Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for 40 year old boat??

Options
  • 15-04-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all

I've recently purchased a Fairline 19 circa 1973, the boat is in great condition and needed only minor cosmetic work which I have been doing and enjoying. I had a mind to stick it on a marina around Athlone somewhere for the summer months and as you guys will know these places insist on insurance and rightly so. Thing is Allianz wont even bloody quote me because the vessel is 40 years old.

Anyone ever had this problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The last old boat I owned I had to get an marine engineers report in and out of the water "not cheep" :eek: There is a list of surveyors here http://www.iwai.ie/boatingservices.html I used Eugene Curry and he did a very good job of checking over the boat. http://www.currymarine.ie/about_us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tannoy

Thanks fergal,

I was coming around to that conclusion myself alright.
    I've seen boats sitting on marinas that make mine look brand new, this is a real pisser.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It would be no harm to get a survey done anyway just incase you missed something. If you can stick up some photos of her I love old boats :D

Right you are fergal, tis a wealthy mans pastime this.

Here's the little Fairline 19, they made them from 69 to 77 so there might be hope for me yet ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23330221/pic1.JPG
    pic2.JPG

Very nice, I love the shape of the windows:)
    How were your floor timbers,there is only a small gap between them and the bilge and with water splashing about these can often be rotten.

073.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

My boat is also 40 years old, a GP14 dinghy. I had the same problems as you, trying with a few companies, and they all wouldn't insure it because it was too old. However, I eventually got a quote with Craftinsure and they had no age restrictions. Probably should check them out, even if you're going to get the survey done as well.

Hi Conchir

Thanks for that, I will definitely have a look at those guys.

Hey fergal, I have no problems like that at all thank god, believe it or not the guy who sold it to me stored it indoors for many years after he bought it from a chap in England who must have treated it like a baby.....got to prove that by getting a survey done though I suppose.

Conchir wrote: »
    My boat is also 40 years old, a GP14 dinghy. I had the same problems as you, trying with a few companies, and they all wouldn't insure it because it was too old. However, I eventually got a quote with Craftinsure and they had no age restrictions. Probably should check them out, even if you're going to get the survey done as well.

Looks like Im going with this place, very quick and easy.

Thanks again Conchir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Conchir wrote: »

Word of warning, I am not convinced that this is correct. I'm trying to insure a boat that's just turned 40 at the moment and craftinsure had this in their T&Cs:
    The boat is not more than 40 years old now. If over 20 years old and more than 23ft in length, she will have a survey report not more than 3 years old from a qualified yacht surveyor with all the recommendations complied with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Word of warning, I am not convinced that this is correct. I'm trying to insure a boat that's just turned 40 at the moment and craftinsure had this in their T&Cs:

Correct and very important.

There also are 'zone' exclusions - Ardmore, Arklow, Bray, Balbriggan, Bally Castle, Ballyholme Bay, Bannow Bay, Bantry Bay, Brittas Bay, Burtonport, Cork Harbour, Cloughey Bay, Courtmacsherry, Cultra, Cushendall, Dingle, Dun Laoghaire (other than Yacht Club moorings), Dunmore East, Dunmanus Bay and Harbour, Fenit, Greystones, Helens Bay, Hollywood, Kilmore Quay, Lawrence Cove, Lough Swilly, Newton Abbey, Red Bay, Rush, Skerries, Teelan Bay, Whitehead or Wicklow.

Ignore any of the conditions and you will not be insured.

• Advertisement

I see that there alright
    Thanks lads :(

Hmm I may have jumped the gun folks, I wasn't entirely right.

I rang them yesterday (my boat also turned 40 this year and I really don't want to fork out when I know the boat is in excellent condition) and asked what the deal is, do I need a condition report etc etc and they said that it's a mistake, the man I was speaking with said he didn't know how it hadn't been spotted before but that they normally insure up to 50 years without a survey. He said he'd ensure that no exclusions about being over 40 would be in the policy if I decide to insure with them.

Contact them maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Make sure that you check the policy wording when you get it!

Hmm I may have jumped the gun folks, I wasn't entirely right.

I rang them yesterday (my boat also turned 40 this year and I really don't want to fork out when I know the boat is in excellent condition) and asked what the deal is, do I need a condition report etc etc and they said that it's a mistake, the man I was speaking with said he didn't know how it hadn't been spotted before but that they normally insure up to 50 years without a survey. He said he'd ensure that no exclusions about being over 40 would be in the policy if I decide to insure with them.

Contact them maybe?

Am I reading this right "they normally insure up to 50 years old without a survey" :eek:

I would imagine it depends on the length of the boat. I think their T&Cs say a survey/condition report is required over 20 years if the boat is 23ft or longer. My boat is a one design keelboat 19ft long that's still very popular and known to be fairly reliable (squib). I haven't a clue about boats that have engines though, maybe it depends? Anyway, it's worth calling them.

Nice boat, I'm sure your not restricted from sailing around Dún Laoghaire :)

I'd love to believe it but during my own inquiries I spoke to a company in Britain who would not insure a boat over 25 years without a full survey...practically slammed the phone down when I told them my boats age so it seems a bit conflicting.

I'll check it out though.

Advertisement