Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia to BMW 3 series.

• 15-04-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Seriously considering upgrading 06 Octavia Tdi to a 07-08 BMW 3 Series Tdi either coupe or saloon.
    What are the things I should look out for.
    Best models to go for.

M Sport vs Sport vs Standard.

I would like a luxury model for a change as I have a skill in finding economy models in the past :(

Would I be better off trading in or selling private. I would prefer to buy off a dealer personally.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hmm, Id consider the space changes, AFAIK the 3 series is alot smaller interior and smaller boot that the Skoda.

Would that be an issue for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭monsterdev

Not an issue at all.
    Looking for similar economy and a bit smaller for city driving tbh. Octavia's can be awkward in dublin multi stories !
    Occasional trips to the west as well which would test out the economy !

Well the E90 is a beautiful looking machine provided you find a well looked after one. Id always for for MSport because it looks the best (to me) and will be easier to sell come sales time. But that also has the problem that it is more expensive come buying time.

The 320D, which i presume you are looking at would be the most common in the range in this country and they are very well documented in terms of items to look out for. Much has been covered in this forum and recently in 320D related threads so i would run a search on them to increase your overall knowledge.

Outside that i would have it checked over independently and also make sure that the vehicle is code read to verify mileage as these vehicles are suckers for clocking the dash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

monsterdev wrote: »
    M Sport vs Sport vs Standard.

There are 3 trim levels available :
    • ES
    • SE
    • MSport

Luxury comes after that, i know of SE models that are spec'd better than MSport models etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Sell private.

Buy in the UK.

End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kceire wrote: »
    There are 3 trim levels available :
    • ES
    • SE
    • MSport

Luxury comes after that, i know of SE models that are spec'd better than MSport models etc
    +1, it's very important to understand that the above are only packs incorporating a few options each. Beyond that it's down to the budget and taste of the original owner - there are quite literally millions of possible trim combinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Anan1 wrote: »
    +1, it's very important to understand that the above are only packs incorporating a few options each. Beyond that it's down to the budget and taste of the original owner - there are quite literally millions of possible trim combinations.

of which none are available second hand in Ireland, unless the car is a uk import.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056926224

have a read through here. Same questions answered.

The economy,running costs of the 318d vs 320d ?
    Which has the better engine ?
    Would I be sacrificing much going with the 318 ?
    I would be looking to get familiar with a good indy as I doubt I could bring a bmw to walsh motors in belfast, hes done me huge favours in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 3 Series may not be as big on the inside as the Octavia but on the outside there isn't much difference in size so it will be just as awkward in multi-stories. If you are doing mostly city driving and only the occasional cross country drive then buying a diesel might be unnecessary. The diesel engine in the 3 Series is also a lot more complex and prone to problems than the old 1.9 TDi found in the Octavia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The economy,running costs of the 318d vs 320d ?
    they both have a 2L engine, will be the same virtually, take a look at the below, Id take the 320d any day. has the same tax and running costs and good bit more poke...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E90)
    The 3 Series may not be as big on the inside as the Octavia but on the outside there isn't much difference in size so it will be just as awkward in multi-stories. If you are doing mostly city driving and only the occasional cross country drive then buying a diesel might be unnecessary.
    This! a 6th gear would be good for the odd motorway trip though and all E90's have these...

Cheers guys.
    They are alot slicker looking than the trusty old Octavia thats for sure anyway.
    I was sold on A4's for a long while, but they are just an octavia with a better badge in my opinion.
    Bmw seems like more excitement to me, with alot more for your money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they both have a 2L engine, will be the same virtually, take a look at the below, Id take the 320d any day. has the same tax and running costs and good bit more poke...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E90)

This! a 6th gear would be good for the odd motorway trip though and all E90's have these...

I would tend to avoid the m sport as the suspension is very hard combined with maybe 18 or 19 rims plus the runflats , hit a pothole and you could , damage the rim, or break your back

dharn wrote: »
    I would tend to avoid the m sport as the suspension is very hard combined with maybe 18 or 19 rims plus the runflats , hit a pothole and you could , damage the rim, or break your back

Then change the runflats.....

I certainly wouldnt avoid the Msport because the runflats are a terrible option on them. New tyres my friend. New Tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I (and my family) on the other hand cannot stand the standard SE suspension, IMO you are all over the place and way more prone to bottom out on our crappy wavey roads. MSport is way nicer and not hard (unless on Runflats, which are the tyres fault).

Ditch the runflats immediately IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I (and my family) on the other hand cannot stand the standard SE suspension, IMO you are all over the place and way more prone to bottom out on our crappy wavey roads. MSport is way nicer and not hard (unless on Runflats, which are the tyres fault).

Ditch the runflats immediately IMO.

Totally agree with this as I'm currently running my m-sport on normal tyres with 18inch wheels with no problems at all. It will not be as soft as the Octavia but will be betterplanted to the road for cornering. I've carried 4-5 in mine from time to time and never bottom out yet.

In a 320d?? I've put a good few miles up in a 320d SE on 16"s, and I find the suspension to be on the firm side. I think you'd really want to be caning it to bottom out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

In a 320d?? I've put a good few miles up in a 320d SE on 16"s, and I find the suspension to be on the firm side. I think you'd really want to be caning it to bottom out.

Ive never driven a 320d, but did drive several SE spec suspension setups.. all the same IMO... its designed as soft and bouncy. The road from Navan to Athboy is a perfect test for it, high speed + high "waves" as its a bog road. As are many roads around Meath. Hitting a speed ramp too hard is also an example of where you need a strong rebound dampening shock and high load spring.

Other than that, SE is equally $hit on cornering, roundabouts, diving on hard acceleration/braking etc. Its a moot point as its completely solved with the OEM offered MSport setup, which is perfect IMO. OP just buys that, done. SE spec is for wafting about slowly.. which IMO a 3 series isnt a great choice for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Surely the msport suspension is setup for runflat tyres p,by fitting softer standard tyres you are defeating the whole purpose of sport suspension, its like saying m sport suspension is grand if you change the springs and dampers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Don't mind matt. The guy has anger issues.

The SE suspension is plenty stiff and the car is still a lot of fun to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Surely the msport suspension is setup for runflat tyres p,by fitting softer standard tyres you are defeating the whole purpose of sport suspension, its like saying m sport suspension is grand if you change the springs and dampers

The SE has run flats too so the M Sport suspension is not uniquely designed for run flats.

I think some people here are over analyzing the firmness of the M Sport suspension set up. I went from a Volvo which had a very soft suspension to a M Sport without any claimed discomfort or back pain. Yes I replaced the run flats with normal tyres when they wore but that was mostly down to the silly cost of run flats which imo were not offering anything to justify the difference in price. The M Sport suspension is quite acceptable for every day driving on normal roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

OP if you are in areas susceptible to winter weather be aware 3 Series is RWD which unless you take appropiate action (winter tyres or weight in the boot) can leave you stranded in winter should the weather turn bad like this year. A4 and Octavia are FWD or AWD and dont suffer to same extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I have a 2007 SE 335i with MSport suspension which had runflats when I bought it. I recently swapped to normal goodyear eagle f1's and it has improved the car no end. The runflats give you a false sense of "handling" because the car handles just as well, if not better with normal tyres.

HandsomeDan - I suppose Matt has anger issues because he knows a lot more about BMWs than you?? :P

SE spec is for wafting about slowly.. which IMO a 3 series isnt a great choice for.
    I'm sorry, but I think this is nonsense. In my experience a 320d SE on 16" wheels with runflats is quite firm and well damped enough for fast everyday driving.

I'm sorry, but I think this is nonsense. In my experience a 320d SE on 16" wheels with runflats is quite firm and well damped enough for fast everyday driving.

True, But it looks sh*te on the outside and has a terrible drop which detracts from the lines and looks of the car.

But whatever your having yourself.

What about car parks lads ?
    If it has the M Sport kit, would it scrape going down ramps ?
    How high off the ground does a car need to be to be car-park worthy ?

I havent scraped mine in any multi storey that ive entered since owning it.
    In fact, on certain ramps where my E60 would rub, the E90 doesnt.
    E60 Sport on 19" 172M wheels.
    E90 Sport on 18" MV3 wheels.

on standard msport, not a chance tbh. Only if you lowered it more or added some additional splitters to the front.

Great !
    Now I've got to contemplate going accross the border to get one.
    Looking at the coupe's. 8-9k including VRT realistic for a decent one ?
    Difficult to get a decent M3 for this budget I reckon.

Probably sell private the octavia. Hopefully get 5k ish

• Advertisement

Difficult to get a decent M3 for this budget I reckon.

What are you looking for?
    a 329d or an M3, im confused now :confused:

Looking at the coupe's. 8-9k including VRT realistic for a decent one ?

Not a hope in hell in my opinion.

Advertisement