youtube! wrote: »
    Beef

Chicken

Lamb Steak

Chicken

Pork

recycled.

recycled = Soylent Green right??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    There would be a revolution in my house if I gave them that:eek:
    You can hide oily fish quite easily, mackerel makes lovely fish cakes for e.g., or you could try a fish pie or chowder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I use prawns at least twice a week. They're not 'fishy' at all. I usually make risottos or creamy pasta dishes with them, but I also put them on pizza. We'd have a roast chicken once every two weeks and use the leftovers in maybe a Caesar salad with bacon the next day (less leftovers with a family, obviously). Vegetarian meals are also an option. If you make your own pizzas, you can put whatever you like on them and people rarely notice the lack of meat on a pizza. Do a meat-light dish like pasta carbonara.

There's endless options, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

How do you normally cook fish? I'm not aiming this at you as I don't know you but I think a lot of people don't cook fish properly because they simply don't know how and assume you simply put it in a bit of foil and incinerate it or torture it in the pan until it's as dry and palatable as an old boot.

We have fish 2-3 times a week (for dinner), usually once a week for breakfast and it is probably THE best and healthiest protein source there is. The Spanish cook their fish beautifully so maybe look at some websites for some inspiration?

I'm having a delicious smoked haddock and butterbean with chorizo stew this evening done on a bed of spinach. I had paella last night made with big fat prawns and mussels. Later in the week I'll probably do some steamed cod (done with ginger, chilli and lemongrass). You could also look at doing a chowder or a Goan fish curry or a warming fish pie or tasty fish kebabs. There are endless possibilities and I know it's harder when you've kids but I really feel people don't eat enough fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My kid loves smoked mackeral, and salmon is practically pink cod, the texture is identical. We have smoked fish in kind of a kedgeree but without the egg. Or just on toast.

Any room in there for a meat-free dinner, or would there be a revolt? Eggs in a quiche or fritatta, lentils or beans all have plenty of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pork would be classed as a red meat I think. Though I wouldn't go getting too caught up in the whole white/red thing.

Just try and keep it balanced between beef/chicken/fish and obviously it would be great if you could get them to eat veggie sometimes too. Not sure how your family would react to that though.

But definitely would be great if you could get them eating a bit more seafood. I'd agree with Merkin that we don't eat enough fish in this country. So many people don't even like it. Bizarre really given we're an island nation with access to North Atlantic fishing waters.

Homemade fish and chips should go down well. If you oven cook the chips with freshly chopped potatoes, make your own breadcrumbs for the fish etc then it's healthy while still feeling like a bit of a treat as far as the kids are concerned. And easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

In fact there is no need and its probably harmful to eat as much meat as we do. Regardless of color.
    I'd go for 3 or 4 days of meat including fish and have something like a quiche, pasta, salad, pizza the other days.
    Not saying you can't have a little bit of diced bacon in your pasta sauce or anything. It's the big lumps of meat every day that are not good for us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement