Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aghameen Park, Dundalk

Options
  • 15-04-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm trying to learn about the Aghameen Park area of Dundalk. I'm thinking of moving there but do not know the neighborhood. Is anyone familiar with it? I would appreciate any information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All I can say is that I would avoid that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

All I can say is that I would avoid that area.

Have to agree with Gibson Wide Index, look elsewhere if you want a quiet life

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd have to +2 the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bryjordan1

Thank you, Srameen, Indiewindy and MugsMugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Are you going to make such an important decision by relying on the opinions of three strangers?

Why don't you come to Dundalk and take a walk around the area yourself? Better yet, whilst there, talk to some people that live there, particularly close to the house you were thinking about. That way you can make up your own mind.

That estate is no better or worse than any other in Dundalk. I know plenty of good people that live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

mod9maple wrote: »
    Are you going to make such an important decision by relying on the opinions of three strangers?

Why don't you come to Dundalk and take a walk around the area yourself? Better yet, whilst there, talk to some people that live there, particularly close to the house you were thinking about. That way you can make up your own mind.

That estate is no better or worse than any other in Dundalk. I know plenty of good people that live there.

I am sure there is a lot of good people that live there , however there is no getting away from the fact that it is a rough area , surrounded by more rough areas.

Little Pea wrote: »
    I am sure there is a lot of good people that live there , however there is no getting away from the fact that it is a rough area , surrounded by more rough areas.

Define 'rough'. :rolleyes:

Define 'rough'. :rolleyes:

Are you really going to argue over the colour black ? Its a rough council estate , surrounded By Muirhevnamor and Doolargy Avenue which are more council estates. Like I said I am sure there are lovely people that live there, If given the option I wouldnt be one.

Are you really going to argue over the colour black ? Its a rough council estate , surrounded By Muirhevnamor and Doolargy Avenue which are more council estates. Like I said I am sure there are lovely people that live there, If given the option I wouldnt be one.

No I'm arguing that your opinion could be wrong. By your rationale all council estates are 'rough' - a phrase you still haven't defined. Have you ever lived in any of those estates? I have, and had no problems. I also lived in an estate on the Carrick Rd, which many would consider very middle class - and my experience was not a pleasant one.

OP - to really find out, come visit. And ignore prejudices. That's my advice, feel free to do with that what you will. Good luck in your search.

No I'm arguing that your opinion could be wrong. By your rationale all council estates are 'rough' - a phrase you still haven't defined. Have you ever lived in any of those estates? I have, and had no problems. I also lived in an estate on the Carrick Rd, which many would consider very middle class - and my experience was not a pleasant one.

OP - to really find out, come visit. And ignore prejudices. That's my advice, feel free to do with that what you will. Good luck in your search.

try this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Rough means rough - and that area is rough. Absolutely no way I'd recommend it anybody who has any choice as to where they live.

I'll not rise to your bait.

OP - my remark stands. Good luck.

I'll not rise to your bait.

OP - my remark stands. Good luck.

Listen the last link was a bit of a joke , however the biggest joke of this thread is you trying to tell the OP that an estate that is surrounded by Doolargy avenue and Muirhevnamor(both known for been rough) is not going to be rough ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

FWIW, I moved to Tralee last year and asked a similiar question in the Tralee thread, got a similiar response, something along the lines of

"Avoid estates A,B and C"

then

"You can't say that they're all rough estates, I know plenty of lovely people in A" etc etc.

My point being that A, B and C turned out to be rough. What one terms "rough" doesn't really come into it, most of us have a good idea what the general consensus of a "rough estate" means. Saying that there are plenty of good people there is of no use to the OP, the few scumbags are what makes a difference. There are plenty of good people in the South Bronx.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Oh, Little Pea, thank you so much for that!

I was recently criticised by the mods of another forum (whose charter does not forbid sarcasm) for posting sarcastically.

The fact that I can now point to a Mod using www.lmgtfy.com is gold to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bryjordan1

I certainly did not mean to start a controversy with my question. I grew up in a place many considered rough and then some, and I know there were many good people there. My problem with going to Dundalk to check out the area is that I live in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Bryjordan1 wrote: »
    I certainly did not mean to start a controversy with my question. I grew up in a place many considered rough and then some, and I know there were many good people there. My problem with going to Dundalk to check out the area is that I live in the U.S.

Yeah, I think there's a full moon tonight or something.

Listen, there's some smashing people living there and in the surrounding areas. Absolutely smashing. Really nice and very pleasant. It is however a council estate and surrounded by more counsel estates and the fact is the minority kick up loud enough to be seen as the majority and cause anti social issues. That is the reason I would not recommend it. There are as already pointed out middle class areas with issues too. No matter where you go you're going to be near somebody you'd rather not and personally in my experience the best way to minimise risk is to avoid it. That said I live in a middle classed area of Dundalk and had a knife pulled on me not so long ago. That's just the way it goes OP..... But I don't live next door to them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Bryjordan1 wrote: »

Let's try and help you out a little, I expect you may be an IT worker and want easy access to your job site. You may be single or have a family and need accommodation for them as well.

Would something like this be to your liking ?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1328827

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

...and my experience was not a pleasant one..
    deccurley wrote: »
    ... the few scumbags are what makes a difference. There are plenty of good people in the South Bronx.
    MugMugs wrote: »
    ...the fact is the minority kick up loud enough to be seen as the majority and cause anti social issues. ...No matter where you go you're going to be near somebody you'd rather not... middle classed area of Dundalk and had a knife pulled on me not so long ago...

Christ on a bike!!

Welcome to Dundalk OP!!
    :eek::eek::eek:

It's really not as bad as all that! Good lord! I agree with most of the posters on here, if you didn't grow up in a council estate its not a good idea to move to one later in life, especially with you not being from Ireland. Is it a family house you are looking for, or an apartment for a single person/couple?

Are you buying or renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bren.c

what are the good and bad areas in dundalk?

• Advertisement
Advertisement