Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeland Season 3 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Was checking Wikipedia to see if the actress who plays Fara was in anything else, as she seems familiar and found this utterly mental story about how she was Tom Cruise's girlfriend for two months, after being auditioned by Scientology leaders and told that she had been selected for a secret important mission. Original article is from Vanity Fair. Well worth a read: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/09/tom-cruise-scientology-marriage-katie-holmes

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭claypigeon777

So is Fara, the young Muslim American who is eager to prove her patriotism, going to become a replacement for Carrie?
    Saul, a Jewish American who probably loves Israel as much as the U.S., is the boss who she has to win over?
    Quinn is initially hyper-suspicious of Fara but that suspicion softens as she earns his professional respect, their friendship grows and they fall in love? Is Carrie's persecution Saul's plan to lure Brody back to the U.S.?
    Is Dar Adal a traitor and the real mastermind of the attack on the CIA and he is manipulating Saul into persecuting Carrie because she is the only one who can stop him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

vitani wrote: »
    Was checking Wikipedia to see if the actress who plays Fara was in anything else, as she seems familiar
    and found this: "In February 2011, she debuted as Nora, a love interest for Neil Patrick Harris's character Barney Stinson, on the sixth season of the hit CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazanin_Boniadi

beazee wrote: »
    and found this: "In February 2011, she debuted as Nora, a love interest for Neil Patrick Harris's character Barney Stinson, on the sixth season of the hit CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother."

She was also recruited by the Church of Scientology to be Tom Cruise's girlfriend. After their "relationship" ended she was punished and forced to clean toilets with a toothbrush and dig ditches at night at their facility in Florida.

Weird.

Boniadi is also heavily involved in campaigns against the Iranian regime and her character in homeland is involved in intelligence operations against Iranian terrorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

We got enough lip pouting and eyebrow raising from Carrie in the first episode - face it, she's as daft as a brush.
    A Muslim CIA analyist is beyond belief and Dana is becoming a grade A sourpuss. God, I hope it moves on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

recipio wrote: »
    A Muslim CIA analyist is beyond belief...

It is? :confused:

We got enough lip pouting and eyebrow raising from Carrie in the first episode - face it, she's as daft as a brush.
    A Muslim CIA analyist is beyond belief and Dana is becoming a grade A sourpuss. God, I hope it moves on.

Why would a Muslim CIA analyst be beyond belief? American intelligence agencies could presumably use them to infiltrate the Middle East, they speak the language, they know the customs, languages, the Islamic faith, they have contacts and they can fit in if they are on a deep cover mission to recruit informants and gather intelligence. I would image that many of the special forces units helping the FSA are of Muslim American background.
    During the Cold War Russian-Americans or Americans of Eastern European background were heavily recruited to keep tabs on the Soviets.

It is? :confused:

Perhaps I should have said a practicing muslim.Asking a young inexperienced Muslim to investigate an atrocity by a fellow Muslim just stretches things too far for me. Bit like asking a priest to investigate paedophilia in the catholic Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Perhaps I should have said a practicing muslim.Asking a young inexperienced Muslim to investigate an atrocity by a fellow Muslim just stretches things too far for me. Bit like asking a priest to investigate paedophilia in the catholic Church.

I'm sure plenty of Catholics have investigated the church scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

So they had sex in everybody else's bed clothes then? Yuck.

• Advertisement

snausages wrote: »
    So they had sex in everybody else's bed clothes then? Yuck.

:D You missed the open washing machine door - they pulled out bedclothes in their ( ahem ) frenzy. At least that's how I read it. Actually since Brodie's wife stopped stripping there hasn't been enough sex. More please.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

First off, the CIA has practicing Muslims working for it. Did you see Zero Dark Thirty?

Second, assuming no priest could investigate Paedophilia in the Church automatically assumes they are all dishonest and/or paedophiles. I'm sure I don't have to point out how that's not a great starting point for an opinion.

Same things goes for a Muslim investigating something carried out by a Muslim - they are not automatically in favour of or sympathetic too the person they are after simply because they belong to a similar ethnic or religious grouping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Had to watch episode two in three installments - other thinks like dishes to be washed, nose to pick, paint to watch dry kept distracting me.
    Epic fail - I don't know what the viewing figures are for this season but I'd imagine this will be its last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Had to watch episode two in three installments - other thinks like dishes to be washed, nose to pick, paint to watch dry kept distracting me.
    Epic fail - I don't know what the viewing figures are for this season but I'd imagine this will be its last.

I haven't even finished it yet. I really need something better than Homeland to tune into every week. Will Walking Dead season 4 be that show I wonder? (lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Saw it last nite on RTE2, While Carrie's getting Electro Shock Therapy, i think the whole show should get it, to shake it up a bit. Even Quinn knows something's wrong & wants to leave as well :(

But there maybe a change soon
    the announcer after the opening credits had mentioned that ''Brody's coming back next week, & not even the US know that yet''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

snausages wrote: »
    I haven't even finished it yet. I really need something better than Homeland to tune into every week. Will Walking Dead season 4 be that show I wonder? (lol)

Even the walking dead know what direction they're going :P

First off, the CIA has practicing Muslims working for it. Did you see Zero Dark Thirty?

Second, assuming no priest could investigate Paedophilia in the Church automatically assumes they are all dishonest and/or paedophiles. I'm sure I don't have to point out how that's not a great starting point for an opinion.

Same things goes for a Muslim investigating something carried out by a Muslim - they are not automatically in favour of or sympathetic too the person they are after simply because they belong to a similar ethnic or religious grouping.

Eh......we're talking about a TV show not the real world. Lighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

They could write Carrie and Dana out of the next episode and it wouldn't bother me, I'm kinda over this,nearly time to move on.
    Then they go and give Quinn emotions when his character was fine the way it was,this better shake itself up with something major like Sauls wife and her Jihadi mates launching an attack on Washinton,which would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

As someone already said I hate that they drag these American shows out. I always think it's better to leave you wanting more than the other way around. If this had been a one season show it would have been excellent. No idea how they are going to bring Brody back into it without it seeming completely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Saw it last nite on RTE2, While Carrie's getting Electro Shock Therapy, i think the whole show should get it, to shake it up a bit. Even Quinn knows something's wrong & wants to leave as well :(

But there maybe a change soon
    the announcer after the opening credits had mentioned that ''Brody's coming back next week, & not even the US know that yet''

The copy I got from my american cousins had a preview of next weeks episode and
    it confirms what the RTE announcer said

Eh......we're talking about a TV show not the real world. Lighten up.

You were the one complaining about it not being realistic

As far as I can remember, Damien Lewis told Graham Norton and 10 million other people months ago that he wouldn't show up until episode three.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

beazee wrote: »

That was annoying me. I knew I'd seen her before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

copperhead wrote: »
    i also have a feeling that saul is dodgey out and that he's the terriost kingpin

That bit from season 1 where he avoided then almost failed the polygraph is still at the back of my head. I'd watch out for that beardyman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

Yeah I found the scene with Saul's outburst quite ignorant, was the equivalent of associating Irish people with the IRA imo. The show has gone to the dogs, it's boring. I'll give it another episode or 2 and if there isn't a huge improvement I'm out.

sassyj wrote: »
    Yeah I found the scene with Saul's outburst quite ignorant, was the equivalent of associating Irish people with the IRA imo. The show has gone to the dogs, it's boring. I'll give it another episode or 2 and if there isn't a huge improvement I'm out.

Well.....I thought the scene was set with Quinn and Saul staring in disbelief for about 10 secs at the new Muslim analyist. The writers obviously want to create a frissonbetween her and Saul - a Jew.
    I just can't buy that the CIA would bounce staff around in such a careless manner - like Saul, the head of the investigation, never knew she was coming. ?!
    A little more gritty reality and less soap opera would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I read that as him pushing her buttons to get her to work harder.

Seriously though is you had an Irish person working for MI5 walking in with a black beret on, you an expect some blowback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Saul, the head of the investigation
    Is Saul now the head of the CIA, or, if not, do we know who is? If he is the head, why is he doing this investigation himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

I read that as him pushing her buttons to get her to work harder.

Seriously though is you had an Irish person working for MI5 walking in with a black beret on, you an expect some blowback.

I wouldn't consider wearing a head scarf political though, it's a religious observance.
    I just didn't buy it, where I work there are people of different nationalities and seeing women in head scarves is part of the landscape, and that's in Ireland. Saul and Peter gawping at her when she walked in like an alien had landed was stupid.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider wearing a head scarf political though, it's a religious observance.
    I just didn't buy it, where I work there are people of different nationalities and seeing women in head scarves is part of the landscape, and that's in Ireland. Saul and Peter gawping at her when she walked in like an alien had landed was stupid.

You're country isn't under the threat of jihad.

These things gain significance.

Nah.. in an environment like Saul is in multicultural differences do not matter. People have been around too much at that level. Turning up wearing a "Bin Laden's a ride" t-shirt might be breaching office etiquette - but as an above poster intimated, the intelligence community is used to using Russians against communism, Germans (Nazis even, Von Braun take a bow) against Nazis, Irish against Irish.
    For somebody as experienced as Saul to be insulted by a scarf is unbelievable. I could see him ticking off a junior for saying something - but not the man saying it himself.
    It is a sign of a show thats drowning when even the writers don't understand who the characters are. I'll lay money Mandy Patinkin said something similar before the take if he still gives a toss.

You're country isn't under the threat of jihad.

These things gain significance.
    I think if a manager had said that to a worker in the work place in real life,he could find himself in a bit of hot water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Nah.. in an environment like Saul is in multicultural differences do not matter. People have been around too much at that level. Turning up wearing a "Bin Laden's a ride" t-shirt might be breaching office etiquette - but as an above poster intimated, the intelligence community is used to using Russians against communism, Germans (Nazis even, Von Braun take a bow) against Nazis, Irish against Irish.
    For somebody as experienced as Saul to be insulted by a scarf is unbelievable. I could see him ticking off a junior for saying something - but not the man saying it himself.
    It is a sign of a show thats drowning when even the writers don't understand who the characters are. I'll lay money Mandy Patinkin said something similar before the take if he still gives a toss.

It depends where they take his character, for me. Last season, I'd agree. Saul never had a problem with Islam. But I think it's possible that he could have been insulted by it after the explosion - he's just lost nearly every single person he's worked with for god knows how many years, and he's now shouldered with responsibility that he doesn't really want to take on. He found himself ordering executions the previous week which seemed to go against his moral code. It would take an exceptional person not to feel different after all of that.

If I worked for the CIA I'm imagine paranoia would be a daily obsession. Would you trust a new Muslim operative straight off.? I'd want her frisked and x-rayed and would read her dossier ten times regardless of what's on her cv. I suspect Carrie will have that attitude when she puts in the ( inevietable ) return

If I worked for the CIA I'm imagine paranoia would be a daily obsession. Would you trust a new Muslim operative straight off.? I'd want her frisked and x-rayed and would read her dossier ten times regardless of what's on her cv. I suspect Carrie will have that attitude when she puts in the ( inevietable ) return
    Yes,you may well carry that paranoia but it would be very unprofessional and serious lack of disicipline to practically blurt it right out to the person.

You don't get a job in the CIA without an exhaustive background check so what you should probably do is assume the recruiters/hirers/interviewers know what they're doing and wouldn't have given the job to her if she was suspect - then get on with your own job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

lesus christ

lesus christ

He applied for the CIA job, but Saul felt the bathrobe and the carrying of the cross thing was a bit anti-muslim. He's regretting it now he's seen the headscarf.

You don't get a job in the CIA without an exhaustive background check so what you should probably do is assume the recruiters/hirers/interviewers know what they're doing and wouldn't have given the job to her if she was suspect - then get on with your own job.

You mean like they did to Roya and Brody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Was this weeks episode any better? Not sure if I will bother but interested to hear opinions.

Nope. Dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't stand characters like that doctor, completely overacting everything with that stupid voice they put on to try and make everything they say sound important. See it so often in American tv shows, really really annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Was this weeks episode any better? Not sure if I will bother but interested to hear opinions.
    No, I thought it was even worse than the last two.

You mean like they did to Roya and Brody?

Neither of whom worked for the CIA at any point in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Oh well, guess thats me out then. It'll be a relief not to have to listen to Dana Brody whining on anymore!

AdamD wrote: »
    Can't stand characters like that doctor, completely overacting everything with that stupid voice they put on to try and make everything they say sound important. See it so often in American tv shows, really really annoys me.

That doctor is like something they picked up in the Chelsea district of Manhattan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he so should have blown himself up in the last ep of season 1

we don't know yet how they are going to bring this round, how carrie is connected to these guys and the reason why brody is still useful but he still should have went boom

So we now have a show about a mental patient in DC with father issues and a confused bloke on heroin living in some weird tenement in Caracas. Perhaps its the TV version of Adam and Paula.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the writers for Dexter have taken over.

How did this show get so so so bad?

Advertisement